Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lingenfelter Timing Retard Boxes

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lingenfelter Timing Retard Boxes

Can two be stacked and used properly for dual stage kits?

For example: One retards the timing 2 degrees for an initial 50-shot, then the second box does an additional 4 degrees for a second stage 100-shot for a total of 6 degrees pulled.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why not just use one box, pulling 6 degrees? The first stage isn't on alone for very long is it?
Old 08-07-2012, 07:03 AM
TECH Regular

I'm thinking of if I want to be able to have a reserve second stage and not having to adjust the box for different shots.

I don't want/need to go full out every run, but it would be nice to have the second stage for "what ifs" in Friday Night Grudge Racing.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If your N/A tune is not on the ragged edge to make every ounce of HP you can get away with around a 100 shot without pulling any timing. I would check the plugs after a half track pass with doing that though.

This way you are only needing to pull timing for the second stage only.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default 2 stages of timing retard

The Lingenfelter timing retard module (LNC-2000) can't be put in combination with another unit to get two stages of timing retard.

You could do one stage or retard via a custom OS calibration (EFILive nitrous/E85 OS) or the IAT resistor trick and then have our module do the second stage (or the opposite and have ours take out the first stage of timing). You can also use the IAT resistor method and have it wired for multiple stages (different stages activate a different or additional set of resistors). As someone else pointed out you could have the first stage of timing retard pulled out in your main tune (2-3 of timing often doesn't hurt power by that much if you have a max spark NA tune).

We do have a ramp rate feature built into our LNC-2000 timing retard module so you could just have one stage of timing retard but use a slow ramp rate so that the first stage of nitrous was during the early part of the ramp and the second stage of nitrous happened when the timing retard had fully ramped in.

If you don't have your nitrous controller yet, our NCC-001 nitrous controller can send a progressive timing retard signal to our LNC-2000 so that you can do progressive timing retard based on the amount of nitrous so you could then have two stages of timing retard.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by WS.666
Can two be stacked and used properly for dual stage kits?

For example: One retards the timing 2 degrees for an initial 50-shot, then the second box does an additional 4 degrees for a second stage 100-shot for a total of 6 degrees pulled.

Last edited by Jason Haines @ LPE; 08-07-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: Added more info
Old 08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
TECH Veteran

So Jason what you are saying is I can piggy back 2 LNC's to retard for each stage?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Multiple LNC modules

No, I am specifically saying you can not put two of our LNC modules in series to do that.

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
So Jason what you are saying is I can piggy back 2 LNC's to retard for each stage?
Old 08-08-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

My bad, I just re-read your post and that was the first line. I need to go back to school or something
Old 08-08-2012, 03:08 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default timing retard

No problem.

Funny thing is we have had the LNC products out for around 5 years and this is the first time anyone has ever asked that questions before. I had to think about it for a little bit.

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
My bad, I just re-read your post and that was the first line. I need to go back to school or something
Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

I posted a HOW TO in here not long ago that covers all of the details on how to make one of those IAT spark retard boxes. It covered how to set it up for multiple levels of timing retard. It wouldn't be hard at all to set it up to be able to switch between different resistances while being activated by the different circuits controlling the stages of nitrous. You would basically have to add two more 5 pin relays and the additional wiring. It would cost you a total of about $50 and doesn't take long to make or install if you are familiar with DC wiring. The IAT tables in your tune would have to be modified to correlate but that is all of a 5 minute job for anyone familiar with HPT or other tuning software.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by rocket5979
I posted a HOW TO in here not long ago that covers all of the details on how to make one of those IAT spark retard boxes. It covered how to set it up for multiple levels of timing retard. It wouldn't be hard at all to set it up to be able to switch between different resistances while being activated by the different circuits controlling the stages of nitrous. You would basically have to add two more 5 pin relays and the additional wiring. It would cost you a total of about $50 and doesn't take long to make or install if you are familiar with DC wiring. The IAT tables in your tune would have to be modified to correlate but that is all of a 5 minute job for anyone familiar with HPT or other tuning software.
I saw that thread...I just posted in it.

Quick Reply: Lingenfelter Timing Retard Boxes