Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need some help

Bellow is a diagram I put together and tested with out the window switch attached. I put the wire from the FPSS to the window switch straight to ground for the test so I didn't have to rev the motor and have my buddy listen for clicking niods.

I thought I had it figured out tonight until arming either stage activated their appropriate noids. We disconnected the throttle switch thinking we might have a faulty ground and it still was firing the noids for both systems individually when armed. Tracing it down to the switches. It seems due to the light in the switches and requiring a ground, when armed it's firing the noids. doesn't seem right though.. Am I over looking something?
Attached Thumbnails Need some help-n20_wiring.jpg  
Old 12-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Ok.. Just got done playing with it some more.. Here is a little more info..

I disconnected the ground that goes to the arming switches. It works perfect!!! No issues at all..

I then thought maybe there was something going on with the relays and decided to swap the +12 switch power to 86 on the relay and route 85 to the throttle switch and FPSS. If one stage is armed (doesn't matter if it's stage 1 or 2), it will not fire until I go WOT but then releasing WOT will not disengage the coil, keeping the noids open to flow. Even disconnecting the ground that would normally go through the window switch doesn't disengage the single stage that is armed. Only way to kill it is to turn the switch off.

However, if both stages are armed with out put of the FPSS grounded (instead of going through the window switch) both fire and release with the throttle switch..

I have to say I am baffled.. Some how the ground in the arming switches is screwing it up.. Ideas??
Old 12-24-2009, 12:48 PM

Some how I had a feeling people would be as stumped as myself..
Old 12-24-2009, 01:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What window switch it it?

the only thing I dont like is the window switch and arming wires are coming together and then going to the fuse box. You have everything hooked up the the relays correctly. There is something with that window switch, arm switch wiring.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take the wires off pin 85 on the switch. you dont need those, you are trying to use that as a ground which when you arm the system it is grounding the system and turning everything on.

Take the window switch and tie it into pin 85 and it all should work. so when you get in your rpm window it will ground the system and allow everything to come on.

makes sense in my head but you might no understand. your problem is from pin 85 on the relay though that wont work.

You have one big circle going on.
Old 12-24-2009, 01:40 PM

Cam,

The window switch I plan on using (used on my old 01 ss and this very pile of truck) is a Harlan. It can only support .5a, so I need it to ground the coil side of the relays.

I was doing all the testing with out the window switch hooked up. The wire leaving the relay passing through the TPS and WS acting as ground was manually put to ground by me

What really has me puzzled is the ground on the arming switches effecting the circuit. I tried 2 other lighted switched with the same effect..
Old 12-24-2009, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by camscam02
take the wires off pin 85 on the switch. you dont need those, you are trying to use that as a ground which when you arm the system it is grounding the system and turning everything on.

Take the window switch and tie it into pin 85 and it all should work. so when you get in your rpm window it will ground the system and allow everything to come on.

makes sense in my head but you might no understand. your problem is from pin 85 on the relay though that wont work.

You have one big circle going on.

Cam,

85 is sending the power to the relay coil.. I am then attempting to use 86 as a ground through the TPS - FPSS and WS completing the circuit on the coil, firing the relay. Does that make sense..
Old 12-24-2009, 05:03 PM

I could change it to this.. This is almost how NX says to do it.. Only changes is there is normally a push button between the Stage 2 switch and relay. Also the relays normally go to ground vs the window switch..
Attached Thumbnails Need some help-n20-wiring-2.jpg  
Old 12-26-2009, 05:12 PM

Right on.. I just got home and went to the shop with 2 diodes.. Wired them in line and it works like I wanted.. Thanks to all that participated in figuring out my issue.. It's nice to have other set of eyes looking at things..

Now I just need to add in the fuel pump switch side to both arming switches and the window switch on the intended ground. I should be able to start testing it for real in the next couple days..

One other thing I need to figure out is how much current pull all 4 noids take so I can put a fuse in line there..