Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dry nitrous on a mustang

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dry nitrous on a mustang

I saw this guy out at the track last night who had his dry nitrous kit plumbed into his intake after his maf. I'm pretty sure this is stupid, but I was wondering if mustangs had a set-up that would raise the fuel preassure when spraying so you wouldn't have to put it in front of the maf. The car didn't grenade, but it did have a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust. Thanks Brian
Old 05-14-2004, 09:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a mustang dry kit the nozzle goes about 3 to 4 inches before the throttle body.The kits come with a fuel management set up that is ran off of vacume.Its a little diffrent than the LS1s.
Dave
Old 05-14-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

almost every other dry kit, other than the LS1 runs that method, they use a "nos blue thingy" as the techs at NOS like to call it, (fuel pressure booster) is what it really is

pressure will jump from like 38 at wot to 60-80psi depending on the settings. (mustang numbers)

the ls1 is just unique, as there is no vac referenced regulator, or rail mounted regulator do that with, and the computer is fast enough to use the maf for fueling needs.

Ryan
Old 05-14-2004, 12:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my bud has a dry kit on his mustang. his stang is a 87 with stock heads,cam and intake and it went 13.6 on motor and 12.9 on a 100 shot. he has no white smoke from the car.
Old 05-16-2004, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

I see thanks for the info I appreciate it. I'm glad I didn't say anything to the guy about it.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:52 AM
Staging Lane

that blue thingy is called a nitrous management unit, similar to a fuel management unit on a turbo or blower car, when you hit the nitrous it cuts off vacume to the regulator in return bumping the fuel pressure higher. some cars will blow white smoke and others black. that is because of where they have there initial fuel pressure set at. those kits were designed for stock cars with stock non adjustable regulators. with someone who bumps there fuel pressure up youll notice the car runs fatter while spraying and thats why those kits work better on a stock car than a modified car. i love the dry kits on my old stangs but they were performance limited. on a 150 dry shot i ran a 12.02 average on spray and also ran a best of 12.02 on motor, seemed to not really work well. when i switched to my nx kit i sprayed a 100 shot and ran an 11.39 first time out. anyway, getting off the subject. that ble part is a nitrous management unit. depending on who you talk to at NOS systems theyll call it differant names with most of the guys not knowing anything. the smart guys now work for edelbrock hence ededlbrock now has a dry kit. same system differant company.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

It doesn't actually cut off vacuum, at WOT there is no vacuum. It actually sends a portion of the nitrous through the fuel pressure regulator, like a boosted car's FMU would do. This added pressure from the nitrous charge bumps up the fuel pressure.

Using a mechanical method to reglulate fuel pressure is not ideal IMO. I had FMU's on my turbo Civic and supercharged Integra (Yes I am an import convert) and it never worked as well as I liked it. On the integra I used DSM injectors, which are much larger than stock, and used a piggy back computer to alter the MAP signal and it worked much better.

The reason they use the FMU on the Mustang and other cars is they are speed density systems rather than MAF. I suppose a non-FMU dry kit would work on the 89+ mustangs which are MAF.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

not well, the mustang mafs and comptuer won't compensate 100% for the nitrous.

you could do it, but i don't reccomend it

the reason they use the fmu setup is cause the stock injectors won't handle the n20 requirements at normal fuel pressure levels, 19# injectors, and 38-40psi of fuel pressure.

yuor 100000% correct about mechanical fuel means... not so much as mechanical is bad, but FMU, or any other fuel pressure altering trick, is ghetto tuning, and as the name implies is not the right way of doing it.

Ryan.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

19# injectors @ 40 PSI?!? How do they get any horsepower out of those things without changing injectors?
Old 05-21-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

thats why 24# injectors are a very common mod for 5.0's

Ryan.