Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NX Fire & Ice, Bottle Prob Solved?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default NX Fire & Ice, Bottle Prob Solved?

Here's a link to a problem I am having. If the NX guys in the know would read through and see what you think. Maybe a fire and ice heater is all I need? Some bull posts but read all way to the end if you have the time. Thanks.
Bottle problem
Robert
Old 08-22-2005, 12:37 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
Here's a link to a problem I am having. If the NX guys in the know would read through and see what you think. Maybe a fire and ice heater is all I need? Some bull posts but read all way to the end if you have the time. Thanks.
Bottle problem
Robert
Robert I read thou got a little lost. So I need some clairifaction... You are only getting 6-8 lbs of useable nitrous out of a 15lb bottle? And you notice your purge is not as large in the middle of the day as in the cool morning?

I will need to know what pressure your system is at, how large of a shot total you are using and how fast the car is in the 1/4 mile, or 1/8 mile...
I have an interesting side view of this but I will need to wait.

Ricky
Old 08-22-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Ok, it seems that when cold, purge works fine, and pressure comes upto 1050psi yesterday, bottle heater brought it up fine, from about 800psi. Now the day before, I couldn't get press, after awhile past the 600/800 range ( sun had heated it upto 1400psi at one point) and purge was putting basically nothing out, except a sporadic n2o spray every now and then after a very long purge. Then wait a minute or two and purge takes another long time to get anything. Now I based my 6/8 pounds on only heating to 800 or so psi, but the following day it heated to 1050psi. With a full bottle and the 95* thermastats I use bottle pressure is 1150/1170. My jetting is for (that day)150 rwhp, but that's a rating with 950psi, so with higher pressure it is more (I'd have to look at my notes if you want it closer). System wasn't working because of a wiring issue (noids not engaging). I really haven't got a good pass yet at this level so I can't give a time, other than a 50 shot I went 11.70 last wed (been having other problems also, install error ). Hope this isn't just rambling,as there is probably more than one thing going on here.
Robert
Old 08-22-2005, 01:50 PM

Ok, it seems that when cold, purge works fine, and pressure comes upto 1050psi yesterday, bottle heater brought it up fine, from about 800psi. Now the day before, I couldn't get press, after awhile past the 600/800 range ( sun had heated it upto 1400psi at one point) and purge was putting basically nothing out, except a sporadic n2o spray every now and then after a very long purge. Then wait a minute or two and purge takes another long time to get anything. Now I based my 6/8 pounds on only heating to 800 or so psi, but the following day it heated to 1050psi. With a full bottle and the 95* thermastats I use bottle pressure is 1150/1170. My jetting is for (that day)150 rwhp, but that's a rating with 950psi, so with higher pressure it is more (I'd have to look at my notes if you want it closer). System wasn't working because of a wiring issue (noids not engaging). I really haven't got a good pass yet at this level so I can't give a time, other than a 50 shot I went 11.70 last wed (been having other problems also, install error ). Hope this isn't just rambling,as there is probably more than one thing going on here.
Robert
On a cold day you should see a better purge then on a hot, really any time there is more moisture in the air the better the purge will look. What you are seeing is frooze water vapor..
On the day before was it colder at night or hotter... 600 psi should have been a nice cool night, or low bottle.
1400psi the nitrous inside your bottle is in a vapor or gaseous form.. Nitrous once past 1150 your are moving vapor not liquid. So the bottle has to pressure down ie. cool off, and then the vapor turn back into a liquid..
Lower bottle levels take longer to get the pressure up in the bottle, more room for it to expand.

No rambling just confusing. So you are most conserned about the purge quality?

Now to at the side view.... EVer time you get a bottle filled that has some nitrous in the bottle you keep raising your chances on getting non usable nitrous. I have had several conversation with racers across the states with the same problem.. Just got my bottle filled and it does not perfrom.. I here air coming out but no nitrous,( an this on very humid days ). After empting the bottle and a fresh pull all works fine.. even on the same day same mother bottle why... The vapor in side the bottle has weight but is not useable nitrous... Just my .02 cents...
Ricky
Old 08-22-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

So, if I am past the getting air in my fills, will the Fire and Ice keep my bottle pressure stable. If so, what kind of amp draw will this have on a battery? It will also maintain a set pressure within 5psi, whether it gets hot or cold, correct?

The day I am talking about it purged ok, I think, in the morning and heater brought it upto psi at first. Then in the sun it rose to 1400psi, then later after letting it cool down it went to 600/800 and I couldn't get the press back up. All this time high/low press purge seemed to not work as it should. Maybe at high pressure it was vapor, so that explains that area. Now at the low pressure shouldn't it still purge a small cloud in shade, temps in mid 70's, as it did this morning before heating?

To be honest, I think I have a passel of issues all at once, for a while. bad fills, over pressures and now I found a wiring glitch that may have kept heater from working sometimes. Even so, I need to maintain a constant pressure through out the day to be consistant= Fire & Ice.
Thanks Ricky.
Robert
Old 08-22-2005, 03:38 PM

So, if I am past the getting air in my fills, will the Fire and Ice keep my bottle pressure stable. If so, what kind of amp draw will this have on a battery? It will also maintain a set pressure within 5psi, whether it gets hot or cold, correct?

The day I am talking about it purged ok, I think, in the morning and heater brought it upto psi at first. Then in the sun it rose to 1400psi, then later after letting it cool down it went to 600/800 and I couldn't get the press back up. All this time high/low press purge seemed to not work as it should. Maybe at high pressure it was vapor, so that explains that area. Now at the low pressure shouldn't it still purge a small cloud in shade, temps in mid 70's, as it did this morning before heating?

To be honest, I think I have a passel of issues all at once, for a while. bad fills, over pressures and now I found a wiring glitch that may have kept heater from working sometimes. Even so, I need to maintain a constant pressure through out the day to be consistant= Fire & Ice.
Thanks Ricky.
Robert
Fire and ice draws 7amps... It will maintain the bottle psi with 5psi BUT only if the temp around the bottle is not so extreme that the unit can not compensate for it... So in a black car in middle of summer on a hot day, you would need the fire and ice and a insulated blanket...
Ricky
Old 08-22-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am not trying to pick this apart, but 7 amps seems like it would take a while to get upto temp, compared to the 12/15 amp heaters? However, with this lower amp draw, you could leave the heater on for a more extended period while waiting for class/run to be called. Is this heater slower than a normal heater? Can you just leave it on to maintain the within 5psi setting, all day, because it seems once upto temp it won't take long to bring it back once it is out of range (more than 5 psi out?). This is the main reason the guys don't want to run n2o in our local Car Club Series, inconsistant runs.
Robert
Old 08-22-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Robert, sounds to me like you have several problems at the same time. What position do you have the bottle mounted in? Is the pick up tube in the bottle loose, would explain the pressure problem? Pick the bottle up and shake it, if the tube is loose you'll hear it rattle. Are you using a N20 filter, could be clogged? Check your fittings for security, sounds like your bleeding off bottle pressure somewhere. Not to knock NX but their bottle heaters aren't the best, you might try the hot air or hot water type, they heat better and maintain the pressure better.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Robert, sounds to me like you have several problems at the same time. What position do you have the bottle mounted in? Is the pick up tube in the bottle loose, would explain the pressure problem? Pick the bottle up and shake it, if the tube is loose you'll hear it rattle. Are you using a N20 filter, could be clogged? Check your fittings for security, sounds like your bleeding off bottle pressure somewhere. Not to knock NX but their bottle heaters aren't the best, you might try the hot air or hot water type, they heat better and maintain the pressure better.
I have bubble sprayed all connections and fittings, found one tiny leak under pressure, don't think it's the problem though. I did shake my bottle pretty good this last fill up and heard nothing. N2o filter is a cheap screen type and will be checking it tomorrow, but sometimes it's fine, so seems a clogged filter would be a problem at all times? I am currently using a standard NX heater (240 watts), but have heard good things about the Fire and Ice heater/cooler. Had a NOS heater (300 watts) before and it was quicker for sure. You have have any links to options on the heaters you suggested. Thanks.
Robert
Here's how it's mounted (no noid now, and has a blanket):
Old 08-23-2005, 08:43 AM

I see the problem its a BLUE bottle that explains it.. Just kidding Robert.. The 7 amps is in a smaller area so it get nice and warmmmmm...I would not leave it on all day..
Ricky
Old 08-23-2005, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Speaking of the fire and ice, when are you guys going to start selling bottle blankets that will work with it?