Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110 Octane...150 shot and stock motor?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 09:14 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question 110 Octane...150 shot and stock motor?

Kind of a newb question but after looking through most of the threads on here, it doesnt seem to be covered..

I recently put a NOS plate kit on my 99 T/A ...and was curious if there was necessarrily any ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES to running 104 up to 110 octane in the car...or maybe throwing a few gallons in the tank when it gets low to boost up the shitty 91 octane with up to 10 or 15% ethanol they have around here. Thanks.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:40 AM
On The Tree

I always put a few gallons on the no lead race fuel at the track when running nitrous as kind of an insurance policy in case the 93 octane I get at the pump is a little funky or something. The total volume of race gas is never more than 30-40% of total fuel in the car. I have also used C16 leaded race gas as well many times, just keep the ratio heavier towards pump gas.

I also pull 5deg. timing of my n/a tune as well.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:29 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Many run a separate fuel cell dedicated for the nitrous for that reason, spraying a higher octane in with the nitrous only when needed to prevent detonation, not to mention cheaper on the fuel since you really use less.

I cheat, there is a small air field next to my house and their aviation fuel storage takes debit cards, so i always run that av gas, 100 octane low lead and it works perfect. It is blue for some reason, probably means taxed or something like that, smells nothing like gasoline.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:47 PM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Many run a separate fuel cell dedicated for the nitrous for that reason, spraying a higher octane in with the nitrous only when needed to prevent detonation, not to mention cheaper on the fuel since you really use less.

I cheat, there is a small air field next to my house and their aviation fuel storage takes debit cards, so i always run that av gas, 100 octane low lead and it works perfect. It is blue for some reason, probably means taxed or something like that, smells nothing like gasoline.
Aviation Gas is horrible for nitrous use. It burns extraordinarily hot. I would not use that on even a small shot in my car.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1MeanTA
Kind of a newb question but after looking through most of the threads on here, it doesnt seem to be covered..

I recently put a NOS plate kit on my 99 T/A ...and was curious if there was necessarrily any ADVANTAGES/DISADVANTAGES to running 104 up to 110 octane in the car...or maybe throwing a few gallons in the tank when it gets low to boost up the shitty 91 octane with up to 10 or 15% ethanol they have around here. Thanks.
what DISADVANTAGES would think it would have? maybe a thinner wallet and if you use leaded good bye o2 sensors
Old 04-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Definately the best option with a designated fuel cell. Running on race in your tank is a little scary with these newer cars. Be careful with it, LOTS of heat.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:30 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

No telling, on my end, plugs never have a issue, several friends run it and never had a problem, maybe N/A it could be a issue on high compression and then a N2O shot? Got to be safer than pump gas i imagine, wonder why it would burn hotter if it has a 100 octane rating? Doesnt make sense.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I'd just get a dedicated fuel system
Old 04-16-2011, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by nate-roth
I always put a few gallons on the no lead race fuel at the track when running nitrous as kind of an insurance policy in case the 93 octane I get at the pump is a little funky or something. The total volume of race gas is never more than 30-40% of total fuel in the car. I have also used C16 leaded race gas as well many times, just keep the ratio heavier towards pump gas.

I also pull 5deg. timing of my n/a tune as well.
I've heard this is not really good to do due to the different flame fronts it creates from the different fuels. Can any of the experts out there confirm this?
Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

go to nitrous outlet and get a dedicated fuel system
Old 04-16-2011, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're concerned about fuel, I would look at a dedicated and run VP MS109. It's unleaded (your O2 sensors will love it), and has a good MON rating. I've run it for a few years on some big shots without any issues.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a friend that ran high 10s with a dedicated fuel system and a 200 shot on a bone stock bottom end LS1 with 243 heads. Tunning is going to be key but there is no question that the dedicated race fuel has a lot of advantages and for 500-800 bucks its cheap insurance.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:55 PM
TECH Resident

Any of you guys from N2O outlet, HSW, NX or any other experts care to comment on running 93 pump in the tank and using something like a c16 in the standalone.

I've heard and seen some pics of different flame front travel of the different fuels. Is this a real issue or just heresay?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Graham@NitrousOutlet

Originally Posted by ThreeHonks
Any of you guys from N2O outlet, HSW, NX or any other experts care to comment on running 93 pump in the tank and using something like a c16 in the standalone.

I've heard and seen some pics of different flame front travel of the different fuels. Is this a real issue or just heresay?
That's how we prefer to set them up in street cars. Chris here runs his like that. When I get my car back together I will run it like that. Even Ray's LT1 was setup like that.

I have never had a problem with it.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

No telling, on my end, plugs never have a issue, several friends run it and never had a problem, maybe N/A it could be a issue on high compression and then a N2O shot? Got to be safer than pump gas i imagine, wonder why it would burn hotter if it has a 100 octane rating? Doesnt make sense.
ive been told it burns hotter because its oxygenated (sp?) for high altitude use. my friend runs it in his high comp. 70 chevelle with no issues though.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 PM
On The Tree

if you think about it, the more BTU's of any type of fuel that you can successfully burn in the combustion chamber, the more power you will make. so the "it burns hot" argument is a little skewed, in my mind, but i am far from an expert or a chemist or a physicist or an engineer. i'm just a mechanic.

edit: wikipedia and google make us all instant experts nowadays and after a bit of reading, that avgas 100LL (low lead) is some good stuff, as long as you don't have oxygen sensors or a catalytic converter.

and the "colliding flame fronts" argument is old hearsay, IMHO.

Last edited by KFZ)^; 05-11-2011 at 11:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 110 Octane...150 shot and stock motor?