Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help, which kit?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help, which kit?

ok guys, im getting a nitrous kit for my car, its between a ZEX universal wet shot kit with computer and purge with a 75 shot jet lines and everything for $320 used, and $120 to get it put in at local shop.

The other one is a LS1 wet plate shot that came off a another camaro, its a 100 shot i think it comes with 150 shot jets too. the guy i buy it from will hook it up and everything for $400

The guy with the ZEX kit says its got a computer with it so if anything is about to go wrong, it will shut off, he said he payed $750 for the kit brand new and $150 for the purge kit. he said he bought it cause it was a safe kit and it sounds like one, the other kit i dont know that much about.

I'm leaning towards the ZEX kit, but i need some help
advice please?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

may sound a little harsh but...... sounds like you dont jack about nitrous and Nothing about either kit! sorry, but i recommend you buy neither and research both kits BEFORE you buy. I too and VERY Impatient with speed toys, but trust me, TAKE YOUR TIME, learn a little first. if you miss these, another and another will come along. It is hard to give you an opinion on either kit, due to the lack of information. Zex makes Very nice kits, but so do SEVERAL other companies. you need to look at what you expect from the car and the kit, then find the kit that fits those two goals. DO NOT TAKE THESE GUYS' WORDS ON WHAT THEY ARE SELLING!! posting here is a good start, but at least find out What type of "computer" this guy is talking about. get part numbers, heck even a Brand name for the second.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

search search search and search some more, theres way more that goes into this stuff than you think. When its time to get a kit, I would recommend one of the sponsers on here that specialize in these cars, none of that universal crap.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:09 AM
FormerVendor

We have quite a few options available that might fall into your price range. Feel free to give us a call or shoot me over a PM.

nick
Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 PM
11 Second Club

your right, i dont know much about it, but i'm trying to learn
Old 02-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Launching!

im in the same spot op. theres a thread in this section that has a link with some very good info. also, i went to harris speed works website, and other sponsors sites, and just went down the list of all the nitrous parts individually to see what they were. then searched each part on here to get a better understanding.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Josh,

If I were you, and you do nitrous, i would get everything right the first time. Not only would you need the kit but there are a lot of safety precautions you can buy to aid in the safety and longevity of your motor. A start would be colder plugs, window switch, fuel pump (racetronix makes a good one or the standard walbro), FPSS, retarding timing, etc, just to name a few.

Also, i have had Zex on a S2000 of mine in the past. The "computer" the guy is referring to is a box that supposively monitors the A/F ratio and tries to prevent you from going lean. Theres only so much that box can do and the higher the shot, the less effective that box is. There is no guarantee that box will keep your engine from going (i blew my engine in my S2000 on a 100 shot). Thats not saying a Zex kit is bad, but that even with that kit, you need to take precaution.

I honestly would lean more towards a HSW, TNT or Nitro Daves kit. If you buy a kit like that, and set it up properly, it will not only be safe but hit a lot harder than a Zex.
Old 02-09-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kilgothephenom
Josh,

If I were you, and you do nitrous, i would get everything right the first time. Not only would you need the kit but there are a lot of safety precautions you can buy to aid in the safety and longevity of your motor. A start would be colder plugs, window switch, fuel pump (racetronix makes a good one or the standard walbro), FPSS, retarding timing, etc, just to name a few.

Also, i have had Zex on a S2000 of mine in the past. The "computer" the guy is referring to is a box that supposively monitors the A/F ratio and tries to prevent you from going lean. Theres only so much that box can do and the higher the shot, the less effective that box is. There is no guarantee that box will keep your engine from going (i blew my engine in my S2000 on a 100 shot). Thats not saying a Zex kit is bad, but that even with that kit, you need to take precaution.

I honestly would lean more towards a HSW, TNT or Nitro Daves kit. If you buy a kit like that, and set it up properly, it will not only be safe but hit a lot harder than a Zex.
Why did you blow on a 100 shot?
Old 02-09-2010, 10:37 PM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are alot of options and methods when useing nitrous. And unfortintly there is alot of poor advice out there as well as good advice. Knowing the difference between good and bad advice can be very difficult if you do not have the knowledge to know any better. In that case the safest route for information would be to call us and talk one on one with one of our technical reps. Get the specifics on the two systems you are looking at and one of our reps can advise you on what would be better and if anything is missing.
Nothing loss to you since even the call is free 1-866-648-7637.

IN the mean time here is a good explanation on the basics.
http://www.nitroustech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2

Dave
Old 02-10-2010, 04:49 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Greekey
Leaned out. I bent 8 valves and put a whole new head on just to hear that noise was also coming from the shortblock and i had piston chatter. I had to buy a whole new engine. Now i take the precautions with nitrous.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

I went with the hsw dry plate. Should have it installed this spring. purchased the accessory package w/ interface. it's a nice nitrous system for a bolton car lookin to not spray more than 125 shot. Now this setup is far more capable than that, but some additional pcm tuning will be required, not a big deal. The interface also allows you maintain your na tune, but will adjust the fuel/timing as needed when on the spray. I think the dry technology is a good option for the plastic ls intakes, less chance of a back fire... For a track car, the n2o outlet wet plate kit would be killer. Im just not a fan of wet on a street car. Although there are some guys running bigs shots dry also. look up atvrcr setup, he is sprayin 300+ direct dry. I think robert56 is sprayin that much on his vette dry aswell.
Old 02-10-2010, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for all the help, i didnt buy either one, I think ima just get my 373s installed and get a 3600 TCI street fighter stall converter. good idea, Stall and gears first?

im going to keep researching and learning what i can, i will deal with nitrous later, my problem is i'm impatient and want to go fast now!
thanks for the advice

Hey Paul, when u gonna bring that car to darlington?
p.s. i didnt sell it
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

HSW just got thier kit with sick solenoid moutning bracket and it was 575 shipped
havent sprauyed yet but i cant waiiiiiiiiit
gonna get their microedge programmer prolyl too
Old 02-11-2010, 03:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Greekey
cause he put 100 shot on a motor thats rated at 180hp. lol jk
Old 02-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jheath5193
thanks for all the help, i didnt buy either one, I think ima just get my 373s installed and get a 3600 TCI street fighter stall converter. good idea, Stall and gears first?

im going to keep researching and learning what i can, i will deal with nitrous later, my problem is i'm impatient and want to go fast now!
thanks for the advice

Hey Paul, when u gonna bring that car to darlington?
p.s. i didnt sell it
I want to come very soon! Since i last spoke with you i have purchased a MS4 cam, PRC dual valve springs, a TCI 4000 SSF converter, a ls6 ported oil pump, pushrods and a trans cooler. I will be getting all that installed March 6th with a tune as well. I want to take it once i have it on and see how i run. With the mods i have now (especially the 4.11 gears), i hope to hit mid 11s. Ill need to borrow your tires too.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by itsslow98
cause he put 100 shot on a motor thats rated at 180hp. lol jk

Honestly that is probably part of the reason why. That, and the fact that i didnt take any neccessary precautions because i was young and stupid. I just bolted it on and assumed the Zex box would do its thing. Expensive mistake.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea not bustin ur *****, your not the first and wont be the last who does it or has it happen to them. It can happen with every safety precaution there is you never know.

Quick Reply: need help, which kit?