Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

two bottles vs. nano....

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default two bottles vs. nano....

which would be better? i already have 2 bottles so i would only need to buy the lines to y it off. car has a 200 shot if that makes an diff. may go to a 250 but no higher.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:33 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Two bottles are nice, with that amount of volume the pressure drop is really not as significant. I would give that a shot first since you already have two bottles. Obviously a Y fitting and some new lines won;t be a big investment. See how that performs and then maybe spring for the nano. It will definitly benefit you though.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

Does Y'ing two bottles help get more usage out of each bottle or even one of them? Idk if you get what im trying to ask or not.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls2 bait
which would be better? i already have 2 bottles so i would only need to buy the lines to y it off. car has a 200 shot if that makes an diff. may go to a 250 but no higher.

What are you looking for? If you're trying to prevent pressure drop during a run then yes two bottles will help, but a larger bottle is even better.
Consider a fat 20 lb bottle with a fairly low mounting angle.

The more surface area of liquid nitrous that is exposed in the bottle the better.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

nano is best. I have it, and there is no pressure drop inbetween runs. You won't get that, regardless of how many bottles.

Now, nano costs $$$. But you didn't ask which was most cost effective. You asked which was best. That would be the nano. Call nitrous Dave, they will hook you up!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
Does Y'ing two bottles help get more usage out of each bottle or even one of them? Idk if you get what im trying to ask or not.
No, I wouldn't think that it would yield any more usage as they will still get to a low pressure point and won't be as effective. That is another great feature to the NANO system is that it will allow you to use all of the contents of your bottle.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been running the dual bottle, 15lb'ers for many years as a poor mans push system (NANO was not on the market). Volume was/is a way to overcome pressure drop, though not the complete answer. With the the big hits over 200 I would only see about a 50psi drop per run at the worst. Then I had removed my transducers so I could manually control the pressure and get it exactly where I wanted it. This could easily be done on the return road and I would be back to optimum pressure for back to back racing.

It worked great for what it was. However, the hassles of dual heaters was a pain. Not being able to use 100% of the N2O was a pain. Dropping pressure was still a pain, though not as bad. Dropping performance on the top end was still happening.

Now introduce NANO. Much better. So many positives. The biggest is twice as many runs with the same 30lbs of spray. No more heaters and wiring crap. Absolutely consistent a/f ratio start to finish. 100% of the off the line power when crossing the finish line. No more worrying or thinking about pressure and is the heater on/off and all that. I truly believe that NANO will become a must have product for any serious nitrous freak, just as heaters are now. Revolutionary technology at it's best.

Yes, just use a "Y" fitting at the bottles and run a single line forward. I have used 4an and it has supported 300rwhp shots just fine. A 4an line can support up to 400hp if it's an absolute straight shot. Keep 90° fittings and the similar out of the path and you could be fine with a 4an line. It's the accumulative resistance of to many 90's and "t"s and filters and 45's that will impede the flow. Now if you happen to have a 6an line laying around then use it. I plan on upping my 4an to 6an with my new triple stage for when stepping to the 350 mark as we have quite a few junctions (fittings in-line).

Here is a pic of the "Y" at the bottle, then my new system with the NANO bottles installed right onto the existing N2O bottle brackets.

Robert
Old 01-01-2009, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by white2001s10
What are you looking for? If you're trying to prevent pressure drop during a run then yes two bottles will help, but a larger bottle is even better.
Consider a fat 20 lb bottle with a fairly low mounting angle.

The more surface area of liquid nitrous that is exposed in the bottle the better.
u have a pic? and will a 20 fit in th tire com partment
Old 01-01-2009, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by shaolink9
u have a pic? and will a 20 fit in th tire com partment
I've used two different 20 lb bottles ( the fat ones ) and they both fit in the rear well with no problem and one of them would fit in the spare tire well, but barely - that one wasn't mounted down, just wrapped with towels.

My procedure is to put the big bottle in the bathtub to soak in hot water for 30 - 45 minutes until all the liquid nitrous is warm, then wrap the bottle in towels to insulate. It normally stays warm for about 5 hours. It would only drop about 50 psi during a run ( 150 or 200 shot ) and recover very quickly without a heater.

I'm not a fan of running the larger lines by the way. I think the smaller diameter N2O lines perform better. If there is a need to get more flow then I just increase the pressure - but that is another argument all to itself.

Here's some information about pressure from a test I did 3 years ago. You might find it helpful.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...t-results.html
Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

Can you leave the nano bottle on all the time? Im thinking about a remote opener but there is no sense if you have to turn on the nano every time to.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:09 AM
9 Second Club

more or less im looking at only getting a few runs 2 with the 200 shot on a single 10 lb bottle. plus of course the pressure drop and waiting for te bottle to heat up enough where its even in the range to spray it.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:32 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2x 15 lbs bottles hooked together with a Y fitting = Old School Nano. An N20 using buddy and I were discussing this on Saturday going from CT to PA to pick up a Pewter Formula Hatch!
Old 01-06-2009, 07:53 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
2x 15 lbs bottles hooked together with a Y fitting = Old School Nano. An N20 using buddy and I were discussing this on Saturday going from CT to PA to pick up a Pewter Formula Hatch!
ya i think nano is going to be the way to go. just a lot of coin. its like buying a whole nother n2o kit.
Old 01-06-2009, 07:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jditlfm
Can you leave the nano bottle on all the time? Im thinking about a remote opener but there is no sense if you have to turn on the nano every time to.
I can't think of anything it would hurt. the n2o needs to be purged off the noids, just for wear and tear factor. So if the nitrous bottle is closed and then residual pressure bled off we should be good to go.
Robert
Old 01-06-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

ya i think nano is going to be the way to go. just a lot of coin. its like buying a whole nother n2o kit.
It beats the hell out of spending my money on hookers and crack.
Robert
Old 01-06-2009, 08:08 AM
Internet Mechanic

Agreed, Nano for a consistant pressure is the way to go, most car though who run alot of juice or higher comp tend to eat parts in the last 400ish so feet so having that drop off can be a good thing, putting it in neutral so it wont compression brake the motor is help.

As for not having all the $$$ in the world, I want to be able to run a motor and keep it alive for the next day!
Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Banned

putting it in neutral so it wont compression brake the motor is help.
Putting your car in neutral after crossing the line at 120+ mph is the worst possible thing for a transmission.

Last edited by MuscleLs1Power; 01-06-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Agreed, Nano for a consistant pressure is the way to go, most car though who run alot of juice or higher comp tend to eat parts in the last 400ish so feet so having that drop off can be a good thing, putting it in neutral so it wont compression brake the motor is help.

As for not having all the $$$ in the world, I want to be able to run a motor and keep it alive for the next day!
I think your statement has more to do with inconsistant a/f ratio than anything else. When running a hard core race set-up we usually run on the ragged edge and if you have ever logged the a/f ratio and/or bottle pressure per run it will be all over the board. So I contend that the ragged edged tunes will be a thing of the past. Now we can have exactly the same a/f ratio the enitre run and logging has proven this out already. Some of the biggest names in the nitrous world are at this very time beta testing NANO technology and so far only good reports. A win/win for all of us.
Robert
Old 01-06-2009, 08:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by MuscleLs1Power
Putting your car in neutral after crossing the line at 120+ mph is the worst possible thing for a transmission.
Good for you.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:59 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Robert56
I think your statement has more to do with inconsistant a/f ratio than anything else. When running a hard core race set-up we usually run on the ragged edge and if you have ever logged the a/f ratio and/or bottle pressure per run it will be all over the board. So I contend that the ragged edged tunes will be a thing of the past. Now we can have exactly the same a/f ratio the enitre run and logging has proven this out already. Some of the biggest names in the nitrous world are at this very time beta testing NANO technology and so far only good reports. A win/win for all of us.
Robert
With technology, alot of advancements have been made, sticking a BS3 in there has solved ALOT of issues. I love that per cyl tuneability.

Edit: And to further comment, if I had the $$ and it was a purpous built car BS3 would def be on there and a nano kit. I have been very impressed with the results so far from what I read on the GMHTP artical.

Last edited by BlackScreaminMachine; 01-06-2009 at 09:16 AM.

Quick Reply: two bottles vs. nano....