New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch pedal free play problem!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question clutch pedal free play problem!!!

every once in awhile when my car is cold usually i have excessive free play in my clutch pedal but when i play with it it tends to go away... not sure what it is, does it just need to be bled? also i think i found a recal on my clutch master cylinder so idk it it might have something to do with that, if so would my local GM replace if free of cost sence it is a recal?
Old 02-20-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine does the exact same. I'm gonna go get my slave replaced. Do you know how old your slave is?
Old 02-20-2008, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

It may seem like a lot of money, but just replace your master and slave and fix the problem. Your car will instantly be more enjoyable to drive (due to pedal feel that will amaze someone who is used to worn out stuff). The drill mod or a flush/bleed may prolong the life of your hydraulics, but ultimately you most likely just need a new master and slave. I think I got the best deal by buying the master online and the slave at a local parts store like Car Quest. Also, while you are at it, wrap the hydraulic line with some heat wrap if you have headers that may be boiling the fluid.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:08 PM
Banned

Anyone know the clutch pedal free play spec measurement??

Mines got some excess free play as well I think.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Once I replaced my 9 year old hydraulics it would disengage right at the top of the pedal travel in the exact same spot every time. The old hydraulics would disengage the clutch more towards the middle of the travel and then right off the floor right before they went bad.
Old 02-21-2008, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bleed your clutch properly (bench bleed the master if you can), and then see how it feels.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 AM
On The Tree

where do you get the master and the slave cylinder at?
Old 02-24-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

I would go ahead and replace the slave and master cylinders. I had a 98 M6 and every once in awhile when driving her cold the pedal would go almost to the floor. I would have to pull it back up and pump it a few times and it would be fine after that. It got worse over 6-8 months and I ended up having to replace those and the clutch. Not trying to scare you guys, just don't let a problem go.

Quick Reply: clutch pedal free play problem!!!