Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got my new NOS 5177 today.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 12:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Just got my new NOS 5177 today.

I got a great price on it. $473 shipped. What else do I need besides bottle opener, warmer, window switch? I saw a guy who makes a switch panel for the ashtray. I plan on hiding it very well. Can anybody give me tips and/or suggestions. What about the fuel pump? Do I also need NGK TR6's?
Old 12-18-2003, 06:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

255lph Walbro fuel pump
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs (gap at .35-.40)
MSD Window Switch
NX Bottle Heater (DO NOT BUY AN NOS HEATER-They are ****!)
NOS/NX/DynoTune Purge kit (I recommend DynoTune)
Good switch panel (the guy on here makes really good ones from what I'm told)

Now there are a few other options to consider. Possible an even bigger fuel pump like a 340 if you plan on going farther with your mods. Also you should consider upgrading your fuel injectors. I think atleast a 36-42lb injector would put you in the safe zone with your listed mods plus nitrous. Of course, you should plan on a good dyno session, and invest in LS1 Edit, and Autotap to keep an eye on your powerplant.

I always say go bigger with fuel systems and nitrous. Once the nitrous bug bites, you will find yourself upgrading to a bigger system. I started with a 5177 kit, then upgraded to a TNT F1, now I'm getting ready to build a direct port NOS Fogger system onto a new LSX Intake. All of which have required fuel system upgrades.
Old 12-18-2003, 04:38 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fast SS on TNT
255lph Walbro fuel pump
NGK TR6 Spark Plugs (gap at .35-.40)
MSD Window Switch
NX Bottle Heater (DO NOT BUY AN NOS HEATER-They are ****!)
NOS/NX/DynoTune Purge kit (I recommend DynoTune)
Good switch panel (the guy on here makes really good ones from what I'm told)

Now there are a few other options to consider. Possible an even bigger fuel pump like a 340 if you plan on going farther with your mods. Also you should consider upgrading your fuel injectors. I think atleast a 36-42lb injector would put you in the safe zone with your listed mods plus nitrous. Of course, you should plan on a good dyno session, and invest in LS1 Edit, and Autotap to keep an eye on your powerplant.
Do I have to get a bigger pump and injectors?
Old 12-18-2003, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

With your cam install, and the amount of horsepower your already pushing....yes. I think to be on the safe side you should install a bigger pump and injectors. If you fuel starve the motor, its gonna send the knock sensor into the ozone. It will take out so much timing the car will fall flat on its face.
My car was doing the same thing. I would hit the nitrous and the car would zoom up to 5000rpm and then it was like hitting a 100mph head wind. The car litteraly would fall on its face.
Its a small investment, that will come to fruitation when you add more power later down the road.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Who makes the switch panel?
Old 12-18-2003, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think you really have to have a window switch on the dry system do you? unless you wanted it to turn it off...... I have heard of people spraying dry systems @ 1500 rpm before.

I would definately upgrade fuel pumps!

Fast SS on TNT........... WHAT in the hell size tires are those on the back???? 29's?? Those things are HUGE!!!

Josh S.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:12 PM
Teching In

You DEFINATELY need a window switch with a 6 speed car. It's a must, unless you want to buy a new engine. One hit of the rev limiter = blown motor.

You need different plugs, I use Autolite 103's, and you can use the TR6's also.

You DO NOT need a purge on a dry system. Just activate it when your doing a burn out if you really want to purge it (not needed at all, it just delays the hit .00002 seconds).

With your current 400 rwhp, and a 100 dry shot, you should be making about 470 rwhp. Not enough (IMO) for a fuel pump upgrade (unless you want peace of mind), but I would definately upgrade your injectors (dry kits are hard on injectors).

Have fun with the spray!!
Old 12-19-2003, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those is just little old 28 inch Hoosierdaddy slicks.

I still think he should upgrade his fuel pump. If he goes with a Stage II head upgrade, he will max out the fuel pump. I'm a firm believer that Fbody fuel pumps are not big enough for anything over 450hp. Better safe then sorry in my book. Its only a $150 bucks and a few hours of your life to change out the pump.

Get a damn purge, for nothing more then "oh cool" factor. I'm installing a Dynotune purge system with twin outlets. I like the "oh cool" or in some cases "oh ****" factor that comes with a nice purge of nitrous. I purged just before racing some guy in a bonestock C5. The look on his face when he saw the nitrous plume was worth the $90 bucks I invested in the purge system. I saw the "OH ****" look on his face.

I don't hide the fact that I run nitrous. I love the notorious reputation that I have aquired because of it. "OH ****, HERE COME JASON.....THAT ***** SPRAYS THE **** OUT OF HIS MOTOR"
Come get some.

Last edited by Fast SS on TNT; 12-19-2003 at 11:07 AM.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi AL:

If you plan on make more mods in the future i think invest in a full sistem worth in the long run!!

Victor
Old 01-04-2004, 11:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ss1le02
I got a great price on it. $473 shipped.
Whered you buy it at that great price?
Old 01-05-2004, 02:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by maddboost
Whered you buy it at that great price?
Off LS1.com. It was new in the box.

Update. It's pretty much totally installed. I've been having a blast hiding it. The solenoids are mounted to my SSRA. I then ran the lines into the SSRA and through the filter. I made a killer floor mounted WOT switch bracket. I also mounted the 15lb.bottle in the wheelwell. I bought a NX opener and it fits all in there with no rubbing on the speaker. I made my own switch panel for the ashtray out of leftover piece of ABS plastic that I use to make the SSRA's. I'll be getting a window switch from my buddy the sold me the opener. The NX opener cost $180. It's never been used. I just tested it for the first time today. I mean, I turned the key to on, armed it, and pushed the gas pedal to the floor. It was great to hear the noids clicking. It's deep winter here in Minnesota, so I won't get to test it until March.

What size/brand injectors? I've seen people recommend SVO 30 lbs ones.

If anyone want pics I'll try and post them of my hidden set up. How have people hidden the FPSS?

Here's a couple pics of my cars. The 67 Chevelle SS I bought in high school back in 1984. My 02 SS Camaro I bought in Sept 01 in Memphis.
Attached Thumbnails Just got my new NOS 5177 today.-chevelle.jpg   Just got my new NOS 5177 today.-ss-sunny-side.jpg  
Old 01-05-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

30lbs SVO's are good for what your doing. They equal out to, I think about 36-37lbs with the LS1's higher fuel pressure. Or go bigger (more expensive) with some 42lbs injectors.
Remember! You will have to tune for larger injectors. Otherwise your car will be pig rich. Easy to install. Just make sure you put a little vaseline on each O ring, or you will tear them up, and have a leak.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:21 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fast SS on TNT
30lbs SVO's are good for what your doing. They equal out to, I think about 36-37lbs with the LS1's higher fuel pressure. Or go bigger (more expensive) with some 42lbs injectors.
Remember! You will have to tune for larger injectors. Otherwise your car will be pig rich. Easy to install. Just make sure you put a little vaseline on each O ring, or you will tear them up, and have a leak.
Where can I get the best price on SVO 30lb injectors.
for plugs I'm getting the TR 6's. I just want a copper plug right? #4177
Old 01-05-2004, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Try Mark at www.ragingmotorsports.com

He should be able to get you a good price. He usually can beat anyone's advertised price on here.

Quick Reply: Just got my new NOS 5177 today.