Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shifting into 4th at 90mph?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting into 4th at 90mph?

This is probably a stupid question, but what mph do you guys shift into 4th? when racing I usually shift at 5500rpm and shift into 4th at 90mph. I'm just trying to figure out how this compares to other people. What rpm do you shift at and what is the mph?
Thanks
Old 12-19-2007, 01:13 AM
12 Second Club

I shift at 6400 RPM when racing..... Rev that pig....
Old 12-19-2007, 01:50 AM
Staging Lane

Your tach should show you a redline......

5500 is way low......
Old 12-19-2007, 02:08 AM
Teching In

Alright, so shift right before it hits the rev limiter? It's a nice car, but it's my first and I'm trying to play it cautious and not take it too fast, just get a hang of it first. Anyways, another newb question. It's a manual and I'm wondering how much gas should I give it when I shift? Would you floor the pedal once your tires grab and continue to do so with each shift or sort of gradually push on it?
Old 12-19-2007, 03:31 AM
Staging Lane

My car won't shift above 5500 so that is where I shift. I also haven't done the "drill mod" (you'll have to look it up) wich gives better flow of the clutch fluid.

For me, I shift so fast my foot is only off the accelerator for a split second. But, i am an autocrosser and not a drag racer. I've only ever taken my camaro to the strip once. Others will power shift where you never lift off the accelerator and just use the clutch.
There are alot of different theories out there.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:49 AM
TECH Resident

you don't want it to bounce of the rev limiter if you have stock pushrods...one to many bounces and you will have broken and bent push rods...if you are going to be racing and shifting high, you should invest into some good chromoly pushrods
Old 12-19-2007, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I shift into fourth at 95, and I have gears.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know how fast i'm going when I shift into fourth... when I race i shift at around 6400-6500, I don't pay attention to the speedometer.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't shift into 4th any high than 6000k, there is not really any point or any benefit if you spin the motor any higher than that on a stock cam. I shift into 4th at around 100. However, i shift into 2nd around 5500 to reduce spinning and because the stock tachs are a little slow. Also, i hit 3rd around 5800-5900.

By the way, don't listen to the guys that have cams, there powerband goes a lot higher.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just get a shift light, set it, and be done with it. you dont need ot be staring down at the tach or speedo when you race, you need to be watching the road. whenever the car feels like its revving up still but the rate of acceleration has decreased, shift....you can fill it if youre a good driver. get use to that certain point, and then go by pitch of the motor to know when to shift.

also, the rev limiter is there for a reason so dont freak out if you hit it, its ok.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

rev limiter = poor mans shift light
Old 12-19-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by apayner1
Alright, so shift right before it hits the rev limiter? It's a nice car, but it's my first and I'm trying to play it cautious and not take it too fast, just get a hang of it first. Anyways, another newb question. It's a manual and I'm wondering how much gas should I give it when I shift? Would you floor the pedal once your tires grab and continue to do so with each shift or sort of gradually push on it?
All this was previously stated, but I thought I'd backup. Shift just before the limiter. Shifting at 5500 is definitely leaving a lot on the table. Keep in mind that the stock tach can be VERY slow, especially in first and second from a dig, so find out about how slow it reads by testing once or twice and then try your best not to hit that limiter on stock internals. Better to run a little slower and drive home than start to run a little faster and then call the tow truck, not to mention buy a new engine.

When you shift, since you're still getting used to the car, release the accelerator as you're pushing in the clutch pedal, make the shift, and then quickly, but smoothly, push it back to wide open throttle as you release the clutch. By the time the clutch is fully engaged, you should be at WOT. As you get quicker and more comfortable, you'll be able to test the limits of your traction a bit, but shifting quickly and smoothly with a mostly stock car should give you any kinds of traction issues in normal conditions.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

don't power shift.. its just bad plain and simple and it doesn't help out that much either except putting stress on well..everything. Shift at 6000 the red line is there for a reason you wont hurt the car if you shift before the rev limiter and theres a limiter on it for a reason just bring the car to the red line when your wanting to have some fun don't be shifting so early haha
Old 12-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by hndakilr
rev limiter = poor mans shift light

thats classic
Old 12-19-2007, 03:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bryan04h
you don't want it to bounce of the rev limiter if you have stock pushrods...one to many bounces and you will have broken and bent push rods...if you are going to be racing and shifting high, you should invest into some good chromoly pushrods
I would much rather bend or break a pushrod that something more exspensive, I would leave them stock...
Old 12-19-2007, 05:51 PM
Staging Lane

Just get a shift light, set it at 5800-6000 depending on how fast you shift, and forget about that whole issue.

You can speed shift and not have to power shift. I have a lil trouble outta the hole some times but i can make up for it with my shifting. You can do a VERY rapid gear change if you are used to it.

Simple to do: When the light comes on, as you go to press in the clutch, let off the gas, then depress clutch, slam gear, and reight before you let go of the clutch floor it. (Keep in mind this should all happen in less than a second. So feels like you are doing it all at the same time when you are learning how to do it.
If the tail gets a lil loose, ride that **** out!! It'll pull straight, they always do. If it gets bigtime loose, then get out of it and get some better tires.

That is all.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Adriana Lover
If the tail gets a lil loose, ride that **** out!! It'll pull straight, they always do. If it gets bigtime loose, then get out of it and get some better tires.

That is all.
haha i love that
Old 12-19-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I started a roll race the otehr day at 80 in 3rd. Don't remeber what mph I shift at, but it's right after redline.

At 80 in third, my stock-like car jumps like butt-stuck pig.

Not that I go in for sticking pigs in the butt. That's gross. I stick with sheep.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

HAHA i never told anyone this but i put lil tape markers on my speedo, so that i know what each gear goes up to for roll racing. (I take a look to see aht gear is optimal for whatever speed i end up starting at) Matter of fact they are still on there. HAHAHA

It actually helps for learning how to heel-toe, rev match, etc.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You want to shift from max HP to max torque.

Best thing to do is get your car on a dyno where you can get an RPM readout. Look at the data. It should display how much HP your motor is producing at every RPM by 100. As soon as the motor starts dropping in HP, thats when you want to shift which should ideally put you at the point where the motor is developing max torque.

I need to dig up the data on my car, but I believe the motor actually starts dropping off at either 4900 or 5200 RPMs, so whenever I run it I always shift after that point.