Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Standalone fuel systems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Default Standalone fuel systems...

Does anyone a link or has some time to explain how standalone fuel systems work? If I ran a stock style in-tank fuel pump setup, does the standalone have to have the same fuel pressure?

How does a big dry setup like the GBR Formula (Wayne G's) car work, big injectors (60's?) and all of the fuel comes from a single source? how is the fuel figured out, MAF?
Old 08-18-2009, 03:23 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stand alone doesn't tie into existing system, pressure doesn't matter other than its effect on Jetting. Can adjust fuel pressure to effect Air/Fuel.

Dry setup- Big injectors, either MAF under 150 or HSW interface (or tune itself) for the big stuff, dry plate/ dry direct port
Old 08-18-2009, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey john, here is a link to ours

http://www.harrisspeedworks.com/prod...&cat=68&page=1

Like stated above, it works indepently of the fuel system. Your basically give the nitrous system its own fuel to feed of off. This also enable you to run a higher octane in this tank. You can set them to run at high or low pressure. Your system whatever it may be will dictate that.

As for dry, you can go pre-maf or post maf with our interface controller. For instance i have a dry direct port running off the interface. Wayne's on the other hand is controlled by his FAST SFI aftermarket computer, BS3 would be another option. On the interface, adding fuel is as simple as changing a few switches around. Your NA motor and shot size will dictate your injector need. I imagine wayne is running at least 80'lb/hr if not more than that.
Old 08-18-2009, 04:18 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Thanks guys.

So with a standalone kit, do you run say 110 - C16 in the standalone and 93 in the main tank? Is that the purpose of a standalone?

How does the HSW controller work, is it for wet or dry?
Old 08-18-2009, 06:55 PM
FormerVendor

Exactly you can run any fuel you want to in the sell while running 93 in the tank. Thats not the purpose, but one of the benefits. The purpose is to adequatly supply your system with fuel. You can either run off the rail or go from a separate cell. When going off the rail you need to make sure you have a strong fuel pump and you have to switch over to a return style system with a regulator. You also have to remember that going off the rail can create a lean spike depending on how your setup. Fuel pressure will drop, sometimes significantly and can become a problem.

The interface plugs inline with the maf sensor. It adds additional fuel when the kit is engaged and can also pull timing for you. It can be used on wet or dry, but predominatly used to control post maf dry shots.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Thanks guys.

So with a standalone kit, do you run say 110 - C16 in the standalone and 93 in the main tank? Is that the purpose of a standalone?

How does the HSW controller work, is it for wet or dry?
You can do that, but I don't recommend it on much of a nitrous hit. If you have a street / strip car that isn't high on compression, and if you aren't spraying a bunch, it would probably be ok.
Old 08-20-2009, 05:19 PM
8 Second Club

1 gallon cell up front
140 GPH pump
-8 to pump,-6 to regulator and fuel noid
-6 return from regulator to cell
1.5 gallon fuel cell up front

c16 fuel

Worked well for a few years, now switching to a magnafuel quickstar 275 pump, 2 regulators, -8 feed,-6 return, same 1.5 gallon pump (2 direct ports). C16 fuel. My plate runs off high pressure fuel system in car.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:44 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Sup Conrad, thanks for posting more info. I recall with my 2000 white Z/28 I did not have enough fuel pump to spray both kits, I like the idea of the standalone stuff. Are you guys all running speed density and does the tune need to be changed for hot summer vs. cool fall air?
Old 08-20-2009, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Sup Conrad, thanks for posting more info. I recall with my 2000 white Z/28 I did not have enough fuel pump to spray both kits, I like the idea of the standalone stuff. Are you guys all running speed density and does the tune need to be changed for hot summer vs. cool fall air?
That usually the problem with a racetronix kit and running off the rail, its just not enough to support a decent size shot. Standalone on the other hand enables you to run that higher octane fuel and not be limited by shot size at all. As for SD, totally depends on how you want to set the car up and what you are looking to do. Most of the large shot guys are running a single plane manifold and a 4150 or 4500 style throttle body.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:53 PM
FormerVendor

John, i tried to pm you but it looks like i cant. Shoot me an email (mike@harrisspeedpworks.com) so we can talk a bit more
Old 08-20-2009, 10:51 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Sounds good Mike I turned off my PM's.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:57 AM
10 Second Club

on my car I ran SD tune and the standalone. PSJ, if you want some pics, I can shoot you the ones from my Camaro. I took all the nitrous stuff off the car before I sold it. I loved having the fuel for the nitrous coming off of the stand alone a lot better than the rail. When I had the car on the dyno, there was no huge lean spike. The leanest it went was to 13.8 when the nitrous kicked in.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to see someone use the Interface with a dry direct port, I think it would work real nice.
We have 83lb injectors that still have plenty of room for more HP.

I have never been a fan of mixing fuels, its OK on the small shots but what happens when your ready to step up? you cant base anything off of that info because your changing fuels. We try to keep as many things constant as we can so when you do make a change you know exactly what it did and how it effects the tune up.

Good luck PSJ. let me know if we can help with anything.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:46 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Thanks Wayne, I like dry setups too so that would interest me.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:57 PM
8 Second Club

I run speed density as I don't have room for a MAF now. Didn't run it in the past because I didn't want to mess with a MAF and a large cam.

Your tune will need to change regardless for different temps but usually not much.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WE TODD DID
You can do that, but I don't recommend it on much of a nitrous hit. If you have a street / strip car that isn't high on compression, and if you aren't spraying a bunch, it would probably be ok.
Just curious why you say that. My setup ill be installing soon will be a nitrous outlet 90mm plate, nitro daves stand-alone and I was planning on running MS109 in the cell with normal 91 octane in my tank. My compression is just under 11.5:1 and planning on a 200 shot. Not saying you are wrong, just trying to learn and understand.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Just curious why you say that. My setup ill be installing soon will be a nitrous outlet 90mm plate, nitro daves stand-alone and I was planning on running MS109 in the cell with normal 91 octane in my tank. My compression is just under 11.5:1 and planning on a 200 shot. Not saying you are wrong, just trying to learn and understand.
Running different octanes isn't the primary feature of the standalone systems. The primary feature is to provide fuel solely for the purpose of nitrous. It also provides you the ability to tune through fuel pressure which is not available when running off the rail. There are alot of equations involved in cutting/mixing fuels. It would be a better idea for you to run the MS109 (which is the same fuel I run) in both the tank and dedicated.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 289 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
Originally Posted by ATVracr
I have never been a fan of mixing fuels, its OK on the small shots but what happens when your ready to step up? you cant base anything off of that info because your changing fuels. We try to keep as many things constant as we can so when you do make a change you know exactly what it did and how it effects the tune up.

Good luck PSJ. let me know if we can help with anything.
What he said....^^^

Quick Reply: Standalone fuel systems...