Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Methanol injection with nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 07:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Methanol injection with nitrous?

Can't find any remotely recent threads on this... Was just kind of curious if anyone is running meth with their set up? I'm wanting to stay on the same size jet I'm at but be able to run more timing to get some gains so I got kind of curious about this. The threads I can find list several pros to using, but what are the cons? It sounds almost too good to be true based on other threads I've looked at but if it was so great I figure more people would be using it with their nitrous set ups.... So what's the catch?

I've been planning on getting a standalone to put e85 in but then came across a meth kit sold by nitrous express that happens to be almost 1/2 the cost of a universal standalone fuel kit and almost 1/3 the cost of a standalone unit made for my car.... So there's quite a cost incentive there. Would it be a safe and efficient to run meth injection to be able to add more timing or should I spend the extra money on a standalone fuel system for e85? From what I've seen meth would allow me to spray with little or no timing pulled and get big gains and that's all there is to it... But like I said there has to be a catch, otherwise everyone would be using it. Just wanting the pros and cons and to be educated.
Old 11-24-2015, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm looking to go this route as well. Once tuned for I see no downside. You'll be able to add more timing on the nitrous without fear of detonation. I'm looking at a kit from AEM. It has a built in fail safe and is only around $400
Old 11-24-2015, 08:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I'm looking to go this route as well. Once tuned for I see no downside. You'll be able to add more timing on the nitrous without fear of detonation. I'm looking at a kit from AEM. It has a built in fail safe and is only around $400
Yeah I'm thinking there has to be at least one downside to it but have yet to find one. Especially if they are making kits with fail safes built in and stuff. It's affordable, safe, and effective. I just don't get why more people aren't using it.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Obviously it's big with the forced induction crowd, but most n/a don't benefit much if they can't advance the timing and make more power doing so. In my particular case my car wants more timing and makes more power with it, but I get knock on 93 pump gas alone. My tuner and I ran a few tanks of E85 and added 4 degrees timing and noticed a big improvement with no knock. Meth should do the same thing. We didn't try it on nitrous but I'm willing to bet the results would be even better.

This is the 1st time seeing this NX meth kit. I'm liking what I see so far. Do you know much about it?
Old 11-24-2015, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Obviously it's big with the forced induction crowd, but most n/a don't benefit much if they can't advance the timing and make more power doing so. In my particular case my car wants more timing and makes more power with it, but I get knock on 93 pump gas alone. My tuner and I ran a few tanks of E85 and added 4 degrees timing and noticed a big improvement with no knock. Meth should do the same thing. We didn't try it on nitrous but I'm willing to bet the results would be even better.

This is the 1st time seeing this NX meth kit. I'm liking what I see so far. Do you know much about it?
Don't know much about it I was just browsing their website and came across it and it sparked my interest. Theres also a company called Snow Performance that makes kits as well that seem to be pretty popular with the boost guys. I dont know how much difference there is in quality or features between these kits. The AEM kit is the only one I see a fail safe mentioned though. Thats one concern I would have. If I'm spraying a 150 shot with little or no timing pulled and the meth pump fails and I don't have a way of knowing it, then I could end up killing my engine. I have the same problem with getting a little bit of knock on 93 alone so I'm looking to eliminate that and at the same time be able to add even more timing to gain some power as well.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yep I've researched them all lol. You got me curious on this NX kit now. So I take it your ride is the bolt on 2015 SS with nitrous? What kind on knock issues are you having?
Old 11-24-2015, 09:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

It's an excellent idea, I've been preaching it for years. I even have a cheap windshield washer kit on my daily N/A Maxima. We used to just stack nitrous plates in the old days, and put about a .030 jet in the bottom plate with a pump from Northern Tool....worked like a charm, and could allow aggressive square or leaner tune ups. No drawbacks that I've ever encountered.
Old 11-25-2015, 03:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Even if you don't advance the timing I've heard that you'll gain 5-10 hp from the octane enhancement alone. What's nice about it is that that your car will be much more consistant since it won't suffer nearly as much on a hotter day due to the cooling effect
Old 11-25-2015, 05:08 AM
TECH Resident

Yep I've researched them all lol. You got me curious on this NX kit now. So I take it your ride is the bolt on 2015 SS with nitrous? What kind on knock issues are you having?
Just on the initial hit I get about 3-4 degrees usually. It's only on the hit and is gone in an instant. Thats with 6 degrees pulled. Even with 7 degrees pulled I still get 2 degrees of KR on the initial hit. I made another thread about it that I think you responded to. No one told me if it was unsafe or not. But either way if theres a way I can eliminate it and gain power at the same time I'm all for it.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yep I remember your setup now. I'm willing to bet that the meth will eliminate that issue since it's very minor. Mine actually goes pretty lean on the initial hit (about 13.5 for a few hundred rpm) but tapers back down and has no detected knock. Whichever kit I choose I'd get it with some sort of fail safe.

Do you get KR no matter when it sprays or is it aways at the same rpm?
Old 11-25-2015, 11:49 AM
TECH Resident

Yep I remember your setup now. I'm willing to bet that the meth will eliminate that issue since it's very minor. Mine actually goes pretty lean on the initial hit (about 13.5 for a few hundred rpm) but tapers back down and has no detected knock. Whichever kit I choose I'd get it with some sort of fail safe.

Do you get KR no matter when it sprays or is it aways at the same rpm?
No I get the KR on spray regardless of the rpm. If I go WOT before hitting the RPM window I still get that brief moment of knock when the nitrous kicks in. Or if I punch it when already in the RPM window (say 4k rpm) I still get the same thing.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's not totally uncommon for this to happen when nitrous is first injected. Nice thing about meth or E85 is that it makes a great bandaid for smaller issues such as this
Old 11-25-2015, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The more the meth content, the tuneup starts changing. I always run zero degree windshield washer fluid, only.

I do not believe it adds any power without the ignition being advanced, but it does keep from having to buy extra pistons.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

I really see no downside to this as long as the tune is very good. Worst case scenario the system fails but the good kits have built in fail safes, and the tune will simply not allow the extra timing if there is a failure, so it just runs like it did before the meth injection
Old 11-26-2015, 07:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WTF?
The more the meth content, the tuneup starts changing. I always run zero degree windshield washer fluid, only.

I do not believe it adds any power without the ignition being advanced, but it does keep from having to buy extra pistons.
The gains would come from pulling less timing only while the nitrous is spraying. I wouldn't advance timing to try to get gains on motor.

So no one else in the forum has any input on this? Any sponsors that sell meth kits have any insight? This is what kind of throws me off.... If it was so great why is it so hard to get peoples feedback on it. It seems that simply no one is using it but for what reason? Still waiting for someone to chime in and tell us what the big downfall is to using this stuff with n2o.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

I'm curious why it's not a little more popular too.
Old 11-26-2015, 10:37 PM
On The Tree

Not on an LS, but I run w/m with nitrous on a 350z. I use 75/25 w/m ratio with a 2gph nozzle. My jets are 57N, 24F and my afrs are around 11.5-11.8. On initial activation, afr is around 12.5. I am running full timing with no timing retard. On initial activation, timing is 23 then goes to 27, which is full timing on a 350z.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone else have any feedback or experiences to share?

Any particular kits I should choose over others? Any particular parts or features I should look for in a kit?

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 11-27-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 08:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

From my research and findings Alky Controls seems to be the most favored but it's also very expensive.
Old 12-01-2015, 11:33 AM
FormerVendor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Look at all of the high powerd nitrous(nitrous only) cars out there....some run water injection. Most don't. This water/meth deal is just something for companies to sell you. Just buy a stand alone fuel system and put some good fuel in it.

Quick Reply: Methanol injection with nitrous?