Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys hittin 300+ horsepower shots of nitrous, got a few ?'s....

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guys hittin 300+ horsepower shots of nitrous, got a few ?'s....

I'm puttin together the second stage tomorrow and am supposed to be gettin the car tuned on friday morning on both kits. It's going to be a TNT 200 wet shot first stage and 100 dry shot second stage for a total of 300. So i'm curious, what is optimal a/f to shoot for while spraying, what would be the max timing you would want to run, and should I swap my tr6's for tr8's? I have about 11.5/1 compression in a slightly larger than stock cube motor (374 cubes) and will be running probably about 100 octane mix (few gallons left in tank of 93 and add in 5 gallons of 104 unleaded). I'd just like to have an idea of what I should be looking for while it's being tuned, cuz i've been doing my own tuning and get nervous about letting anyone touch the car, but I want it perfect and I can't get it there myself, just don't really have all the knowledge of tuning, it's pretty close, but I want to squeeze everything out of it that I can, but of course not blow it up! And of course I don't want someone else blowin it up, so I figure if I have an idea of what I should be shootin for i'll let him know and have him get it there, thanks guys!
Old 11-16-2005, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you need tr8's stop over. I have a few sets laying around
Old 11-16-2005, 08:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sniffin94
if you need tr8's stop over. I have a few sets laying around
Sweet, I tried callin you earlier to get Lee's number to see if he had any layin around, but I actually ended up pickin his number out of the back of my brain, couldn't believe I actually remembered it, but no answer, so left a msg. If everyone recommends the TR8's, i'll definately stop by and grab them, thanks dude, cuz no one has them in stock!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:15 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

I run tr8 and would go with c16 fuel.When you start hitting motors with 300 plus shots **** happens real quick.I would aim with a afr of 11.1 with 19 degrees of timing.All cars will live on a dyno for a quick squirt of the juce.The true test is the quarter mile.Everything after 1000ft
Old 11-16-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tuff
I run tr8 and would go with c16 fuel.When you start hitting motors with 300 plus shots **** happens real quick.I would aim with a afr of 11.1 with 19 degrees of timing.All cars will live on a dyno for a quick squirt of the juce.The true test is the quarter mile.Everything after 1000ft
I still street drive the car too, will mixing c16 with 93 pump be ok? And how bad is it really for the o2's to use leaded fuel? I was thinkin about 14 - 16 degress of timing, 19 wouldn't be too much? Also, how easily are the tr8's fouled out street driving? I appreciate the info, thanks man!
Old 11-16-2005, 09:44 PM
8 SEC SLOPPY SHOT!!!

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
I still street drive the car too, will mixing c16 with 93 pump be ok? And how bad is it really for the o2's to use leaded fuel? I was thinkin about 14 - 16 degress of timing, 19 wouldn't be too much? Also, how easily are the tr8's fouled out street driving? I appreciate the info, thanks man!
Well since you still street drive the c16 would get hard on the pocket book and your o2s would bit the dust quick.I run open loop and it was the best thing i did,no more o2s.If you plan on running 104 unleaded vs a leaded fuel unleaded burns hotter.Im not a big fan of the 104 unleaded fuel since i hurt my motor on it early this season and of course i hurt it on a big shot.If your set on 104 i don't think i would go much past a 200 shot.BTW tr8 don't foul out easy but they hurt N/A performance.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well since you still street drive the c16 would get hard on the pocket book and your o2s would bit the dust quick.I run open loop and it was the best thing i did,no more o2s.If you plan on running 104 unleaded vs a leaded fuel unleaded burns hotter.Im not a big fan of the 104 unleaded fuel since i hurt my motor on it early this season and of course i hurt it on a big shot.If your set on 104 i don't think i would go much past a 200 shot.BTW tr8 don't foul out easy but they hurt N/A performance.

What he said.
Say goodbye to your O2's and hello to C16.
You'd better have a racing plug in for that rather than a street type plug.
Don't spray if your engine is hot already.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Junkie

damn, that kind of sucks. I'm kind of curious, how come I need so much octane, I mean i've been hittin the 150's on 93, didn't think another 150 would make that big a diff on the octane. But anyways, what do you guys gap the tr8's at?
Old 11-17-2005, 09:13 AM
8 second mod

I run 117 NOS suprem blend from sanoco. a tr8 plug is a good idea, and with the plug and the fuel 18-19* of timming should be good as long as the fuel is on the money.
as for the 02's, get rid of them. they are only going to screw you up. lol
they change the tuneup even a little, and your all done.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Noyzee
I run 117 NOS suprem blend from sanoco. a tr8 plug is a good idea, and with the plug and the fuel 18-19* of timming should be good as long as the fuel is on the money.
as for the 02's, get rid of them. they are only going to screw you up. lol
they change the tuneup even a little, and your all done.
To tell you the truth dude, i'd love too do all that, but I drive the car on the street a lot, and drive it to and from the track, so not sure if I can. I talked with Norris today and he recommended that since I do drive it a lot that I stick with the tr6's and add like 5 gallons of 104 to the couple left of 93 and that he'll tune it to be safe like that, he said obviously I won't get the full potential out of it, but that he'll get it safe and too run pretty good. You think that'll work? One day she'll be race car only (when I have another ls1 to have fun driving around, hehe), but for now, she's not a daily but see's a lot of street duty.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:18 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
To tell you the truth dude, i'd love too do all that, but I drive the car on the street a lot, and drive it to and from the track, so not sure if I can. I talked with Norris today and he recommended that since I do drive it a lot that I stick with the tr6's and add like 5 gallons of 104 to the couple left of 93 and that he'll tune it to be safe like that, he said obviously I won't get the full potential out of it, but that he'll get it safe and too run pretty good. You think that'll work? One day she'll be race car only (when I have another ls1 to have fun driving around, hehe), but for now, she's not a daily but see's a lot of street duty.
I dont like the TR6 much after 175. I had been running TR7's for the 5months on the street, made my new NA PB and all. I would rather drop the timing a little, add the right plugs, tune on the race gas (whichever you prefer) and then when I race I am good but street I know I'd still be one bad ****! I used to use leaded at the track all the time, dont have to drop timing as much. I burnt most out at the track so didnt mess with the O2's since it was at WOT for the mix.
There are always different ways to skin this cat, but you have to choose whats best for you.
Me, 20*, C16, TR 7 or 8 (or Autolites) and keep the AFR in check.

GL man.

Charlie
Old 11-17-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

It only takes one plug failure on the bottle to destroy your engine and then you don't even have a street car.
There is no problem running without the O2's daily as long as you have means to tune the PCM.