Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

solenoid is apart, I have a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default solenoid is apart, I have a question

I'm getting ready to rebuild my nos 16020 nitrous solenoids and I have a question. As soon as I took the big nut off the top, there is a silver washer and a flat brass washer as well. The flat brass washer is warped all to hell. It don't say anything about this part in the replacement kit and it don't come with one. Does this need to be replaced if so can I just match it up at the hardware store? It don't look like it really does anything

Last edited by edzsilverss; 02-02-2010 at 12:13 AM.
Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edzsilverss
I'm getting ready to rebuild my nos 16020 nitrous solenoids and I have a question. As soon as I took the big nut off the top, there is a silver washer and a flat brass washer as well. The flat brass washers are both warped all to hell. It don't say anything about this part in the replacement kit and it don't come with one. Does this need to be replaced if so can I just match it up at the hardware store? I don't look like it reallyt does anything
post a pic of the "warped washer" you are speaking of. it could be a spring washer. can you press it flat with your hand and it springs back up?
Old 02-01-2010, 06:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by speedy55
post a pic of the "warped washer" you are speaking of. it could be a spring washer. can you press it flat with your hand and it springs back up?
sorry bro, I have no way to post pictures on here. No freakin camera. I can push it down and it pops right up and is very flat and a brass color. It was on top of the big silver steel washer against the black hard plastic thing inside the top of the noid where the nut goes. Sorry, that's the best I can describe it. BTW, after getting the rest apart, everything looks brand new and the seal looks great. These are 10 years old, should I go ahead and rebuild them if the look fine? The plunger is flat as it can be and the seal looks moist and in great shape.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you really risking the idea of using solenoids that are 10 years old? Ditch them, its not worth it.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:35 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Greekey
Are you really risking the idea of using solenoids that are 10 years old? Ditch them, its not worth it.
Are you talking about using them at all or not rebuilding them? They are only material after all. If they are rebuilt, they will be just fine. In fact, I think they are fine now but I'm going to rebuild them to make sure. After the rebuild, what's old about them. Hell my car is older than that but you don't see me getting a new one. lol Have you ever taken one apart? There is not that much to them
Old 02-02-2010, 09:40 AM
FormerVendor

I'm getting ready to rebuild my nos 16020 nitrous solenoids and I have a question. As soon as I took the big nut off the top, there is a silver washer and a flat brass washer as well. The flat brass washer is warped all to hell. It don't say anything about this part in the replacement kit and it don't come with one. Does this need to be replaced if so can I just match it up at the hardware store? It don't look like it really does anything
Sounds like a spring washer like pointed out above. What's the thickness of it?

Nick
Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Sounds like a spring washer like pointed out above. What's the thickness of it?

Nick
It's very thin. After reading more, I'm pretty sure it is. BTW, everything inside still looked great. Should I go ahead and rebuild them to make sure? I mean can the plunger look good and still be bad? Sorry for all the dumb questions I just don't want my hood to blow off the car.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 AM
FormerVendor

It's very thin. After reading more, I'm pretty sure it is. BTW, everything inside still looked great. Should I go ahead and rebuild them to make sure? I mean can the plunger look good and still be bad? Sorry for all the dumb questions I just don't want my hood to blow off the car.
You have it apart..I would for safe measures...the particles that will hang open a solenoid are so tiny.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
You have it apart..I would for safe measures...the particles that will hang open a solenoid are so tiny.
Ok cool. I already ordered the two kits and they were only 66.00 shipped. Might as well play it safe. The only thing that looked worn was the tiny spring. Thanks again for the help!!! Do you lube anything inside when rebuilding or just clean everything real good? There was a shitload of crap in my filter that I cleaned out btw. I'm glad it's in there and working.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In your other post you stated the solenoids were new and never used. If thats the case save your money on the rebuild kit...

Just pull it apart and make sure there is no trash in them. Then put them back together and pressure test them. Odds are they are perfectly fine.

As to the warped washer.. Its not really warped. Its a spring washer and was real common on those solenoids. It was designed to keep tention against the nut to keep it from backing loose..

Dave
Old 02-02-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
In your other post you stated the solenoids were new and never used. If thats the case save your money on the rebuild kit...

Just pull it apart and make sure there is no trash in them. Then put them back together and pressure test them. Odds are they are perfectly fine.

As to the warped washer.. Its not really warped. Its a spring washer and was real common on those solenoids. It was designed to keep tention against the nut to keep it from backing loose..

Dave
No I said that that everything inside still "looked new" they are 10 years old and I used them many times. Just not since 2004. The plungers looks good and the Orings don't have any rips or anything. I just don't know what to look for to tell you the truth. The springs are the only thing that shows wear.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:24 PM
FormerVendor

Ohh ok.. My mis understanding. Looking at the piston material on the end. Normaly this is the area that gets worn out from slaming down on the seat. If there is a large nipple embedded into the material it needs replaced.

Looking at the fuel soleoid, the most common issue is a swollen plunger due to fuel. Since the fuels have changed since those solenoids were designed It would be a good idea to get a piston designed to work with todays fuels.. Or purchase a new solenoid designed to work with todays fuels..
Dave
Old 02-02-2010, 03:20 PM
TECH Regular

Ohh ok.. My mis understanding. Looking at the piston material on the end. Normaly this is the area that gets worn out from slaming down on the seat. If there is a large nipple embedded into the material it needs replaced.

Looking at the fuel soleoid, the most common issue is a swollen plunger due to fuel. Since the fuels have changed since those solenoids were designed It would be a good idea to get a piston designed to work with todays fuels.. Or purchase a new solenoid designed to work with todays fuels..
Dave
There is a circle indention on the very bottom where it has been hitting the nipple. I think I'll go ahead and rebuild them just to be safe. I have the dry nos 5177 kit with the dual nitrous noids only.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:54 PM
FormerVendor

Indentation is normal. The question is has it created a large nipple or not.. Nothing wrong with replacing them... I am just trying to answer your questions to give you the knowledge of what to look for.
Dave
Old 02-02-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

Indentation is normal. The question is has it created a large nipple or not.. Nothing wrong with replacing them... I am just trying to answer your questions to give you the knowledge of what to look for.
Dave
Nope, no large nipple on either of them and I appreciate the help. As you can tell, I've never had one apart before. As I have them apart, I'm still trying to figure out exactly what happens when they are activated lol. BTW, I placed my order for the single 150 pill with you guys yesterday and it shipped the same day. That's quick and great service.