Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous newbie...(mainly LT1 folks, but whoever really)

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 06:19 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous newbie...(mainly LT1 folks, but whoever really)

Looking at a kit over Christmas...

The upside is, I've browsed/searched this forum for ideas for a good while now.
The downside is there seems to be a boatload of them.

Seems like a majority of the opinions here are for NX, although I'm half leaning towards Zex due to idiot-proofness, (is that even a word?) and pricetag.

I'm not planning on throwing more than a 100 shot at my rather stock 75k mile LT1.

Suggestions? If you recommend a certain kit, why?
Old 12-09-2005, 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

I have no complaints with my NX kit. The problem is You say you only want a 100 shot, but thats what everyone says and next thing you know you are asking what's the most I can spray on my stock block. Then you start looking into forged internals so you can start spraying your way into the 10's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is N2O is addicting. Using the search button and reading what everyone is doing and happy with is a great start. Call some of the sponsers and get their opinion and have them give you some info on their products.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would invite you to check out our LTx based wet kit. Complete kit and very resonably priced. We will give all the tech support required, whether our kit or not, before, during and after install. Lifetime warranty on the noids. We offer companion safety kits, ie: Pro Pack I and II.
LTx Nitrous Direct Wet Kit
Robert
Old 12-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 30thz
I have no complaints with my NX kit. The problem is You say you only want a 100 shot, but thats what everyone says and next thing you know you are asking what's the most I can spray on my stock block. Then you start looking into forged internals so you can start spraying your way into the 10's.

I guess what I'm trying to say is N2O is addicting. Using the search button and reading what everyone is doing and happy with is a great start. Call some of the sponsers and get their opinion and have them give you some info on their products.

Done plenty of searching. As far as calling the manufacturers go, I found with my first thirdgen way back in the day that I can be persuaded pretty easily by a guy with an above average sales pitch. Which is where you guys who actually have them come in. Y'all dont get paid by the spray companies, and hence are less likely to bullshit about them.

And I can comfortably say I wont want to go past 100 (150 would be the max ) Theres always someone with a bigger wallet and a faster car, so I figure 12-whatever will be plenty for me. (and ive still got a boatload of boltons to do)
Old 12-09-2005, 08:52 PM
10 Second Club

I recommend NOS #5176 dry system or the Edelbrock dry kit.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:44 AM
10 Second Club

In that case like I said earlier I love my NX wet. The thing I like about the wet is no need to buy injectors, and NX has the lifetime warrenty. Some of the sponsers I've bought from are Nitro dave and Dynotune can't say a bad thing about either one great companies with great prices and tech support.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

The lt1 dry kits use a fuel pump to spike pressure, on stock injectors.
Robert
Old 12-10-2005, 09:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Robert
At what shot do you need to get bigger injectors?
Old 12-10-2005, 09:19 PM
11 Second Club

Just get nitrous, I like NX or NOS, they have been around for a long time now, both very much tried and trued. What ever you deside, you'll love it. Good luck...
Old 12-11-2005, 12:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert56
Robert

Robert,
Actually the LT1 dry kits work by spiking the pressure to the fuel regulater.Then the fuel regulater adds the extra needed fuel through the injectors.

Dave
Old 12-11-2005, 12:29 AM
FormerVendor

NOS and ZEX make a good dry kit for the LT1. If you go with a Wet system I suggest a NX system for the best quality and completness. If you shop around there are places to find it cheaper than what is listed on the websites.

Check out our christmas specials for some good deals.Also feel free to hit me up through a pm if I can help tech wise or with picking a system that fits your needs.
Dave
Old 12-11-2005, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
Robert,
Actually the LT1 dry kits work by spiking the pressure to the fuel regulater.Then the fuel regulater adds the extra needed fuel through the injectors.

Dave
Correcto amundo, but done with an aux fuel pump in the kit correct, the addtional fuel pressure comes from this pump to trick injectors into being bigger only while spraying (or are you saying pump is volume based only). The limit of shot before injectors need upsizing I do not know, but kits come for upyo 150 hp shot on stock. You may be able to go higher though.
Robert
Old 12-11-2005, 01:41 AM
FormerVendor

I believe the fuel pump is to just make sure there is enough pressure /volume for the shot. The kit works just like on the for 5.0s. The fuel pump has nothing to do with the injector side of it other than making sure there is enough fuel. Its also a band aid way of making sure there is enough fuel.. I prefer the inline...

Here is exactly how the dry works on the ford 5.0 and the LT1.
You have two solenoids. The solenoids open at the same time but there is a fmu imbetween the two solenoids.When they open it acts by flowing through there before hitting the next solenoid.This spikes the pressure to the regulater before spraying the nitrous.This way the fuel and nitrous hit about the same time... The fmu actually has a jet in it just like the nitrous does to determain the amount of pressure pushed to the regulater....
See I told you I have had my fare share of playing with dry kits... MY old buddy steve had one of these kits on just about every mustang he owned.Until I got him wooked on wet kits.LOL
My 88 mustand also had a NOS dry on it.
Dave
Old 12-11-2005, 01:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
I believe the fuel pump is to just make sure there is enough pressure /volume for the shot. The kit works just like on the for 5.0s. The fuel pump has nothing to do with the injector side of it other than making sure there is enough fuel. Its also a band aid way of making sure there is enough fuel.. I prefer the inline...

Here is exactly how the dry works on the ford 5.0 and the LT1.
You have two solenoids. The solenoids open at the same time but there is a fmu imbetween the two solenoids.When they open it acts by flowing through there before hitting the next solenoid.This spikes the pressure to the regulater before spraying the nitrous.This way the fuel and nitrous hit about the same time... The fmu actually has a jet in it just like the nitrous does to determain the amount of pressure pushed to the regulater....
See I told you I have had my fare share of playing with dry kits... MY old buddy steve had one of these kits on just about every mustang he owned.Until I got him wooked on wet kits.LOL
My 88 mustand also had a NOS dry on it.
Dave
I understand how it works, it's still getting the fuel pressure from the pump correct. These are 24lb injectors at 43 lbs fuel pressure, the only way your going to turn them into 30lb injectors is to spike the pressure. Ok the pressure is available one side of regulator, and by sending the n2o (I refer to it as a boost ref type set-up for clarity) pressure to regulator it allows the pressure thru the reg. This aux fuel pump does not always run only when spraying correct. If the stock system had the extra pressure there would be no need for aux pump unless it was volume problems.
Robert
Old 12-11-2005, 01:58 AM
FormerVendor

No On many set ups I do not even use that pump. That pumps only reason is to make sure there is enough Fuel delivery..

All the fuel is determained by pressure from the FMU and nitrous solenoid...
Dave
Old 12-11-2005, 01:58 AM
FormerVendor

Ohh and the pump I believe runs all the time. Other wise it would be a huge restriction.
Dave
Old 12-11-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Veteran

The fuel pump on the LT1 and Cobra style dry kits is just there to increase overall volume of the intank pump. The regulator is still in place...even after the inline. So the pressure is still regulated to the 43 psi even with the inline running. Its not untill the noids open and the pressure spikes the FPR regulator to close off the return flow that the pressure actually spikes.

Atleast this is how I remember it.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Looking at the install directions for the NOS dry, the fuel pump is inline and runs all the time increasing line pressure and volume. Normal operation the extra pressure/volume is bleed off at regulator and returned to tank. The stock regulator is a vacuum refereced type. Kits FMU is tee'ed into this vac line that goes to stock reg. Now is this not the n2o going past/thru the fmu and adjusted with a jet adding to the vacuum signal already there, and thus the boost ref type scenerio.
Robert
Old 12-11-2005, 03:02 AM
TECH Veteran

exactly...kind of odd that they include a complete fuel pump with a kit. But I guess you have to since the stock pumps arent all that great. Those kits a fairly high priced as well due to the included pump.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:09 AM
FormerVendor

Robert its alot different from the simpleness of a ls1.
Dave