Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ready for some longtubes

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ready for some longtubes

I finnaly decided that my next mod is going to be some longtube headers but after searching online all i end up with is a headache. There are so many choices im not sure what to get, im currently looking at a set of slp headers, i just wanted an opinion from you guys to see what has worked for you guys, and what has not. Like what brand to get how much to spend or maybe where i can get some good deals. also what other parts im gonna need:
o2 sensor extensions, and what bolts are recommended.

last time i took my car to the track it ran a best of 13.16 at 108 with bad tires, it has a catback underdrive pullies, lid other than that its stock its also an automatic. i do have a 100 shot of nitrous but bottle was empty that day. if i put these headers i hope to dip into the high 12s. do you think its possible to do that with the addition of some headers. MY car is a light weight camaro with no electric components out of the factory it only has a/c

Last edited by 187fl; 01-18-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:13 AM
Launching!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Paces...spagenameZWDVW

This is what I got and ive heard nothing but good things about them. just my .02
Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Depends on your budget, really. From what I hear, the Kooks stepped headers are fantastic, and fit well, but are expensive. QTP and ARH are the same story. Pacesetters are a good bang for the buck, and slip right in, but they're not stainless steel, so they're susceptible to rust. SLP's have horrible ground clearance, and some fitment issues (most don't just slide in, but it's doable with minor changes), but they aren't a bad choice. Haven't heard much bad or good about Jet Hots, I think they're stainless, but I'm not sure. The Ebay headers (I don't remember if I can say their name yet..) seem to be the best bang for your buck. They're stainless steel and slide in easy.

Fitment issues change from car to car though. You could have a hard time getting PS's in, or no trouble at all getting SLP's in.

If you have the money, go stainless steel, but if not, I have Pacesetters ($389+shipping, ceramic coated), and love them. They slid in perfect, no modifying necessary, and I live in Central Texas, so rust from salt on the roads is not an issue. And they sound fantastic IMO.

I reused the stock gaskets and stock bolts. If you can though, get a new oem gasket. I don't know what good aftermarket bolts are out there. I didn't feel the need to look for any. You'll need 02 extensions (got mine from ws6store), or you can get the stock corvette 02 sensors (Bosch 13111). They have a long enough extension already attached. You'll need to get your rear 02s tuned out, though, unless you don't mind the SES light, or you were planning on getting 02 sims.

You should hit 12's, given you got new tires by then. You will for sure with the juice. You should look into getting a stall soon, though..
Old 01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

defiantely go stainless, its usually a little more, but its worth it because they will last longer than your car. there is a company called LPP thats a sponsor here that makes some great headers. If you wanted to step up alittle to a header with an HVMC, then i reccomend QTP. both are stainless, so they come with a good looking finish and will never rust
Old 01-18-2008, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

thanx guys ill take all this in consideration.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just rember your going to have to get some kind of Y pipe if your looking at QTP its like 800 for the headers and like 300 for the Y somthing like that thats just parts , the you have to decide if you want a tune 3 to 500 gaskets if needed, not trying to scare you but just gives you an idea of how it can get expensive realy quick.
but you can do it cheep some pacesetters and have a shop make you a y.....
Old 01-18-2008, 01:01 PM
TECH Regular

Pacesetter is by far the best bang for the buck headers. Go Kooks if you've got the money and want to spend it, but for great parts at a great price, go Pacesetter LT's, Pacesetter off-road Y, and any catback exhaust. But if you go pacesetter, get the ceramic coated headers and avoid the black painted ones.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a long tube for ya. 6 1/2 inches of pure, skinny pain.
Old 01-18-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sharpe
I have a long tube for ya. 6 1/2 inches of pure, skinny pain.
hey your not supposed to include the tante into your mesurements!
Old 01-18-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Next you're going to tell me I'm not supposed to count the 2" of foreskin.