Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take a look at my dyno sheet and let me know what you think about the a/f....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Take a look at my dyno sheet and let me know what you think about the a/f....

Is it too rich, or perfect? Only thing i'm gonna change is drop the timing, cuz he had it at 22 on that pull with tr6's still in the car and running a mix of probably 2 gallons 93 and 5 gallons 104 and I just don't feel safe having it that high, he put it to 20 after, but i'm gonna drop it to 16 unless you guys think otherwise?

PS - It was not detonating, the graph is a little choppy cuz I was spinning the tires on the dyno.
Attached Thumbnails Take a look at my dyno sheet and let me know what you think about the a/f....-dyno-both-kits-smaller-.jpg  
Old 11-18-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

you have the nitrous "lean spike" issue which happens from the very high pressure of nitrous, basically the nitrous makes it to the cylinder a bit before the lower pressure fuel. Other than the spike, you look a bit rich. I think 16 degrees it pulling too much, the guy that ran 9's with a 250 shot runs 17 degrees. I have the stock timing with my nitrous and it runs nicely.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brad8266
you have the nitrous "lean spike" issue which happens from the very high pressure of nitrous, basically the nitrous makes it to the cylinder a bit before the lower pressure fuel. Other than the spike, you look a bit rich. I think 16 degrees it pulling too much, the guy that ran 9's with a 250 shot runs 17 degrees. I have the stock timing with my nitrous and it runs nicely.
Well i'm running a first stage tnt 200 shot and second stage was supposed too be a 150 dry to the crank but I must've gotten the wrong jet cuz it only put 70 to the tire, so running such a big shot with 11.5/1 compression and the octane and plugs i'm running I figured 16 - 18 degrees timing would be safe and I heard that on a big shot like this 10.1 - 10.2 a/f is what ya shoot for, but I could be wrong, that's why I asked. On a 100 shot I ran stock timing of 28 degrees on my stock motor with a cam and had no issues, but with something like this, ya gotta be really careful.

And I definately have the lean spike, but it shouldn't be too bad, only goin to 11.0 or so and then droppin down.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

sorry didnt know your CR was so high or that you had a huge staged shot. Id be trying to fix that lean spike, with that kind of power it could possibly be bad to spike like that. Not sure what the ratio should be but 10 sounds really rich.
Old 11-19-2005, 06:24 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by brad8266
sorry didnt know your CR was so high or that you had a huge staged shot. Id be trying to fix that lean spike, with that kind of power it could possibly be bad to spike like that. Not sure what the ratio should be but 10 sounds really rich.
How do you get rid of the lean spike, I thought that was just a fact of nitrous?
Old 11-19-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is a fact with wet kits, i have the spike too, but not as much as you do. You can make it better some by getting the fuel noid as close as you can so the fuel line from the noid to the rail is as short as possible. This will help the fuel get there sooner.
Old 11-19-2005, 02:54 PM
8 second mod

you can set up a |"purge" to your fuel noids. that will get the fuel and n2o right to the noids and it will hit closer to the same time. ither then that it looks pretty good. id say timming is good do to wrong plugs and wrong fuel for so much spray. 16 should be pretty safe. just be careful, just because she lived for 5 seconds on the dyno, make sure if she starts to loose power up top at the track, let out fast.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Noyzee
you can set up a |"purge" to your fuel noids. that will get the fuel and n2o right to the noids and it will hit closer to the same time. ither then that it looks pretty good. id say timming is good do to wrong plugs and wrong fuel for so much spray. 16 should be pretty safe. just be careful, just because she lived for 5 seconds on the dyno, make sure if she starts to loose power up top at the track, let out fast.
So I can put a purge before the fuel noid, that's a good idea, I didn't even think of that! I was always under the impression that it lean spiked like that cuz it was pullin off the fuel rails and it took them a sec to catch up and the nitrous is a higher pressure and gets there before the fuel. And yeah, like I said dude, i'd love too run the good stuff, but right now it's not really practical too do with as much as I drive it around. I will definately let out if she starts to nose dove, I definately don't want to blow her up, she's runnin so good, it would suck to lose it, that's why I figured 16 would be good and safe, cuz like you said, she may not have had a problem at the timing he had it at on the dyno, but a 1/4 mile run is diff.

Bye the way, I guess I should've had more confidence in my tuning skills, cuz my tune was right on, he didn't change a thing, basically made some dyno pulls and told me my tune was perfect and still charged me full price for it which I was pretty upset about but whatever, live and learn and now at least I know i'm doing a good job and can keep it up and found a dyno that can get a good a/f read on the car for future changes and tuning!

Just out of curiosity, if you had to guess, what you think she'll run? I'll be happy with anywhere under 9.50's!!!
Old 11-20-2005, 12:16 PM
8 second mod

yhea, you can purge back into the fuel system. i thought you had a stand alone? i must have miss red somthing.

as for the fuel/timming. you should be safe.

as for what wil it run, it depends. my car made about the same power i weighed in at about 3300 pounds, and hooked 1.3 60' every pass, and i went 9.4's so i guess you could guess of my car.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

yhea, you can purge back into the fuel system. i thought you had a stand alone? i must have miss red somthing.

as for the fuel/timming. you should be safe.

as for what wil it run, it depends. my car made about the same power i weighed in at about 3300 pounds, and hooked 1.3 60' every pass, and i went 9.4's so i guess you could guess of my car.
Nah, I haven't gotten a standalone yet, i'm gonna put the money together to get an lsx 90 setup with a direct port and a standalone all at the same time after I upgrade my safety stuff.

With me in the car it's about 3470 (i'm 280 ) and I hope she'll cut 1.3's, so maybe 9.50's is possible!
Old 11-20-2005, 12:34 PM
8 second mod

i wouldd say if you can hook, you should do it.

Good luck man!!

i think im going to do a 90/90 setup this year also.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Are you still running the stock FP regulator in the tank? If relocated to the rails that should tone down the lean spike. Not worth doing if your deffinatly going to a standalone though.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:45 PM
TECH Junkie

i wouldd say if you can hook, you should do it.

Good luck man!!

i think im going to do a 90/90 setup this year also.
Thanks, and the 90/90 is killer, gained one of my buddy's like 2 -3 mph on a stock cube motor n/a!

One other thing if ya could take a look that I find weird, I think the power peaks kind of early for my setup. It's a mild stroker, 374 cubes, and the cam i'm running is huge, it's a futral grind, 246/257 .632/.645 112+4 are the specs and i'm running tea stg 2.5 5.3 casting heads that flow pretty damn good, like 316 or something like that @ .600, didn't send any numbers for .650 but I asked and they said it wouldn't gain any at .650, but wouldn't stall, would still be 316. With that large of a cam i'd think it'd peak a bit higher and not fall off as much, you can't tell from this sheet cuz the tach signal got a little messed up so they put mph on there instead of rpm, but this check this one out. Although maybe it's b/c it's goin so rich, cuz the graph of it on both kits doesn't seem to fall off as much and pull the entire way through.
Attached Thumbnails Take a look at my dyno sheet and let me know what you think about the a/f....-dyno-first-stage-only-smaller-.jpg  
Old 11-20-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
Are you still running the stock FP regulator in the tank? If relocated to the rails that should tone down the lean spike. Not worth doing if your deffinatly going to a standalone though.
Yeah, i'm sure it's still in the tank, didn't mess with anything like that. And i'm definately goin to a standalone when I get the direct port, so like you said probably not worth it.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:50 PM
8 second mod

looks like he sprayed it, then started the pull? he should have started the pull, then sprad it. meening get the car from 2-3k, then run it till you spray it. it gives a better af reading ect.

but the power falling could be anything. converter ect.
i never paid much atention to #'s on a dyno. i would use it as a tool to get your af correct, then tune it by reading the plugs. i would say get it to the track, and real world test it. thats it.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Junkie

looks like he sprayed it, then started the pull? he should have started the pull, then sprad it. meening get the car from 2-3k, then run it till you spray it. it gives a better af reading ect.

but the power falling could be anything. converter ect.
i never paid much atention to #'s on a dyno. i would use it as a tool to get your af correct, then tune it by reading the plugs. i would say get it to the track, and real world test it. thats it.
I won't be racing again till december, actually just pulled the tranny to get it fixed, but my best et and mph has been shifting at 7000 - 7200, that's why I found it odd.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:11 PM
8 second mod

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
I won't be racing again till december, actually just pulled the tranny to get it fixed, but my best et and mph has been shifting at 7000 - 7200, that's why I found it odd.
when you shift that high, it falls back right into its power range.
imo the power is probably off do to different conditions then the track.