Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with gauges before buying.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with gauges before buying.....

Im a newbie to nitrous and have the kit all installed but was wondering what would be the most beneficial and helpfull gauges to have. I keep seeing wideband and dont really know what that is or if i need it only spraying 75-100 shot. And were are the best and cheapest gauges at. And last thing do they make a pillar for a hardtop or will i have to just rivit one on my stock pillar. Im not a big time racer or track guy just like to make my car fast and look good so really just getting gauges because i like them. thanks for any advice guys.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A wideband gaige is helpful with the right wideband. Other two major options are fuel pressure and nitrous pressure.

If your system was not already installed I would tell you to go with the Trick P and V gauge.
Dave
Old 01-19-2009, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

[QUOTE=Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet;10880292]A wideband gaige is helpful with the right wideband. Other two major options are fuel pressure and nitrous pressure.

what about boost??
Old 01-19-2009, 06:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
A wideband gaige is helpful with the right wideband. Other two major options are fuel pressure and nitrous pressure.

If your system was not already installed I would tell you to go with the Trick P and V gauge.
Dave
what about boost??
Old 01-19-2009, 06:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IndigoSS
Im a newbie to nitrous and have the kit all installed but was wondering what would be the most beneficial and helpfull gauges to have. I keep seeing wideband and dont really know what that is or if i need it only spraying 75-100 shot.
The wideband tells you the Air to Fuel Ratio, which tells you whether the engine is running rich or lean. Very important for tuning. After that, opinions vary. Some like it, some think it is just eye candy. I do agree that fuel pressure and nitrous pressure will be very useful, some say crucial.
And were are the best and cheapest gauges at.
The two are not usually the same. I use Autometer, but there are others out there. Just remember the price of your engine versus the price of the gauges that indicate its health.
And last thing do they make a pillar for a hardtop or will i have to just rivit one on my stock pillar.
I can't help you there. The ones I saw were only for t-tops.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:28 AM
Launching!

Ok thanks i think i will go fuel pressure and nitrous pressure. and now just got to decide on what gauges to use.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

I would go WB AFR (this will help you with tuning) and Nitrous Pressure.

Nitrous pressure is important for getting the correct AFR. Bottle pressure to low, you will be rich, pressure to high likely Lean.

The WB AFR will also show you if your fuel pump is up to speed, if your pump or injectors are lacking, this will be indicated by the WB being lean...
Old 01-20-2009, 09:01 AM
FormerVendor

Ok thanks i think i will go fuel pressure and nitrous pressure. and now just got to decide on what gauges to use.
If you are only running a 75-100 shot i wouldnt worry about getting a wideband. Once you get your A/F dialed in on the dyno it won't vary too much. What will def. help is a controller like our microedge that has lean/rich shutdown switch. Rather then relying on looking at a gauge, the microedge will shut your system down if you go too rich or lean. Personally, i would rather rely on that then peeking my eye over at a gauge.

Any of the autometer gauges will do. I know there are several other gauges out there, but for the most part it seems like any of the quality gauges are all around the same prices. Def. go with the nitrous pressure and fuel pressure gauges.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:51 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Im a newbie to nitrous and have the kit all installed but was wondering what would be the most beneficial and helpfull gauges to have. I keep seeing wideband and dont really know what that is or if i need it only spraying 75-100 shot. And were are the best and cheapest gauges at. And last thing do they make a pillar for a hardtop or will i have to just rivit one on my stock pillar. Im not a big time racer or track guy just like to make my car fast and look good so really just getting gauges because i like them. thanks for any advice guys.
I would go with a wideband and nitrous pressure thats what most of our customers seem to buy running nitrous. Best and cheapest thats a challenge. Our gauges are far superior in quality and accuracy than others at even higher pricing. If you saw an autometer or other gauge next to a dynotune gauge you will be amazed. Ours are billet construction with an extremely accurate sending unit that is manufactured in the US. We tried the overseas units but they did not give us the accuracy, longevity and quality we require.

We sell a a/f shutdown which works extremely well which is nice to have in addition to the gauge but the wideband helps beyond just the nitrous. Many things can go wrong with any setup and a lot of times this will affect the a/f. Does not tell you what is wrong just tells you to start checking.

Dean
Old 01-20-2009, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

I like getting my gauges from Dynotune. The price is decent, and the guys over there are good to deal with. I got my A/F gauge, nitrous pressure, and fuel pressure gauges all from them. Not to mention they have them in blue which matches my interior LEDs.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:56 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by DynotuneN2O
I would go with a wideband and nitrous pressure thats what most of our customers seem to buy running nitrous. Best and cheapest thats a challenge. Our gauges are far superior in quality and accuracy than others at even higher pricing. If you saw an autometer or other gauge next to a dynotune gauge you will be amazed. Ours are billet construction with an extremely accurate sending unit that is manufactured in the US. We tried the overseas units but they did not give us the accuracy, longevity and quality we require.

We sell a a/f shutdown which works extremely well which is nice to have in addition to the gauge but the wideband helps beyond just the nitrous. Many things can go wrong with any setup and a lot of times this will affect the a/f. Does not tell you what is wrong just tells you to start checking.

Dean
Sorry about that dean, i totally forgot you guys have your own brand of gauges. To the OP, we have had several customers with Deans gauges and they are high quality, accurate, reasonably priced and very nice in appearance. Not to mention he would be easier to deal with and more helpful during installation questions then anyone at summit, jegs, etc.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
Once you get your A/F dialed in on the dyno it won't vary too much. What will def. help is a controller like our microedge that has lean/rich shutdown switch. Rather then relying on looking at a gauge, the microedge will shut your system down if you go too rich or lean. Personally, i would rather rely on that then peeking my eye over at a gauge.
Wouldn't the Lean/Rich shut off in the Microedge be more effective (Accurate) from a Wideband vs a factory narrowband input ?

The other issue is its easy to say I am not going higher than a 75-100 shot and after a few bottles (nitrous or Beer) jetting up. Which would make the old tune suspect to new conditions...new jets are cheaper than a Sam Adams Twelve pack ya know...

Dynotune gauges work great. Watched them build a few at their old shop when I got my first system

If I was putting a new system together...say for the wife's new 2010 Camaro I would probably do a Dynotune (Innovate) LC-1 WB combined with a Microedge...Now if they only offered the SS in imperial blue metallic or aqua blue metallic ME-> <-GM

Last edited by Beer99C5; 01-20-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 10:50 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by beer99c5
wouldn't the lean/rich shut off in the microedge be more effective (accurate) from a wideband vs a factory narrowband input ?

The other issue is its easy to say i am not going higher than a 75-100 shot and after a few bottles (nitrous or beer) :d jetting up. Which would make the old tune suspect to new conditions...new jets are cheaper than a sam adams twelve pack ya know...

Dynotune gauges work great. Watched them build a few at their old shop when i got my first system

If i was putting a new system together...say for the wife's new 2010 camaro I would probably do a dynotune (innovate) lc-1 wb combined with a microedge...now if they only offered the ss in imperial blue metallic or aqua blue metallic me-> <-gm

:d:d:d
Old 01-21-2009, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Ok i have made up my mine i am going to get the microedge from HSW and the Nitrous pressure and fuel pressure gauges from Dave. Thanks for all the help.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:50 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Wouldn't the Lean/Rich shut off in the Microedge be more effective (Accurate) from a Wideband vs a factory narrowband input?
It would be more accurate yes.

Nick
Old 01-22-2009, 01:28 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet

Dave
The V/P gauges are the most bad *** gauge series I have ever seen. Little bit more coin then a standard autometer or digital gauge but you get soo many features. Here is mine in the LT1: