Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do about all the oil on plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 12:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to do about all the oil on plugs?

I took off my catch can but even with it on my plugs were always drenched with all kinds of oil. sometimes ill even have a little on my throttle body when i clean it. I know this cant be good but this motor has under 10k on it. other than that it runs fine.

Should i REDO my PCV? breather filter? better catch can?
PLZ help
Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

If it has that much of a problem it is time to open up the motor and see what went wrong. A nitrous motor with any oil in the chamber is asking for trouble. I personally would not be running a pcv valve either. You ca run an electric vacuum pump to draw the moisture out and have it blow into a catch can.
Old 12-23-2009, 12:00 PM
Banned

dam i figured but what else could it be from
Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

The electric vaccum pump's don't do ****, you need a real vaccum pump on the car to ahve any effects.

You'd be better off with just breathers on the valve covers then you are with ANY type of connection to the intake from the crankcase. That's always asking for a headache.

That being said.. I would do a compression/leakdown and see if that tells you anything, if you have some sort of issue that should tell you what's going on.

If anything, pull the intake and clean it out, and try putting a couple breathers on the valvecovers, one in place of the oil cap and connect the back of the drivers and passengers side together, and cap everything else, including the small black tube running from the front of the passenger's side to the TB, and cap the pcv connections with the intake. See what that gets you, my guess is that once you clean the intake out and do this it will make a dramatic difference, unless you have an internal engine issue, or leaky valve guides.

If this clears up the issue great, problem solved. Next step though, should be a vaccum pump, to pull a vaccum on the crankcase. Not only will it prevent the blowby with the rings and help seal them, it will also give you a little power gain as well.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The electric vaccum pump's don't do ****, you need a real vaccum pump on the car to ahve any effects.

You'd be better off with just breathers on the valve covers then you are with ANY type of connection to the intake from the crankcase. That's always asking for a headache.

That being said.. I would do a compression/leakdown and see if that tells you anything, if you have some sort of issue that should tell you what's going on.

If anything, pull the intake and clean it out, and try putting a couple breathers on the valvecovers, one in place of the oil cap and connect the back of the drivers and passengers side together, and cap everything else, including the small black tube running from the front of the passenger's side to the TB, and cap the pcv connections with the intake. See what that gets you, my guess is that once you clean the intake out and do this it will make a dramatic difference, unless you have an internal engine issue, or leaky valve guides.

If this clears up the issue great, problem solved. Next step though, should be a vaccum pump, to pull a vaccum on the crankcase. Not only will it prevent the blowby with the rings and help seal them, it will also give you a little power gain as well.
thank ya sir. so block everything off? i think my tb is already blocked but the back of the valve covers block them off to? where can i get a filter to replace the oil cap?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:52 AM
Race your car!

metco makes a filter that replaces the oil fill cap. I'd run a hose fron the connection for the PCV on the drivers side that's in the back around to the passenger's side, that way the pressure has another route to get to the lowest point (being the passenger's side because of the breather there)

Cap the intake off on the passenger's side behind the TB, and if that little black hose is still running from the TB to the valve cover, cap all that off as well.
Old 12-24-2009, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

I was not saying an electric pump was a replacement for a good mechanical vacuum pump. But I don't know how many of these mechanical vacuum pumps will last 10000 miles either. So since this appears to be a street car moisture build up between oil changes will be a problem. An electric pump will pull this moisture out of the crankcase.

If your looking to help seal the rings I beleave star has an electric pump that can pull 12-15 inches of vacuum.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 PM
Banned

where can i get that filter can someone link me lol?
Old 12-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Race your car!

The oil fill cap filter, Metco makes them, I think speed inc is where I got one from last time I needed one.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Staging Lane

mine dose the samething could it be the type of oil oh and i dont spray car has 88k on it
Old 12-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Race your car!

You could have leaky valve guides too.... I'd always do a compression and leakdown first, and if that comes back good, rip the PCV off and put breathers on it. 90% of the time that fixes it.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 PM
Banned

thanks for all ur help man ill get one of them filters and try that. i have just replaced my valve seals tho so idkk
Old 12-29-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TPRDFW
I took off my catch can but even with it on my plugs were always drenched with all kinds of oil. sometimes ill even have a little on my throttle body when i clean it. I know this cant be good but this motor has under 10k on it. other than that it runs fine.

Should i REDO my PCV? breather filter? better catch can?
PLZ help
The only real fix on sprayed cars is avacuum pump, IMO. there is a pretty good on going thread about catch cans and that stuff, forget where exactly but have responded a few times last week, lots of insight and goos info.

Robert