Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are the details of this NXL "fuel reservoir"?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What are the details of this NXL "fuel reservoir"?

I currently have one of the first NXL systems that were shipped, sitting on my garage floor ready to be installed this spring. But I was reading another post and they mentioned that the kits need a special "fuel reservoir." Anybody have details of this part?
thanks
Old 01-09-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeanWS6
I currently have one of the first NXL systems that were shipped, sitting on my garage floor ready to be installed this spring. But I was reading another post and they mentioned that the kits need a special "fuel reservoir." Anybody have details of this part?
thanks
Well, I have one of the first NXL kits that was sold also, already installed on my car. Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to run it yet being that it is freezing outside and covered with snow.

Anyway, the others that have used the kit have experienced a pressure drop in the fuel rails when the system hits - even with the high flow rails and upgraded fuel pumps. Basically what happens is that when the system hits, for a split second the rails are emptied of fuel before they fill back up. This causes a split second "hesitation" or bog when the system is activated.

Supposedly NX is developing an "accumulator" resevoir that will hold extra fuel in it and connected to the fuel rail to eliminate this problem. I was told that they would be available this month awhile ago but I haven't heard of anything.

Nitro Dave might know the status on this.... or you could just call NX yourself and ask them. I know I'm curious about this too. I was told that those of us that bought the early system would most likely have this part sent to us being they will include this part in all future NXL systems. Anyone know anything on ETA for this part?
Old 01-09-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

The accumulator will not be ready for shipment until sometime in February and for those of us who bought the first kits, they will be available for purchasing at a discounted rate.

Once they are completed all new kits will come with the accumulator.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks for the details guys. Can we still run the NXL without this part. I can live with a 1/2 second hesitiation - not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. My TA's put away in storage until March/April (chicago winters suck) so I guess I can wait. But if I remember, NX was going to release the NXL in Feb 2003, but didnt actually release until Oct 03 So I guess we'll see this new fuel system for next season -2005.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MeanWS6
thanks for the details guys. Can we still run the NXL without this part. I can live with a 1/2 second hesitiation - not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. My TA's put away in storage until March/April (chicago winters suck) so I guess I can wait. But if I remember, NX was going to release the NXL in Feb 2003, but didnt actually release until Oct 03 So I guess we'll see this new fuel system for next season -2005.
Yeah, you can still run it. There are several people who have been running it just like it is. The problem has been reported more for some people than others. probably the bigger shot you use the more noticeble it will be IMO.

I have a dual intank FP setup so maybe with the extra high fuel pressure it will eliminate some of the bogging, but we'll see.

Last edited by JF WS6; 01-10-2004 at 12:11 AM.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default just noticed something about an NXL kit i have...

What the hell are you supposed to do about a fuel pressure regulator?There isnt one being used anymore..sooo they expect you to buy an aftermarket regulator or what? Thank's,

Carter
Old 01-14-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

The NXL accumulator is a BEAST, I'll say that much Briefly described, its about 2-1/2" in diameter by nearly 4" long. BIG chunk of billet aluminum with a fat spring and piston inside. You connect this unit via -6 line (or was it -8? can't remember) to the back of your fuel rail. Once the solenoids open and the pressure drops, the accumulator steps in and holds the pressure steady. The test unit is built, and once it gets the thumbs up from testing it will go into production.

On the LS1 NXL, the fuel pressure regulator is still there -- its in the fuel tank. What you're removing when you pull your stock rails is a fuel pulse dampener. If the regulator were up front, the dropping pressure issue wouldn't be nearly as harsh. The fact GM decided to put the regulator in the tank is why we have this problem
Old 01-14-2004, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brains
The NXL accumulator is a BEAST, I'll say that much Briefly described, its about 2-1/2" in diameter by nearly 4" long. BIG chunk of billet aluminum with a fat spring and piston inside. You connect this unit via -6 line (or was it -8? can't remember) to the back of your fuel rail. Once the solenoids open and the pressure drops, the accumulator steps in and holds the pressure steady. The test unit is built, and once it gets the thumbs up from testing it will go into production.

On the LS1 NXL, the fuel pressure regulator is still there -- its in the fuel tank. What you're removing when you pull your stock rails is a fuel pulse dampener. If the regulator were up front, the dropping pressure issue wouldn't be nearly as harsh. The fact GM decided to put the regulator in the tank is why we have this problem
Hey Brains, you got any idea how much this may cost for people who have already purchased the NXL kit (probably not, but just thought I'd ask?) I definately want this thing as soon as I can get it. Did they design it to mount in a specific location in the engine bay?
Old 01-14-2004, 01:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Sorry, don't have any idea on cost. You can mount the unit anywhere, it connects with a regular braided hose.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Does anybody have any more details? NX is being tight lipped about it.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Really they were very open to talk to me about it 3 months ago.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, I called Monday and again yesterday. Think I talked to the same sales guy. Said he didnt have much info. If you talked to them, do you have details. I just wanted to know before I drop my NXL in.
Old 01-22-2004, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ask to talk to Kevin he is the guy that designs the stuff. VERY GOOD GUY!!

We discussed it in depth a long time ago, do a search on the NXL and the hesitation
Old 01-22-2004, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

The prototype accumulator has passed its first batch of real-world testing, and is going on to the next level of testing and quality assurance. The good news is it works like a champ
Old 01-22-2004, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

sooo.. the real question, is, HOW MUCH LONGER .... before my kit is hooked up I'm probably ditchint the rest of the stock fuel sytem anyways... i.e. real return line and regualtor somewhere near the front.... probably will also plug that little inlet on the side up, and just Y off of the line comming from the pump directly into the front of the rails... will be interesting once it's done.. but it's a ways off as I am not hooking the kit up electrically, and installing the new fuel system, until after the new motor is broken in, and being that we are still waiting on the block, it might be a month or two...
Old 01-22-2004, 10:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

If you do a return style fuel system, you won't need the accumulator.. Stock cars need the accumulator because the regulator is too far away from the rails. Once you move the regulator and return line up to where the demand for fuel is (rails), the pressure drop becomes a thing of the past
Old 02-03-2004, 02:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Anyone heard anything new about the accumulator? When is this thing going to be released?
Old 02-05-2004, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

anybody hear anything on this. NX said it would be here last month, then it got pushed to Feb - whats the story.
Old 02-05-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'll see what I can find out
Old 02-05-2004, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

I'm interested to know more details on this before I drop the cash on the NXL kit.