Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IAT Tricker mod???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default IAT Tricker mod???

just order my wet plate kit with purge, a micro switch for activation and a window switch. i was looking on methods of pulling timing and was hearing about the iat mod. Did a search and couldnt find much does anyone have a wiring diagram or how to on the mod and how it exactly works
thanks
rob
Old 04-15-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the IAT is simply a resistor that changes values as it heats up or gets colder. The idea is to pick a resistor value that mimics the computers certain temp range and set the timing up in those tables.. Probably the easiest way to do it would be to run a 5 pin relay that you control with a switch to switch off the factory wiring and reroute it through the resistor you installed bypassing the IAT sensor.

Just make sure you arnt running a speed density tune if you mess with the IAT.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also interested in this. Id like to keep full n/a timing and only pull timing when the nitrous hits. Ive seen the diagrams but is it reliable?
Old 04-15-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok this is the wiring diagram i dug up im guessing i can just wire it to my arming switch so when the nitrous is actived its working. Now what resistor should i use i plan on running a 125 shot was planning on pulling 5-6 degrees of timing. After i get the correct resistor i guess i just have the my tuner pull 5-6 degrees on that temp table right?

Old 04-15-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by therobman
ok this is the wiring diagram i dug up im guessing i can just wire it to my arming switch so when the nitrous is actived its working. Now what resistor should i use i plan on running a 125 shot was planning on pulling 5-6 degrees of timing. After i get the correct resistor i guess i just have the my tuner pull 5-6 degrees on that temp table right?
lol beat me to it well here is my 1 minute magic paint creation!!! And yes you can definitely use your arming switch to activate it. thats how i would recommend it so as you dont forget!

Yes you pick the resistor value for the temperature you want and pull the timing from that table. IMO alot of people like to max out the temp at like 250 or something. i think its better to keep it closer to reality around 100 degrees or so.. I just think that a crazy high IAT is going to cause tuning headaches even with a MAF and its impossible to safely trick the IAT if your running speed density like i said before.

I am running speed density and i am considering using the engine coolant sensor to pull timing.. Has less of an effect on tuning.
Attached Thumbnails IAT Tricker mod???-iat-diagram.png  

Last edited by got-a-ls1; 04-15-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks love the picture lol which wire taps in the resistor and which do i cut and tap into the relay. also how do i know what temp value coninsides with the correct resistor
Old 04-15-2011, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

ummm to be honest dont know which wire is + or -, but its only a 2 wire circuit that goes through a resistor so i dont think the polarity will matter at all. Just pick one... thanks for loving my artwork

basically just like the diagram shows (mine is better........ ) you tap into one wire and the other wire you cut and route pin 30 as the diagrams show. Pin 30 is always connected and 87 and 87a are the switched output which you connect the other end to. One way shunts it through the IAT(87a) and the other through your resistor and then just taps into the other wire.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

got it thanks now i just need to find what resistor works for what temp
Old 04-15-2011, 05:35 PM
9 Second Club/Nitrous Mod

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
I am running speed density and i am considering using the engine coolant sensor to pull timing.. Has less of an effect on tuning.
SD here also and the cts (or ect) method will work as well. My tuner made this one, but mine is just the switch without the little box. He has it wired to were the nitrous will NOT work without the timing being pulled:
Old 04-16-2011, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

heres another idea... You could use a potentiometer 0-1000 ohm should be enough and use that to control the resistance and find the corresponding temperature you want and then go buy a resistor with that value..

Quick Reply: IAT Tricker mod???