New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A newb question about handling...

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 02:13 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A newb question about handling...

I think this is the right forum. If not, my sincere apoligies. Please let me know.

Alright, so this spring I'm going to upgrade from my 1983 Cadillac DeVille to either a T/A, a Skyline or an Audi S4. There's about a 80% chance I'll get the T/A since it's been my dream car for about 4 years now, and the WS6 looks like it's going to eat all traffic that gets in it's way (like the commercial).

So, what I need to know, is, how good can an F body handle? I've read alot of the threads here, and all I find is, basically, it handles "pretty well". How good is that? I'm not one for much street racing or even drag racing. Since the time my dad taught me how to carve canyons in a Saturn SL1, I've been hooked on that feeling of being pressed against the door through a turn. Is the balance good? Feedback through the steering wheel? If I do get a T/A, I'll be upgrading the suspension and brakes before the engine.

I guess, to sum it up, would my money be better spent on something that already handles well from factory, or do I just get a slightly larger loan to accomadate, say, $5,000 for suspension and brakes and such and stick with the T/A?

Oh, I guess I should add that I'm not new to driving, or driving hard. Although I've never streetraced.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you can get an f-body to handle well enough to win national championships....just ask Sam Strano (a sponsor on this site), he's done it multiple times

and with $5000 for mods, you'd have yourself a formidable machine.

put about $2k - $2.5k into the suspension & tires, and the rest into go-fast parts.

but beware the weak 10-bolt rear axle on these cars....usually, it's not a matter of "if" they break, it's a matter of "when". plan to spend between $2k - $3k on a stronger rear end (12-bolt or ford 9"), depending on the type of rear and the options you want on it.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:50 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the handing on our cars is not as bad as some people think! when upgraded u can get it to handle realy good, it may have a solid rear but that doesent mean its bad in handing! dont compare handing with import cars, handing also has alot to do with power ur pushing
Old 12-02-2007, 04:14 AM
On The Tree

well the WS6 does not handle near as poorly as many in the import world like to think, however they don't handle great in stock form. with good tires they'll corner well but they can scare the hell out of you while doing it. especially if there are bumps in the road. you probably already understand this but a WS6 is not a saturn and you can't treat it like one, there's a lot more power. it looks like you working with a pretty decent budget to be considering a skyline and a S4. so i imagine you can afford upgrades for the TA. it all depends on what you want. i'm sure you could find a test drive on a S4 and a WS6, i would drive both and decide.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ads_99ta
well the WS6 does not handle near as poorly as many in the import world like to think, however they don't handle great in stock form. with good tires they'll corner well but they can scare the hell out of you while doing it. especially if there are bumps in the road. you probably already understand this but a WS6 is not a saturn and you can't treat it like one, there's a lot more power. it looks like you working with a pretty decent budget to be considering a skyline and a S4. so i imagine you can afford upgrades for the TA. it all depends on what you want. i'm sure you could find a test drive on a S4 and a WS6, i would drive both and decide.
With good shocks you don't have to worry about the bumps through a corner... Also MUCH easier to drive hard, and wont scare you while going through a corner (car is very very neutral with Konis).
Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DancesWithSelf
I think this is the right forum. If not, my sincere apoligies. Please let me know.

Alright, so this spring I'm going to upgrade from my 1983 Cadillac DeVille to either a T/A, a Skyline or an Audi S4. There's about a 80% chance I'll get the T/A since it's been my dream car for about 4 years now, and the WS6 looks like it's going to eat all traffic that gets in it's way (like the commercial).

So, what I need to know, is, how good can an F body handle? I've read alot of the threads here, and all I find is, basically, it handles "pretty well". How good is that? I'm not one for much street racing or even drag racing. Since the time my dad taught me how to carve canyons in a Saturn SL1, I've been hooked on that feeling of being pressed against the door through a turn. Is the balance good? Feedback through the steering wheel? If I do get a T/A, I'll be upgrading the suspension and brakes before the engine.

I guess, to sum it up, would my money be better spent on something that already handles well from factory, or do I just get a slightly larger loan to accomadate, say, $5,000 for suspension and brakes and such and stick with the T/A?

Oh, I guess I should add that I'm not new to driving, or driving hard. Although I've never streetraced.
How are you going to get your hands on a Skyline?
If its in your price range you should also consider a C5 Z51, or Z06.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
How are you going to get your hands on a Skyline?
If its in your price range you should also consider a C5 Z51, or Z06.
There are quite a few 1980 to 1990 Skylines on ebay motors for $10,000 to $20,000 fairly often. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-...QQcmdZViewItem)

And, there are a few used S4's in my area.

So, basically, I could get me a WS6, and, from what I've read, replace the panhard rods, springs, shocks, better tires, upgrade the swaybars, and use the rest on engine mods? I know there is more to it, probably subframe connectors, etc. but, basically I'll have a kickass looking (and sounding) car that'll seriously live up to it's looks? There are alot of cool roads around where I live, and I want to get to carving them up this summer. I mean, I like the Skylines, but they don't have that euphoric sound that a LS powered car has. And I'm definantly not interested in any Mustang since 1990.

Another queston, I've read that with a calm foot (Like I have. Well, when it's needed), you can get upwards of 30 MPG on the highway. True?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Resident

^ yes with a six speed.

and hell yeah f bodies can handle, just got to put money into it.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DancesWithSelf
There are quite a few 1980 to 1990 Skylines on ebay motors for $10,000 to $20,000 fairly often. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-...QQcmdZViewItem)
Ah, ok. I didnt know if you knew someone who could import them or something. I personally wouldnt buy a car off Ebay, but thats just me...
So, basically, I could get me a WS6, and, from what I've read, replace the panhard rods,
*Panhard bar
springs, shocks, better tires, upgrade the swaybars, and use the rest on engine mods? I know there is more to it, probably subframe connectors, etc.
Subframe connectors are not needed. They are very over hyped, the 4th gen chassis is not as weak as the 3rd gens. While they will stiffen the chassis, things like shocks and springs are WAY more important.
but, basically I'll have a kickass looking (and sounding) car that'll seriously live up to it's looks? There are alot of cool roads around where I live, and I want to get to carving them up this summer. I mean, I like the Skylines, but they don't have that euphoric sound that a LS powered car has. And I'm definantly not interested in any Mustang since 1990.
Yes, it will definitely drive as good as it looks with those parts. Also I would consider how much something like a Skyline would cost you in aftermarket and OEM replacement parts in comparison. I wouldnt doubt the S4 would be more expensive to run as well.

Another queston, I've read that with a calm foot (Like I have. Well, when it's needed), you can get upwards of 30 MPG on the highway. True?
I dont know about 30mpg with an F-body, but a vette will do that. Id expect more like 27-28mpg(with a 6 speed ofcourse).
Old 12-02-2007, 11:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Ah, ok. I didnt know if you knew someone who could import them or something. I personally wouldnt buy a car off Ebay, but thats just me...
I bet someone around here could. I still kinda want a Silvia as a long distance driver/daily driver. Although, if I decide on the Trans Am(and I think that decision is basically made) I'd probably drive it more than anything.

*Panhard bar
Ah. I knew that didn't sound right. lol. Sorry.

Subframe connectors are not needed. They are very over hyped, the 4th gen chassis is not as weak as the 3rd gens. While they will stiffen the chassis, things like shocks and springs are WAY more important.
Ok. So that's more of a thing to get if you have extra cash lying around?

Yes, it will definitely drive as good as it looks with those parts. Also I would consider how much something like a Skyline would cost you in aftermarket and OEM replacement parts in comparison. I wouldnt doubt the S4 would be more expensive to run as well.
Good point. I didn't consider that.

I dont know about 30mpg with an F-body, but a vette will do that. Id expect more like 27-28mpg(with a 6 speed ofcourse).
Well, that's good enough for me. And a 6 speed is crucial. I prefer a stick to an automatic. But, according to my brother in law, I'm wasting my time. It's better to just "push the pedal and go." and "You'll wear out your knees driving a stick all day."
Old 12-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Teching In

Yea i get 27 mpg with my 01 with the manual and that is getting on it a bit. But it does like its fuel when you get on it pretty hard. O and if you drive in alot of stop and go traffic yea a manual can suck and your left leg gets a work out but it is not like the clutch is hard to press like the semis that i drive on our farm. i dont drive mine everyday and it is put away for winter but i prefer to choose what gear i drive in not the transmision.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just got one myself, a '00 Formula, with an auto. I get about 22-23mpg, driving conservatively. You'll definitely get better mpg with the stick. And quite frankly, after 4 months of owning the car, I have to say the auto is boring. I don't regret getting the car, and am not at all thinking of getting rid of it, but these cars are definitely more fun with the manual, and I think the LS1 is better suited to one, as well.

They handle pretty well for the size, they'll outhandle any Mustang, the F-Bodies always have. They DO feel big and heavy, actually a bit cumbersome at times. You can't throw it around like a little Saturn, but on longer sweeping curves, like on/offramps, they stick like glue.

Your best be is to just get out and drive one. One thing about owning an F-Body, you really have to love it. It's definitely an emotional purchase.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
Teching In

I've basically decided on a T/A (Or Formula. I'm not THAT picky). I think once I'm ready, I'll go to the dealership that's about 40 miles away from me. They always have at least two F bodies. But they're kinda high. I know it won't handle like that saturn, which was slow, but you could take a corner at quite high speeds. I don't know if anyone here knows the road from Ridgeway, co to Norwood, co, but it's a two lane twisty with a speed limit of 45 MPH to 55 MPH. I could average 70 in the first half, and 80 in the second. I am just wanting something that handles better than my Cadillac. I love the big red bastard, but it just isn't intense enough for me. You can't even feel the road through the wheel. Everything is kinda detached.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:02 AM
TECH Resident

The mileage will depend on your tranny and gears.

I've seen a built M6 Camaro that would get over 30 hwy. My car responded well (mostly stock) to 3.73 rear gears and raised the hwy mileage from ~28 to ~32. Went back down to ~30 when I switched to 3.90 gears.

I haven't owned an A4, but I don't think they do nearly as well.

As far as handling, it sounds to me like a C5 would be a much better choice for you (esp. a Z06 or Z51). They're lighter, faster, and better handling straight from the factory.

I'm not saying that F-bodies won't handle, but a C5 would be a much better starting point for a great handling car. Or you could always do an LSx swap on a S2000... lol. There was a guy on here tha did that one not too long ago.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2007, 03:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't lowering the car supposed to be a BIG change in handeling around corners?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by slowjoe99
Isn't lowering the car supposed to be a BIG change in handeling around corners?
"lowering" really isnt the big change, its more the spring rates. The biggest change is getting a good set of shocks though, take it from me. Im lowered with springs made specifically for auto-x, and the shocks make all the difference in the world.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:19 AM
Teching In

I considered a Corvette for a while, but I'd like to have 4 seats. I'll probably drive this more than the Cadillac. I might try for a Z06 later down the road.