Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plate System vs Nozzle System

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Plate System vs Nozzle System

Long story short I'm going to try and run a 7.00 Index class some this year because I want to get into heads up racing. Putting an auto in and the car should run 7.60's or so on motor. I figure with a 100shot I should be able to pick up the 6 tenths I need to go 7.00.

Now my question. What is the advantage of a plate system over a nozzle system? I know the distribution will probably be better but do I need to worry about that on a 100shot? Looking at the nitrous outlet kits there is a $200 difference between a nozzle and plate kit, is it really worth that much more?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I guy that I know has a plate on his car. Thing hits hard as hell.

Hits a lot harder than my single nozzle did.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:40 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a 100 hp level the plate vs the nozzle located in the correct spot you will not see a difference. Technically the plate has a better delivery by breaking up the discharge but that really starts to shine on the larger HP levels. This is why you see people using our plates with 250 and 300 hp shots and getting away with it.

So in a round about way at a 100 hp the plate is just going to look better install wise and break up the mixture a bit more.

Either will work. Our nozzle and plate design are top notch.

Dave
Old 01-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Launching!

don't let the this ugly setup fool you...
the nozzle sits about 7 inches from dead center of throttle blade...
the n2o and fuel plume forming is bound to be good,firing straight down the gullet...

having a plate firing down or perimeter,then having to bend
or turn back from the pull from the cylinders as opposed to this nozzle firing from a distance
straight down the middle with the airflow,i'll take the nozzle...

averaging 6.9x's so far in a 3800lb cam,stalled,ls1 gto and a 100 shot...
a couple of low 6.8x's with a 150 shot if the 60ft will bite...

Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Resident

I rode in cars that have nozzle kits and my own car has a Nitro Dave's 78mm plate. I feel like my plate hits that little bit harder initially.

Just my 2 cents, you will get a better distribution of fuel and nitrous with the plate due to the design. That is my understanding. I think Nitro Dave's post says it all. Period.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When taking into consideration the weakness of #7 and sometimes #5 cyl, I will take a kit that distrbutes better any day of the week, the best would be a direct port but in the scope of the question, I'd take a plate kit.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

there is nothing "weak" about cylinder # 5 or 7. its improper fuel distribution that causes lean conditions.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
On a 100 hp level the plate vs the nozzle located in the correct spot you will not see a difference. Technically the plate has a better delivery by breaking up the discharge but that really starts to shine on the larger HP levels. This is why you see people using our plates with 250 and 300 hp shots and getting away with it.

So in a round about way at a 100 hp the plate is just going to look better install wise and break up the mixture a bit more.

Either will work. Our nozzle and plate design are top notch.

Dave

So what you are saying is stop being a baby and save up another $200? lol.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:43 AM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by gator's 99TA
there is nothing "weak" about cylinder # 5 or 7. its improper fuel distribution that causes lean conditions.
Don't get me wrong I do agree with that, the piston isnt weak, but the distribution is less then optimal on LS style intakes and even though I had not mention that.

I had written a LONG response to this but to shorten it, Nitrous and Fuel is a mixture and like you said you dont want it running lean, having the best system for delivery is definitly a benefit. Thats is my stance given the hundreds of burnt pistons ive seen and collapsed ring lands.
Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by brokenfly
don't let the this ugly setup fool you...
the nozzle sits about 7 inches from dead center of throttle blade...
the n2o and fuel plume forming is bound to be good,firing straight down the gullet...

having a plate firing down or perimeter,then having to bend
or turn back from the pull from the cylinders as opposed to this nozzle firing from a distance
straight down the middle with the airflow,i'll take the nozzle...

averaging 6.9x's so far in a 3800lb cam,stalled,ls1 gto and a 100 shot...
a couple of low 6.8x's with a 150 shot if the 60ft will bite...

given that what you said is even half true, you actually drive around with that half assed setup and think it's better than a nitro daves plate?

looks pretty damn cheap if you ask me.

and where is your purge, your running a wet system, saying how the nozzle distributes the mixture better, but you lack a purge.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldnt a dry kit be the best for distribution since the injectors are like a direct port without the nitrous beind directly injected?
Old 01-08-2009, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pyro719
Wouldnt a dry kit be the best for distribution since the injectors are like a direct port without the nitrous beind directly injected?
the fuel injectors are a direct injection but the back cylinders get more nitrous than teh front cylinders due to the shape of the LSX OEM intakes.
Old 01-08-2009, 01:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SStud
given that what you said is even half true, you actually drive around with that half assed setup and think it's better than a nitro daves plate?

and where is your purge, your running a wet system, saying how the nozzle distributes the mixture better, but you lack a purge.
Shut your whorish mouth, you have no idea what you're talking about
Old 01-08-2009, 03:30 PM
Launching!

same principle as a 2x4 across your soft melon...cheap and effective...but since looks seem to fool you easy you will not mind how you would look after wards...

purge for a measly 100-150 shot???not needed...(well maybe to bleed off overpressure or in your case to have something to look at while you pull your pud)...but back to the story...

yes,a well placed nozzle running below a 200 shot is better than any plate sitting behind a throttle body that sits like the LS style intake does...
Old 01-08-2009, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by brokenfly
same principle as a 2x4 across your soft melon...cheap and effective...but since looks seem to fool you easy you will not mind how you would look after wards...

purge for a measly 100-150 shot???not needed...(well maybe to bleed off overpressure or in your case to have something to look at while you pull your pud)...but back to the story...

yes,a well placed nozzle running below a 200 shot is better than any plate sitting behind a throttle body that sits like the LS style intake does...
lol... i would keep poking fun at you just to hear your witty *** remarks, they are actually pretty amusing.

now back to the topic at hand. im willing to bet a plate would distribute a wet mixture better than your nozzle, even at your "scientifically" measured spot. hell i would call that the go fast spot, or in your case your G spot lol.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:14 PM
12 Second Club

lol... i would keep poking fun at you just to hear your witty *** remarks, they are actually pretty amusing.

now back to the topic at hand. im willing to bet a plate would distribute a wet mixture better than your nozzle, even at your "scientifically" measured spot. hell i would call that the go fast spot, or in your case your G spot lol.
SStud, just because your plate kit hit hard as FUCCCCCCKKK!!!, does not mean that it is better
Old 01-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Launching!

im willing to bet a plate would distribute a wet mixture better than your nozzle, even at your "scientifically" measured spot. hell i would call that the go fast spot, or in your case your G spot lol.

your probably right...but not that far out from the opening of the intake where that nozzle sits...
Old 02-05-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

so what did we decide? plate or nozzle? arguments for the plate - better mixture. arguments for the nozzle - maybe faster delivery? when the nozzle sprays it goes inward into the manifold. when the plate "sprays" it just goes straight down, right? i would think that would be kinda bad. which design has better results? you can't tell me there hasn't been a dyno comparison
Old 02-05-2009, 04:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by KingKiller
so what did we decide? plate or nozzle? arguments for the plate - better mixture. arguments for the nozzle - maybe faster delivery? when the nozzle sprays it goes inward into the manifold. when the plate "sprays" it just goes straight down, right? i would think that would be kinda bad. which design has better results? you can't tell me there hasn't been a dyno comparison
our plate does not point straight down. We designed ours to cause the least amount of turbulance with the incoming air. You can find a video of our spray pattern here
http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/shop...cat=398&page=1

I dont know how you can argue about faster delivery. If you timed them, maybe it would come down to a few thousands of a second difference.
Old 02-05-2009, 04:35 PM
11 Second Club

im kinda doubting the stalled heavy *** gto goin 6.802 on a 100-150 shot....

Quick Reply: Plate System vs Nozzle System