Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moving Into The Nitrous World....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving Into The Nitrous World....

Hey guys, after a lot of thought, reading, and searching around - I decided I want to make the move into the Nitrous world with my Vette. Right now, I'm just running a H/C/I setup on her and everything has been going well. I originally was going to go the supercharged route and pick up an A&A Intercooled V3-Si Trim but... I decided I'd like to instead run a 100-150 shot on top of my H/C/I setup and put the extra cash in savings to start building a forged 383 in the future.

This is the setup I'm thinking about going for:

-Brand X LSX EFI Single Nozzle System
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...3&product=2891

-Brand X Stage 2 Accessory Kit
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...6&product=3604

-Remote Bottle Opener
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...9&product=3552

-NOS 2 Stage Window Switch
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...2&product=4488

-C5 Corvette Switch Panel
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...8&product=3459

-Racetronix LPE Fuel Pump Setup
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.a...PA-005&eq=&Tp=

-Racetronix Pump Wiring Harness Upgrade
http://www.racetronix.biz/itemdesc.asp?ic=FPWH-007&Tp=

I'd like to run a 100-150 shot through my H/C/I setup. The stock bottom end should easily handle that on a good tune. And I think that will keep me content while I'm saving up for that Forged 383 . Once I get that bottom end finished, I'll most likely upgrade the setup to possibly a plate system and I'll also pick up a boost-a-pump and up it to a 200 shot . In reality, it'll probably take me a couple years to get everything together for the motor so the 150 shot should be fun for a while.

What do you guys think?
Old 08-22-2012, 01:12 AM

You will be fine with upgrade to fuel system. I would start right off the bat with a plate system. I get much more even plug readings & egrs with a plate versus nozzel in inlet tubes. Plus there is always the chance the nut loosens a little & the thing twist a slight bit & causes cylinder to cylinder issues. I have installed many many kits on h/c/i cars on 175-200. With the right fuel system & spark plug you'll be fine. That IRS with the right drag radial might be another story...... Nitrous is a Much better route to go then the over priced super charger. Fisrt off its much cheaper. Second more power. Thirdly your using it for seconds. That blower is On ALL the time building heat under the hood cooking stuff. And to build 200hp worth of boost its gonna rob 40+ hp to spin it..... Then its hot as hell & crying for a huge air to air. Just my 2 cents. I have been playing with the bottle for 15+ years now & Never blown anything up yet..... Other than a couple trannys in the rental cars. In them we don't even use solenoids just the passenger open & closing the bottle.
Old 08-22-2012, 03:12 AM
11 Second Club

I have to agree with getting the plate kit right away. Better all around. Spend the money one time instead of buying the single nozzle and then the plate kit later. The rest sounds pretty good.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes get a plate. Can i suggest skipping the 382 and go at least to a ls2 402. I really dislike the larger crank small bore of a 382.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BottleBoy1
You will be fine with upgrade to fuel system. I would start right off the bat with a plate system. I get much more even plug readings & egrs with a plate versus nozzel in inlet tubes. Plus there is always the chance the nut loosens a little & the thing twist a slight bit & causes cylinder to cylinder issues. I have installed many many kits on h/c/i cars on 175-200. With the right fuel system & spark plug you'll be fine. That IRS with the right drag radial might be another story...... Nitrous is a Much better route to go then the over priced super charger. Fisrt off its much cheaper. Second more power. Thirdly your using it for seconds. That blower is On ALL the time building heat under the hood cooking stuff. And to build 200hp worth of boost its gonna rob 40+ hp to spin it..... Then its hot as hell & crying for a huge air to air. Just my 2 cents. I have been playing with the bottle for 15+ years now & Never blown anything up yet..... Other than a couple trannys in the rental cars. In them we don't even use solenoids just the passenger open & closing the bottle.
Definitely - which is the reason I decided to go the nitrous route instead. I was thinking about going with the Plate setup right off the bat but I figured with a smaller shot (100-150) the nozzle would do fine. I'll admit - I have full plans of going with a plate kit in the end so you are right - it would make more sense to do it in the first place. It's a little extra on the cost (~$400) but it's best to do it right the first time.

Originally Posted by josh2002-ws6
I have to agree with getting the plate kit right away. Better all around. Spend the money one time instead of buying the single nozzle and then the plate kit later. The rest sounds pretty good.
Thanks for the input - It looks like the plate kit is what it will be

Originally Posted by Dynospeed
Yes get a plate. Can i suggest skipping the 382 and go at least to a ls2 402. I really dislike the larger crank small bore of a 382.
The 402 was in the running line as far as decision making. To be honest I haven't completely pulled the trigger on the 383 but I was leaning more towards it. Before I make a decision, I'm going to have to reassess how I want everything to end up, and like I said that will be in a couple years so I have time to think.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:12 PM
Chris@NitroDaves

With you doing the Racetronix setup there is no need to get the boost-a-pump because with the RX setup you'll have fueling capable of around 650rwhp. As stated above especially if you plan on going to 200hp and maybe more later down the rd then i'd suggest getting a plate system. Everything you have listed will get you a very good setup that comes with all major safety and accessory items.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
With you doing the Racetronix setup there is no need to get the boost-a-pump because with the RX setup you'll have fueling capable of around 650rwhp. As stated above especially if you plan on going to 200hp and maybe more later down the rd then i'd suggest getting a plate system. Everything you have listed will get you a very good setup that comes with all major safety and accessory items.
As Chris said there is no need for a boost a pump.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know we are all nitrous guys here but me personally if I already had the blower, it would be going on my car. I wouldn't even look back at a nitrous system. No bottle refills, power there all the time, and since you have a c5 not having to worry about mounting the bottle and taking up the little room you do have in the back of the vette.

Nitrous is cheap initially but there is the price of refills and plugs. Nitrous is not getting any cheaper either.

Also I would do bigger than 383. It opens you up to more head choices when you go with a 4.00 bore.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Chris@NitroDaves
Yep - the racetronix setup is pretty decent. I was only planning on doing the boost a pump if I ever up'd the shot to 200+; But initially you're right I don't need it. I actually have a couple questions so I shot you a PM. Thanks man.

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
As Chris said there is no need for a boost a pump.
Thanks for the input man

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I know we are all nitrous guys here but me personally if I already had the blower, it would be going on my car. I wouldn't even look back at a nitrous system. No bottle refills, power there all the time, and since you have a c5 not having to worry about mounting the bottle and taking up the little room you do have in the back of the vette.

Nitrous is cheap initially but there is the price of refills and plugs. Nitrous is not getting any cheaper either.

Also I would do bigger than 383. It opens you up to more head choices when you go with a 4.00 bore.
Blowers are definitely nice. I have a decent setup on my Cobra (Novi 2000) and it's a lot of fun. Power on tap all the time is nice and boost is addicting. I've been with superchargers (roots, twin screw, and centris) for a little while on Mustangs and LSx cars.

Nitrous is something that has always interested me which is why I want to try going that route for a while. The main reason is so I can put the cash I save over buying a blower setup towards a new engine. In the end, it's hard to say. I may keep running nitrous only or I may even end up surpercharging and running nitrous together . The main thing is - I want to explore a different route with the Vette and see what this side of the world is like.

As for the bigger engine - slowly I'm starting to move away from the 383 I have in my mind. I have a little time to think so when I make a decision I'll let you guys know