Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS6 hood/ram air conversion...

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WS6 hood/ram air conversion...

My 68 camaro (with a 383) is still far too unreliable. I needed a daily driver so I picked up a stock red 99 TA convertible (ls1/a4) last weekend. It is a beautiful car. This means I'm moving from camaros.net to this forum, which I have been reading for a couple weeks. So hello everyone.

I told myself I'd keep the TA stock, because I do like getting really great gas mileage, and reliablity is a plus.

One thing I had been thinking about, however, is putting on the ram air ws6 style hood. I like the way the ram air hood looks. I'd really like to get the benefit of the hood's ram air effect, which presumably is part of the difference in listed stock HP between the ws6 and the TA. I was thinking of getting a ws6 hood, and the airbox from a ws6, and putting them on my car.

Question 1) Will that increase my power?

Question 2) Do I have to get an OEM hood, or can I get an aftermarket hood? Do some aftermarket hoods offer more performance gains than others?

I've tried to research this issue on this forum, but to no great success. Help would be appreciated.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out our site sponser ws6store.com, they have a selection of hoods. The Suncoast Raptor hood can be used with a functional airbox.

Edit: Congrats on your new purchase, and welcome to LS1tech
Old 08-21-2007, 08:28 PM
12 Second Club

1) what i heard it really only a difference at like high speeds if anything
Old 08-22-2007, 12:31 AM
((((((Administrator))))))

Thumbs up

Well first off WELCOME!!!

1) The so called hp difference between the T/A and WS6 is a combination of the ram air hood and the exhaust. Dynojet numbers of the two show about the same numbers.

2) The best fitting hood is the stock WS6 hoods, but they are very hard to find. The aftermarket ones are not that bad, you will have to adjust them and maybe some other body parts like the headlight cover's and maybe the fender's.

We have plenty of sponsors that carry aftermarket hoods, check them out --->
I bought my Suncoast Creations Raptor hood from www.TByrne.com they are great to deal with! Plus I like the options Suncoast Creations hoods has to offer, like the cowl vent's option:

Peace,
Craig.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I heard it was partially the exhaust. I don't think I want to mess with the exhaust too much because I don't want it to be LOUD like my 383. I've got LT headers and a flowmaster american thunder kit on my camaro, and it is loud. I actually don't mind the stock sound on the LS1. Plus, I've got a powertrain warranty on the car and I think modifying it in that fashion would void the warranty.
Besides, I promised myself I'd keep this car stock! That promise might be hard to keep.
I've seen the Suncoast hoods. For the price they are asking I think I can spend a bit more and get an OEM hood. Does anyone have any experience with other hoods?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:41 AM
12 Second Club

I just sold a WS6 lower airbox and a WS6 (Donalson Performance) airbox lid. Expect to pay a pretty penny for these items. I just sold the lid for $200 and the airbox for $105. I could have gotten more, but they sold within hours of listing them because these are difficult to get your hands on now that production has stopped.

OEM WS6 Trans Am Lower Ram Air Box LS1 Engine 1998-2002

Donaldson Blackwing Air Induction Box Lid 98-02 LS1 SLP
Old 08-22-2007, 02:40 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by rp0029
I heard it was partially the exhaust. I don't think I want to mess with the exhaust too much because I don't want it to be LOUD like my 383. I've got LT headers and a flowmaster american thunder kit on my camaro, and it is loud. I actually don't mind the stock sound on the LS1. Plus, I've got a powertrain warranty on the car and I think modifying it in that fashion would void the warranty.
Besides, I promised myself I'd keep this car stock! That promise might be hard to keep.
I've seen the Suncoast hoods. For the price they are asking I think I can spend a bit more and get an OEM hood. Does anyone have any experience with other hoods?
Depends on who works on your car with that aftermarket warranty. Alot of speed shops (like our sponsors) will do warranty work, just depends if that company sends an adjuster out to see the damage and if they don't mind small bolt-ons.
You could get a Borla adj. cat-back with a QTEC electric gate to adjust the flow into the muffler. I have that on my T/A and a few other mods like ZO6 cam (can't tell with its 117lsa), MTI lid, shifter, and I went to a Pontiac dealer for a pinion leak in the axle. They really could have said something since I had a shifter but they were cool.

The Suncoast hoods are pretty good, they fit better then most other hoods I've seen. And good luck getting a WS6 hood from GM, they are around $1,800 - $2,000 + shipping + more handling fee's if shipped to a house and not a business.

Originally Posted by chae
I just sold a WS6 lower airbox and a WS6 (Donalson Performance) airbox lid. Expect to pay a pretty penny for these items. I just sold the lid for $200 and the airbox for $105. I could have gotten more, but they sold within hours of listing them because these are difficult to get your hands on now that production has stopped.

OEM WS6 Trans Am Lower Ram Air Box LS1 Engine 1998-2002

Donaldson Blackwing Air Induction Box Lid 98-02 LS1 SLP
I didn't know they stopped selling the lower air box assembly, and they used to sell for $60 from GMPartsdirect.com

$200 for just a lid is really really steep. You can get an MTI clear or carbon fiber lid with a K&N filter new for $179.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 08-22-2007, 02:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CRAGER
I didn't know they stopped selling the lower air box assembly, and they used to sell for $60 from GMPartsdirect.com
I was specifically talking about the Donaldson lid. I've seen them go for $250+ on eBay, but sold mine for $200. I listed it at 11:30PM and by 1AM (the next morning) it had sold ("Buy it Now") and I had received payment thru Paypal.

$200 for just a lid is really really steep. You can get an MTI clear or carbon fiber lid with a K&N filter new for $179.
Just giving him an idea of what they go for. I've seen them go for more (see above). There are better aftermarket options
Old 08-22-2007, 03:12 AM

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by chae
I was specifically talking about the Donaldson lid. I've seen them go for $250+ on eBay, but sold mine for $200. I listed it at 11:30PM and by 1AM (the next morning) it had sold ("Buy it Now") and I had received payment thru Paypal.

Just giving him an idea of what they go for. I've seen them go for more (see above). There are better aftermarket options
Ok, got ya!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I bought a US Exotics WS9 hood that's shown below. I paid around 600.00 for it and Roger's customer service is second-to-none. You have to catch Ebay when he has one up for sale. They fit like a glove ... you buy it, then he makes it and two weeks it's to-your-door and the shipping isn't bad, either. I bought my lower WS6 airbox for $78.00 from www.gmpartsdirect.com. AS for increased volumetric efficiency, it forces air driectly into the manifold ... not a lot of difference in power, but, I could tell a difference at speeds over about 60mph.

Here it is painted"

Old 08-22-2007, 05:41 AM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
I bought a US Exotics WS9 hood that's shown below. I paid around 600.00 for it and Roger's customer service is second-to-none. You have to catch Ebay when he has one up for sale. They fit like a glove ... you buy it, then he makes it and two weeks it's to-your-door and the shipping isn't bad, either. I bought my lower WS6 airbox for $78.00 from www.gmpartsdirect.com. AS for increased volumetric efficiency, it forces air driectly into the manifold ... not a lot of difference in power, but, I could tell a difference at speeds over about 60mph.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...1/PIC00005.jpg

Here it is painted"

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...1/PIC00047.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...1/PIC00035.jpg
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...1/PIC00067.jpg
I can't believe that I forgot about those hoods! That WS9 hood looks badass on your car. And I see the fitment is pretty good, looks like passanger's side hinge is off a hair (mine's worse), and your headlight covers are also just a hair off (mine is worse...again lol).

Peace,
Craig.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:47 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got me a WS9 hood too, Cant wait to get it painted!! I also ran into trouble getting my hands on any decent ws6 hood.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

The hood will not give you any more power. Some people like the looks of it and some don't, so it's up to you to decide if you want to do it as an appearance mod.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
I love the heat extractors in that hood. Looks awesome. A Vert T/A w/ a WS9 hood, ram-air air box, Magnaflow cat back, and 315's in the back is one of my dream cars.

rp0029, congrats on your purch!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Well first off WELCOME!!!

1) The so called hp difference between the T/A and WS6 is a combination of the ram air hood and the exhaust. Dynojet numbers of the two show about the same numbers.

2) The best fitting hood is the stock WS6 hoods, but they are very hard to find. The aftermarket ones are not that bad, you will have to adjust them and maybe some other body parts like the headlight cover's and maybe the fender's.

We have plenty of sponsors that carry aftermarket hoods, check them out --->
I bought my Suncoast Creations Raptor hood from www.TByrne.com they are great to deal with! Plus I like the options Suncoast Creations hoods has to offer, like the cowl vent's optioneace,
Craig.
That is a sweet hood. I didn't know those had cowl vents...definitely a bonus!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Cyborg
That is a sweet hood. I didn't know those had cowl vents...definitely a bonus!
Thank you sir!

The cowl heat extractors are optional for around $100, and another option is Suncoast Creations ram air filter and box assembly. Also I like these heat extractors best because they're vertical and not on the top of the hood where they are pretty much rain catchers.

Peace,
Craig.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

Yeah I love my WS9 Outlaw hood. Its just like the WS9 hood but slightly raised. My sig has a better side profile.

Old 08-22-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the compliments ... as for the hood adjustments, the lights are dead-on, but, the rear corners of the hood haven't been adjusted since the shop painted the hood. I told them I'd just adjudt it myself. It's off on both sides about 3/32 of an inch. Only can see it at a side angle. Once I get off my lazy *** and adjust it, the fitment is perfect. It's such a perfect fitting that SLP bought the design from US Exotics. I explored the Outlaw Hood, as well ... just too much hood for my liking ... great hood if you have a blower that won't clear a normal ram air hood or if you just like, the taller hood.
As for power, figure the volumetric efficiency per cylinder from a straighter direct flow of air forced into the intake and draw your own conclusions as to whether more power is made. That debate will be around until the end of time. There is a formula for it is here and looking at the formula, you can read that mass airflow into the cylinders is based on xx.xx lbs/min, so, I don't see that ram air effect at higher speeds would not give it some added HP. Read for yourself at Installuniversity.com. click the link below if you're interested.

Volumetric Efficiency

Last edited by JEB99TA; 08-23-2007 at 04:39 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 07:56 PM
On The Tree

oh by the way guys I just got a GM hood shipped to me for less than $1500, still not cheap but it showed up in a couple days. ordered Friday here on monday, to be exact. the website I got it from was awesome. www.gmpartsdepartment.com
Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

$1500 ????? You gotta' be joking, right?

Quick Reply: WS6 hood/ram air conversion...