Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NOS 5177 on a Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question NOS 5177 on a Cold Air Intake

Hello. I'm looking into getting a 5177 dry kit for my 'vette. The only thing that is holding me back is my Vortex cold air intake. Since it is a cold air box I don't want to mount the nozzles on the airbox. I'd loose a lot of nitrous. My filter looks like this:

I can plumb a single nozzle into the top of the filter right into the rubber portion that holds the top inverted cone filter pleats together but the MAF is right behind the MAF on the vette and I would be afraid of freezing it.

I could make a plate to go over the somewhat like the ZEX filter:

so the nozzle would shoot at the rubber holding the top pleats together and diffuse somewhat, then go through the top filter pleats but I don't want to freeze the filter pleats either. Plus on the Camaros the nozzles are on the clean side of the filter so I'm not sure what type of HP loss would be involved, if any, having the nitrous diffusing and going through the filter.

Anyone have a dry kit with this type of intake? Any comments are welcome.

Thanks
Old 02-06-2004, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Hmmmm. I'm sure you would lose a bit of nitrous by actually spraying through the filter. I've seen a few setups where they've tapped holes into the filter and ran a jet through it, so you're spraying on the clean side of the filter even though your line is coming in through the dirty side. If you can do this with your filter I think that would make the most sense.

Does Zex make a filter that would fit your car? That would probably be the easiest and cleanest method. You could also spray under your MAF, but that's not really recommended because there's the possibility of freezing it.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm sure ZEX does but I can make mine just like the ZEX by tapping into the rubber in the middle of the top inverted cone pleats. Then it would be almost the same. But in either case it's spraying right at the MAF < 6" from the wires and that may freeze them.

Originally Posted by Dracus
Hmmmm. I'm sure you would lose a bit of nitrous by actually spraying through the filter. I've seen a few setups where they've tapped holes into the filter and ran a jet through it, so you're spraying on the clean side of the filter even though your line is coming in through the dirty side. If you can do this with your filter I think that would make the most sense.

Does Zex make a filter that would fit your car? That would probably be the easiest and cleanest method. You could also spray under your MAF, but that's not really recommended because there's the possibility of freezing it.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

i it set up where the nitrous comes strait threw the FIPK and i have not had any problems. U will not lose much nitrous since the inside of the intake is a massive vacuum.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by me_eat_rice
i it set up where the nitrous comes strait threw the FIPK and i have not had any problems. U will not lose much nitrous since the inside of the intake is a massive vacuum.
So you spray right into the filter? From the dirty side? Not sure what you mean by "through". Do you have any pics?
Old 02-06-2004, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

I'm prpeping myself for the same boat your in. I'm thinking about selling my Vortex and going the Donaldson route. Very simular setup to most Camaro/Firebirds. Just install one or two nitrous nozzles through the donaldson filter at each opposing end of the filter. A direct path to the intake tract is established without a direct shot of nitrous on the maf wires.
Old 02-07-2004, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

i will post pics in a couple of days
Old 02-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by me_eat_rice
can you send me pics of your setup?

I have a K&N FIPK, and 100 shot dry Kit. my MAF wire broke, and I am not sure if it was due to freezing or just bad back.

thanks,
Jonny