Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do i do first?!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do i do first?!

just got a 2000 Z28 for a steal. its pretty high milage, but its one owner and looks to be completely stock. oh, and its a california car. it needs a new rear end. im thinking 9" because my plans are to take it racing. the steering rack is leaking so i need a new one of those put on. And it looks like the rear main seal for the engine appears to be leaking.

so what do i do first?!

oh, and i think im gonna seafoam the engine before i get a full tune up done on it
Old 03-31-2007, 05:40 PM
Teching In

What to do first what? If you mean modding I would fix everything first then mod.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with winterftbl, you need to bring it up to maintenance perfection before I would suggest spending money on mods.

Now, once it is running 100%, I would do mods in this order;

-CAGS delete
-Subframe connectors
-Whisper Lid
-Cat back
-Intake
-Headers and the rest of the exhaust to the cat
-Cam
-Suspension
-Tires
and then you can pretty much go from there N/A, or you can always spray, until something goes BOOM, or decides to brake.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

2 good responses. Best thing to do regardles is get everything up to par mechanically esecially with a higher mileage car. Then let the mods begin.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Allergik2dyin
2 good responses. Best thing to do regardles is get everything up to par mechanically esecially with a higher mileage car. Then let the mods begin.
Definitely good responses. I bought my SS for $4000 last year, and had a few issues to take care of. One Im still hunting down when I have time. IMO a 9" is out of the question, way overkill, and usually a 12 bolt might be too. You can build a pretty hardcore stocker for under 1g and keep more power at the ground. Theres lots of good parts out there for them. Thats my .02

Define your high mileage. I got 193 on mine. 187 when I got it.
Old 04-01-2007, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Default Mods

I know there is a section for all the mods one can do on there car but what is the best to provide more hp right off the bat?

Thanks
Eddie

I got a steal also I think

1996 camaro 6cyl, but with only 112000 on it, that is good average for miles...
Old 04-01-2007, 03:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Definitely good responses. I bought my SS for $4000 last year, and had a few issues to take care of. One Im still hunting down when I have time. IMO a 9" is out of the question, way overkill, and usually a 12 bolt might be too. You can build a pretty hardcore stocker for under 1g and keep more power at the ground. Theres lots of good parts out there for them. Thats my .02

Define your high mileage. I got 193 on mine. 187 when I got it.

mine just broke 150K miles. its really comforting to know that these engines keep running strong for so many miles if they were taken care of.

last night i was told something about a Torsen T2R for the 10bolt and thats what a lot of auto X / road racing guys are using. so i figure i'll do a little research on that. probably the way i'll end up going since road racing doesnt rape the rear end like dragging does.

theres a dedicated rear end shop near my house so im gonna go talk to them
Old 04-01-2007, 03:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Road racing mods... **** loads of suspension pieces and a cam that will promote good pull off the turn. Oh and a cutout for the track!
Old 04-03-2007, 01:46 AM
Staging Lane

i would go gears first imo
Old 04-03-2007, 12:59 PM
Launching!

i would say as to the rear end i would go with the 12 bolt before the 9". they are both strong enough, i guess its just prefference but i like the 12 alot more then the 9". you might be able to build the 10 bolt up enough if u have an a4 car, but at least in my experiences the banging of the gears in the m6 cars is just to much!! if you drive the car HARD with a 10 bolt in a M6 car i am voting for it breaking!! sooner or later. just my oppinoin. but before anything do like everyone else said and fix the other probs before you mod anything. you have to have a good base to start from.