Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WS6 Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default WS6 Exhaust

My 99 T/A a4 vert is bone stock. I love the way it is reliable, the way it is QUIET, and the fact that it gets excellent gas mileage (unlike my carbed 383 68 camaro). I would like to retain the characteristics of a stock vehicle mentioned above, but I want the car to be faster. Frankly I would like to see more seat of the pants accelleration. This is a car I want to drive to work, and it needs to be reliable, and I'd like it to last. It has 64,000 miles.
I don't much care about 1/4 mile time, what I'd like is to have some serious torque, and the ability to have the car put me in the seat when I floor it on an onramp. My camaro can pull stumps, so I'd like a really fat torque curve.

I'd like to eventually put in a baby cam (like 218-220 @ .050) and some PRC LS6 ported heads from TSP, maybe an ls6 intake.

For now, however, the first upgrade should be headers, and exhaust.
I'd like to get the pacesetter headers, but I am listening to all of these sounds on ls1sounds.com, and I hate the loud catbacks. I'd like the car to sound nearly as stock as possible. I was thinking I should just put on the pacesetter headers, a catted y, and leave the catback stock. However I think the 2.5" pipe would severely restrict the setup. I was thinking, could I swap out my stock catback for a Ws6 catback? I hear they are 3" and they are part of the reason the WS6 is rated with 30 more HP than the TA.

1) How loud would a WS6 exhaust be with PS headers + a TSP catted Y?
2) How much of an HP loss would there be with having this set up, say vs PS headers, a catted Y, and a GMMG or other high flowing after market exhaust?

3) How much HP will having cats take cost? I hear it is negligible.
4) Will heads and the suggested cam make the car louder?

Last edited by rp0029; 08-28-2007 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rp0029
My 99 T/A a4 vert is bone stock. I love the way it is reliable, the way it is QUIET, and the fact that it gets excellent gas mileage (unlike my carbed 383 68 camaro). I would like to retain the characteristics of a stock vehicle mentioned above, but I want the car to be faster. Frankly I would like to see more seat of the pants accelleration. This is a car I want to drive to work, and it needs to be reliable, and I'd like it to last. It has 64,000 miles.
I don't much care about 1/4 mile time, what I'd like is to have some serious torque, and the ability to have the car put me in the seat when I floor it on an onramp. My camaro can pull stumps, so I'd like a really fat torque curve.

I'd like to eventually put in a baby cam (like 218-220 @ .050) and some PRC LS6 ported heads from TSP, maybe an ls6 intake.

For now, however, the first upgrade should be headers, and exhaust.
I'd like to get the pacesetter headers, but I am listening to all of these sounds on ls1sounds.com, and I hate the loud catbacks. I'd like the car to sound nearly as stock as possible. I was thinking I should just put on the pacesetter headers, a catted y, and leave the catback stock. However I think the 2.5" pipe would severely restrict the setup. I was thinking, could I swap out my stock catback for a Ws6 catback? I hear they are 3" and they are part of the reason the WS6 is rated with 30 more HP than the TA.

1) How loud would a WS6 exhaust be with PS headers + a TSP catted Y?
2) How much of an HP loss would there be with having this set up, say vs PS headers, a catted Y, and a GMMG or other high flowing after market exhaust?

3) How much HP will having cats take cost? I hear it is negligible.
4) Will heads and the suggested cam make the car louder?
Well first off, I would say you are heading in the right direction. LT's is a good start. Believe it or not, by puting on a lid, full exhaust, you will gain some MPG's. Since you DD this car I understand that you dont want a headache when you get to work. So go buy an SLP lid or any lid cause they are all the same, as for the LT's I would consider staying away from pacesetters, they are a good header and good buy for the price, but spend a little more and get the American Racing or QTP's, these two companies have great headers. Get a High Flow Cats Y pipe from QTP also, that is going to open up your performance and give you a nice gain in the TQ. As for the WS6 exhaust, I guess you could put one in, it definately wont be the loudest exhaust out there but you would see better gains from maybe even doing True Duals since you are doing LT's. You could get two nice bullits along with a catted X or H pipe depending what you want to do. Going True duals with catted pipes and mufflers or bullits wont be horribaly loud and you will gain the most HP and TQ numbers going this way.

So
1. WS6 exhaust w/ PS headers and TSP Y would be a little bit more groan than stock sound. It wouldnt be obnoxious at all.
2. I would say that by adding a Catback or True dual set up you would be losing out on maybe 20hp to the crank and 10-12 to the wheels. this is just an assumption.
3. not sure about your question but ill assume you want to know with out cats. I would say maybe 4-5 hp.
4. Heads and cam will make it louder. Cam is going to throw out a louder loap and the bigger heads deffinately will make it bark louder.

Good luck hope I could help.

Mike
Old 08-28-2007, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

on exaust i think an x or h pipe would be to much, i got a freind who likes his car to have the sleeper look and sound, he runs LT's off road y pipe no cats but through the stock cat back. Even though it's got a huge cam its still suprisingly quite, and if you wanted to you could get an electric cut out for some tone, either way without a huge cam it shouldn't be to loud.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

your replacing the exhaust so it is going to be a bit louder esp with long tubes. My corsa was quiet till the LT went in now it sounds like a race car. Also btw the WS6 exhaust may have flowed better but there is no way in hell it is 3" that rating was just a bump to the true rating of the LS1 power regular TA is = to WS6 in power dept. I cut mine off and I'd say my corsa that is 3" was much larger. You will gain some ponies with the headers but if you keep the y and catback your going to still choke the hell out of the car. I say buy a hooker catback or similar and if you want super quiet then put in a resonator like a spiral flow to tone it down even more. Even with the spiral and the hooker muffler your not going to be as choked as a stock catback. Buy a y pipe with cats to keep your sound down and thats how I would do it. You should be pretty happy with just lid and full exhaust it really wakes the car up. Cam will make your car louder even more so, I would put the cam off till you see what volume your ready to tolerate. Really it seems like you want all the power and none of the noise but that isn't 100% possible you want power your going to have to deal with the noise, no way around that. Now I will say my car is FREAKING loud at WOT but at cruising speed it doesn't sound too much different from stock almost a sleeper.
Old 08-28-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SEXICAN
on exaust i think an x or h pipe would be to much, i got a freind who likes his car to have the sleeper look and sound, he runs LT's off road y pipe no cats but through the stock cat back. Even though it's got a huge cam its still suprisingly quite, and if you wanted to you could get an electric cut out for some tone, either way without a huge cam it shouldn't be to loud.
How fast is his car? What year?
Old 08-29-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Resident

Some good advice for him hear, but all lt's dyno within the same range, what's the point of forking over +2x the cash for a something that accomplishes the same thing. Magnaflow's got a beautiful smooth sound for partial throttle driving, and screams with at wot.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

RP - I have my original "SS" exhaust in my garage if you need one. Probably has a couple hundred on it, I can post a pic if you want to see it. PM me.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

I had pacesetters LT and a hooker catback and it sounded good. With some cats it will quiet it down on the rasp a bit and sound.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

LT's catted Y and SLP D/D is what you want.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

LT headers, catted y-pipe and Hooker catback is calling your name.

Don't switch out your stock exhaust for another f-bodys stock exhaust.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

I felt the biggest gain from the 3600 converter/ with 3.73 gears
still quiet on highway + screws when you hammer it !!!!!!

Quick Reply: WS6 Exhaust