Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smoking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 04:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Smoking?

I brought a zex wet kit not to long ago. hooked it up on the ls1 third gen everything seemed to be dandy. stock 99 pcm and tune so its only on a 75 shot until i can at least get a tune(only have done 4-5 hits so far).

not to long ago i was driving it pretty hard on some backroads and really pushed it out in second and saw a long trail of "white" smoke following me. i thought i broke a coolant hose again it looked that bad at first so i drive it back home(only a quarter mile away). popped the hook and everything seemed fine and i also noticed it stopped after the engine revved back down. so i got pretty worried as i thought my engine was going. anyways i drove it around a bit more the last week and it drove fine, acted normal besides a little more valve train noise. coming back from school i decided to see if it would happen again and it didnt? both times the car was well enough warmed up. tried it again the next day and i did notice some smoke but it was no where near as bad. noticeable but not something not worry about. this has never happened before the install so im assuming its the nitrous.

i have also changed the oil since and it was very black and watery. no hint of antifreeze in it though. both fluids look normal after the change.
decided to post up together as i got some pictures of the spark plugs since i wanted to check them. there are a/c delcos. (i know)

so im pretty worried about the problem as it happens sometimes and not others. only when i REALLY REALLY push the car i see some smoke come out which now looks faint.
i only checked two plugs. #1 and #5. i wanted to do the otherside but its pretty crowded with all the wiring.

any help would be appreciated on what the cause would be!
and SORRY for such a long freaking post lol, wanted to cover it in one post.
Old 02-05-2012, 09:14 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Do a leak down, make sure it's at temp 1st.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:38 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would worry a bit about the rings and ringlands on your pistons...
the tip on that plug looks like its pretty much gone...
from what I can see on the plug...I think it is the wrong plug to run for a nitous hit

if the oil was "watery" it may be Fuel....which would also point towards a problem with the rings/ringlands

it doesnt matter how "crowded" it is... Just work at it and get the rest of the plugs out to check them...
pull off the coil packs to make some room to work, makes it a lot easier.

Highly suggest you change plugs to a non protruded plug, one step colder than stock(that is heat range 6)
Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Those stock platinum plugs are not good for spraying nitrous on. Looking at number 5, there is a little heat in there trying to get at the plugs. Its missing some of the tip on the porcelain side. You need a colder plug for one and not those Delco's.

If you drove it around for awhile after you did the hit and the oil was still watery, something else might be the factor. The fuel would of evaporated from the heat the motor was creating and the fuel would of been gone out of the oil.

One scenario could be that since you are not pulling timing and when you push the car hard it is maybe and I say a big maybe because you are on a small shot, that it is lifting the head some and you are pushing water. hence the white smoke.

Are you sure it not really "blue" smoke and not white smoke?
Old 02-15-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry I haven't replied in a bit.
I have sinced traded the plugs to some ngks. Haven't sprayed since though. Still smokes during spirited driving to, also think its blueish smoke now kinda darker white blueish or grayish can t tell. It seems to happen quite a bit when I don't really "hot rod" around for a bit and then step on it. Then it wont happen for a bit. As for the head, it might be? If it moved the head, wouldn't it use coolant?
I did a leak down test also on 1,3,5,7.

dry:155, 160, 155, 160 wet:185, 185, 220? Redid it and it came to 185 when I did it instead of brother, 185

seems extremely consistant at least on the drivers side. passenger side will be tomorrow as Im still waiting on some hose to redo my heating lines which are in the way. Doubled check oil today and I haven't really lost any in 500-600 miles. And coolant level hasn't moved at all. So if the passenger side is fine then im stumped.
I did read around more as this really concerns me and I took a cottonswab and swabbed the hose going into my intake and it had a decent amount of black crap in it? Not wet but a nice coating of it.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Also have some pics of driverside plugs in order

and I also took a video of what the normal white, steamy looking smoke coming from the back looks like. Happens when cold, warmed up and after a good 15min ride.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

You can assume & guess forever, until you do a leak down you're just making it worse.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

The smoke you are seeing, does it dissipate rather quickly or does it linger a little then kinda dissipate?

Burning water thru exhaust usually dissipates really fast and it doesn't have much of a smell. Burning oil, the smoke usually stays around a little longer and it has the smell like you are behind a Greyhound Transportation bus.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

It doesn't really smell but it does linger for a sec or so.
Here's a video of it, I thought I put it in the last post but I guess not
http://vid1061.photobucket.com/album...-15-38_175.mp4

Last edited by 88blackiroc; 02-16-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did something similar after using a bottle filled by Checker Auto, They pumped it with mostly air! My motor leaned out during a run and cracked the head, I didnt know the head was cracked until i had it magnafluxed. But it did shoot steam out the exhaust similar to this, If it smell the slightest bit sweet it coolant.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 88blackiroc
It doesn't really smell but it does linger for a sec or so.
Here's a video of it, I thought I put it in the last post but I guess not
http://vid1061.photobucket.com/album...-15-38_175.mp4
I can't play the vid on the work computer. From what you describe it sounds like it water getting in the chamber somehow. If it was oil being burnt you would smell that.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

look at the bright side you still have all of your electrode straps.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

On the bright side its still running! Lol
At idle it doesn't smell like oil more like nothing but it does burn my nose if bury my nose in the tailpipe but im pretty sure that's normal , however when spirted driving happens I can smell some oil. I should be able to finish the leakdown today when my hose comes in.

74nova: that sucks bro. Id be pissed and make them repay me as they should of filled it right
Old 02-16-2012, 01:34 PM
8 Second Club

My leakdown tester measures in percentage, are you sure you're not using a compression tester?
Old 02-16-2012, 03:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just checked and it is a compression tester. Does it matter?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

a leak down tester will tell you if you have a problem and narrow it down to an intake or exhaust valve or a bad piston/ringland. You compression numbers seem to be ok but dont tell me anything more than your compression seems good so more than likely your motor could be ok.

If you are sticking your nose in your exhaust of course it will burn. Does it smell sweet?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't know they did that. I thought a leakdown tested if your piston rings/ringlands were bad. Learn something knew everyday.
nope no hint of a sweet smell.
My hoses also didn't come today so ill have to do the otherside tomorrow.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Launching!

3 plug in pic is a little hot. Is it me or is it missing part of electrode ?
Old 02-16-2012, 07:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Its missing a part? Hmm
Old 02-16-2012, 08:14 PM
Banned

-new plugs (pref. 1 step colder)
-fatten fuel up abit

Quick Reply: Smoking?