Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Assistance Reading Nitrous Spark Plugs (first timer)

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Assistance Reading Nitrous Spark Plugs (first timer)

Hello everyone. I am a newbie to nitrous and have tried to do as much research as possible on this forum and a few other forums such as yellow bullet. Right now I am running a 2000 Z28 LS1 M6 with a torquer v2 and supporting bolt on modifications (LT's, LS6 intake, racetronix fuel pump etc.). Additionally I am running a Nitrous Outlet 78mm plate, using an LNC2000 to pull timing, MSD digital window switch, etc. I am just getting into the tuning aspects of the system and am requesting a bit of assistance as I really only have basic knowledge of plug reading.

Made a hit last night on a 150 shot (62 N2O 33 Fuel) with 7 degrees of timing pulled. Window switch sprays from 4200-6300. The plugs had almost zero idle time on them... Basically swapped new plugs on a warm motor, turned it on and made a 1st-3rd gear pull. The motor was shut off right after the pull. I realize that this pull was likely not long enough to get a fuel ring on the porcelain but have read that a short 1/8th mile pull (or so) is a good place to start before loading the motor up on a high gear pass.

Anyways here are some photos. From what I can see it looks like I should probably back the timing off 1 degree and it looks like it may be a little lean judging from the base of the plug. I have researched and most guys like the base of the plug to have around 3/4 of a full turn of color. Again, I am a newbie and am looking for any advice possible from those that have experience reading and tuning with spark plug readings.

I am posting pictures in pairs. Meaning there are two pictures for each spark plug (pulled 5 plugs).

Name:  photo_2_zps1f602904.jpg
Views: 3779
Size:  19.7 KB
Name:  photo_3_zpsef09bfe0.jpg
Views: 3171
Size:  21.4 KB
Name:  photo_4_zpsbb993795.jpg
Views: 3972
Size:  21.3 KB
Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

Name:  photo_21_zps97badc03.jpg
Views: 3251
Size:  24.7 KB
Name:  photo_31_zpsf3ff2ed3.jpg
Views: 2891
Size:  23.3 KB
Name:  photo_41_zps884dbe13.jpg
Views: 3339
Size:  23.9 KB
Name:  photo_12_zpse66e3242.jpg
Views: 2901
Size:  23.1 KB
Old 06-18-2013, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

Name:  photo_22_zps3eaebc7c.jpg
Views: 2934
Size:  23.2 KB
Name:  photo_32_zps44e5cf4a.jpg
Views: 2832
Size:  21.8 KB

The last one plug I cut the threads off just to see what the base of the porcelain looks like. Just as most would say there is no fuel ring there. I would guess this is due to the fact that the pull wasn't long enough or under enough load? Thank you everyone very much for your help. It is very much appreciated.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:03 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are safe on timing, and looks like it needs more fuel. I would make a full pull and see how it looks.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:51 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 03supercobra
You are safe on timing, and looks like it needs more fuel. I would make a full pull and see how it looks.
Agreed.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 PM
TECH Regular

I will move up to a 35 fuel jet (from the 33 jet) and make a full pass. Just a few more questions. I was under the impression that the timing is a little too aggressive if the timing mark is past the bend? Especially on a run that was not under full load (1/8th mile).

My second question is how much idle time is too much? I am fortunate enough to have a track near my residence but there is no way I can make a full pass and cut the key at the stripe. I have to at least make it to the return road, and I can push/tow it from there. I would say it would take about 10 seconds to get from the stripe to where I can cut the key. Is this too much idle time to read the plugs? Putting in fresh plugs just before the run shouldn't be much of an issue. Thank you everyone for the help. Truly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So the exit to the return road is that far that you cant throw it in neutral and cut the key from 100+ mph?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:02 PM
9 Second Club

There is not enough heat/time in those plugs to really learn anything from it. Make a full pull and go from there. It may be a tad lean but I would wait to see until you have a full pull as Im not certain on that. But definitely no heat right now
Old 06-20-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
So the exit to the return road is that far that you cant throw it in neutral and cut the key from 100+ mph?
It's a fairly sharp turn to get off the track and I can't really take that with any speed. Plus I don't think it's a good idea to bomb off the track at 80mph to get to the return road. I think we are only supposed to be going 15mph when getting off the track.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by camscam02
There is not enough heat/time in those plugs to really learn anything from it. Make a full pull and go from there. It may be a tad lean but I would wait to see until you have a full pull as Im not certain on that. But definitely no heat right now
I was figuring on not having enough time on these plugs. I will do what I can to make a full pass and see what the plugs look like. What does everyone think about using a superflow dyno to make full 4th gear pulls?

Cam, I actually tuned my car at motor machine about 2 years ago and met your father. If I use a dyno to tune the car on bottle it will be at motor machine again.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
I was figuring on not having enough time on these plugs. I will do what I can to make a full pass and see what the plugs look like. What does everyone think about using a superflow dyno to make full 4th gear pulls?

Cam, I actually tuned my car at motor machine about 2 years ago and met your father. If I use a dyno to tune the car on bottle it will be at motor machine again.
Thats great to hear. I really wouldnt do it on the dyno though as the loading is different. Any chance of getting to Sac on a wednesday night by chance? Put plugs in drive up to the lanes, make a pull and coast back to the pits?

Just keep posting pics on here as you and we will continue to help as we can
Old 06-20-2013, 01:49 PM
9 Second Club

It's a fairly sharp turn to get off the track and I can't really take that with any speed. Plus I don't think it's a good idea to bomb off the track at 80mph to get to the return road. I think we are only supposed to be going 15mph when getting off the track.
you can do it at Sac, there are 3 return roads, you can easily coast off the second and pull over there or go all the way down to the 3rd end exit.
Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Thats great to hear. I really wouldnt do it on the dyno though as the loading is different. Any chance of getting to Sac on a wednesday night by chance? Put plugs in drive up to the lanes, make a pull and coast back to the pits?

Just keep posting pics on here as you and we will continue to help as we can
Your father as well as the others that work at motor machine were very helpful and friendly. I enjoyed having my vehicle tuned and dynod there.

I normally go to sac raceway on Saturdays but I may just go there on a Wednesday night. I never thought bout going to the last exit and coasting. I always take the second exit to the return road. Totally forgot about that last exit down at the end. Cam, are you ever at Sac raceway by chance? I really appreciate the help everyone.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:07 PM
9 Second Club

Your father as well as the others that work at motor machine were very helpful and friendly. I enjoyed having my vehicle tuned and dynod there.

I normally go to sac raceway on Saturdays but I may just go there on a Wednesday night. I never thought bout going to the last exit and coasting. I always take the second exit to the return road. Totally forgot about that last exit down at the end. Cam, are you ever at Sac raceway by chance? I really appreciate the help everyone.
My pops is not there anymore but Im glad you had a enjoyable experience. Im assuming Mark Romans did the tuning?

Yea weds would be cheap and able to get you some plug reading and progress. I will actually be back in Sac for about 2 weeks here starting like July 1 or so.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

^^^There you go. Hit the 3rd exit and get some heat in them plugs. Report back.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Regular

My pops is not there anymore but Im glad you had a enjoyable experience. Im assuming Mark Romans did the tuning?

Yea weds would be cheap and able to get you some plug reading and progress. I will actually be back in Sac for about 2 weeks here starting like July 1 or so.
Romans did do the tuning. Great guy. Very knowledgeable and has never got impatient with my questions. I actually just talked to Mark a few weeks ago when he did a tune on a local C6.

I'm thinking I'll make a pass this coming Wednesday night and see how that goes. I'm going to try to get a few people together to help push the car, hold flashlights etc. Any plans to hit the track while your back in Sacramento? Thank you again for the help.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
^^^There you go. Hit the 3rd exit and get some heat in them plugs. Report back.
Will do. I appreciate the helping hand.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:52 PM
9 Second Club

Romans did do the tuning. Great guy. Very knowledgeable and has never got impatient with my questions. I actually just talked to Mark a few weeks ago when he did a tune on a local C6.

I'm thinking I'll make a pass this coming Wednesday night and see how that goes. I'm going to try to get a few people together to help push the car, hold flashlights etc. Any plans to hit the track while your back in Sacramento? Thank you again for the help.
Yes Mark is a good friend and we wouldn't be where we are at without his help and knowledge. Great guy and very intelligent.

We hurt our motor back in like April, we are working on getting it back together but will not be ready for a couple months due to money reasons. But we will be back with hopefully a low 5 second 1/8 mile motor here real soon! Good Luck sir, pm me if you need anything
Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I honestly see no heat on the strap. Very little to no coloring. I wouldn't worry about the fuel ring yet as there isn't enough heat from what I can see that the light to no fuel ring would cause me to worry about.

Needs a longer pass really.
Old 06-25-2013, 11:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I honestly see no heat on the strap. Very little to no coloring. I wouldn't worry about the fuel ring yet as there isn't enough heat from what I can see that the light to no fuel ring would cause me to worry about.

Needs a longer pass really.
Will do. I am actually going to make a full 1/4 mile pass tomorrow night. Thank you for your input.

I was hoping that the short 1st-3rd gear pass would be able to tell me a little something and give me a base line before I do a full on pass. I was reading on yellowbullet that a bunch of guys like to run 1/8 mile for their base run before they do a full 1/4 mile run. I'm guessing that since the yellowbullet guys are probably making a good bit more power than me they can get color on their plugs from such a short run. Thank you again everyone. Very much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Assistance Reading Nitrous Spark Plugs (first timer)