Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous vs. motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 PM
I write checks with my mouth that my ass can't cash

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous vs. motor

i have an auto car and i was wondering do you pretty much have to decide about running nitrous when you buy your stall ?....will a car be either a nitrous car or an all motor car or can you make it run great n/a times and great nitrous times....will setting your car up for nitrous greatly raise your all motor times ?..just curious because i want to run my car all motor but am highly considering a nitrous setup and im buying a stall so i am wondering if i have to decide weather i want my car to run best n/a or with spray or can i set it up for both...thanks sorry so long and confusing...
Old 01-29-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 00blacka4
i have an auto car and i was wondering do you pretty much have to decide about running nitrous when you buy your stall ?....will a car be either a nitrous car or an all motor car or can you make it run great n/a times and great nitrous times....will setting your car up for nitrous greatly raise your all motor times ?..just curious because i want to run my car all motor but am highly considering a nitrous setup and im buying a stall so i am wondering if i have to decide weather i want my car to run best n/a or with spray or can i set it up for both...thanks sorry so long and confusing...
Stay around a 3600 for a car that will see a lot of both. I wouldn't go over a 3800. Some people go as small as a 3200 but most I have seen are a turd on motor then.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:02 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lemons12
Stay around a 3600 for a car that will see a lot of both. I wouldn't go over a 3800. Some people go as small as a 3200 but most I have seen are a turd on motor then.
That is not a true statement, the converter flash or stall you are stating here doesnt have a whole lot to do with a nitrous vs motor converter. You can have nitrous converters with stalls of 5000 that will be super tight on motor. There is a lot more to a converter then just the stall or flash. It has to do with how much it locks up over a pass or how tight it is and what rpm it drops on the shift.

Therefore, why an off the shelf converter is not the best idea. That is all.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by camscam02
That is not a true statement, the converter flash or stall you are stating here doesnt have a whole lot to do with a nitrous vs motor converter. You can have nitrous converters with stalls of 5000 that will be super tight on motor. There is a lot more to a converter then just the stall or flash. It has to do with how much it locks up over a pass or how tight it is and what rpm it drops on the shift.

Therefore, why an off the shelf converter is not the best idea. That is all.
I was assuming we were talking 500-800$ converters.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:15 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Agree..

My Pro Edge 4000 stall is configured for my setup.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:21 PM
9 Second Club

I was assuming we were talking 500-800$ converters.
Price should have nothing to do with it. And yes you can have what I explained for the price you listed. All it takes is a good converter builder.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:51 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Originally Posted by 00blacka4
just curious because i want to run my car all motor but am highly considering a nitrous setup and im buying a stall so i am wondering if i have to decide weather i want my car to run best n/a or with spray or can i set it up for both...thanks sorry so long and confusing...
Many here have had good luck with an off the shelf converter for both n/a and nitrous, but you may want to contact a converter company (FTI, Edge, Circle D) that can custom build one for your needs.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Price should have nothing to do with it. And yes you can have what I explained for the price you listed. All it takes is a good converter builder.
What sponsor would do it?
Old 01-30-2010, 12:27 AM
9 Second Club

What sponsor would do it?
FTI is who I recommend. Im not sure on there 4l60 prices but it should be within that range. Greg there will be able to build a converter to the best of his ability's to satisfy n/a and nitrous combos.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

FTI is who I recommend. Im not sure on there 4l60 prices but it should be within that range. Greg there will be able to build a converter to the best of his ability's to satisfy n/a and nitrous combos.
Did not know you could pick a custom converter up for that cheap, learn something every day!
Old 01-30-2010, 04:26 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

You can't make GREAT times both ways. You can make very good times both ways with exacltly the right converter. A good nitrous conveter will hurt your N/A times because it will be a bit tight. A good N/A converter will be a bit high for the nitrous so you will be stalling it a bit higher then your ideal set up on the juice. If you go with a mid range converter and have it specked for your goals, you can make very good times both ways.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:43 AM
11 Second Club

I have a protorque converter on motor i've gone 12.38 with a best of a 1.78 60'. On spray i've gone 11.04 with a best of 1.54 60'. I've never had a traction issue which on bottle or motor, but on motor just cant get it to leave harder