Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

braided vs nylon lines...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question braided vs nylon lines...

I understand that there are new rules set forth by the administrator(s) and moderator(s), but I'm hoping input from vendors and/or sponsors in this thread won't violate those rules...

My question is this: Why is nylon hose better for use with nitrous than braided stainless steel? I do see one advantage of it possibly being cheaper and easier to trim to a custom length. If NHRA has rules about which one to use, why? If you're wondering why I'm asking, it's because I just so happened to stumble across what seemed to be a very arrogant post focusing on that question. http://www.noswizard.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=151 I know it's a British (or whatever) site, but does he have a point?

Here's my favorite point from Mr. Merlin: "My pipe is far easier to run through the car."

So why doesn't Cold Fusion, DynoTune, Nitrous Direct, Nitrous Outlet, NOS, NX, ZEX, etc. use straight nylon?

I'd like the answers to be as technical as possible. Thanks!
-somebody
Old 12-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Restricted User

Some companies do use Nylon tubing, and have been over a year, just none I have seen for the main feed line, for reasons stated. The safe handling pressure hasnt been achieved using a similar to flow as -6 line.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

The lack of abrasion and line protection are the NOT the only drawbacks to nylon for mainline use. Extended exposure to N20 temps would make me nervous.
Hawk
Old 12-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by Somebody09
I understand that there are new rules set forth by the administrator(s) and moderator(s), but I'm hoping input from vendors and/or sponsors in this thread won't violate those rules...

My question is this: Why is nylon hose better for use with nitrous than braided stainless steel? I do see one advantage of it possibly being cheaper and easier to trim to a custom length. If NHRA has rules about which one to use, why? If you're wondering why I'm asking, it's because I just so happened to stumble across what seemed to be a very arrogant post focusing on that question. http://www.noswizard.com/bboard/viewtopic.php?t=151 I know it's a British (or whatever) site, but does he have a point?

Here's my favorite point from Mr. Merlin: "My pipe is far easier to run through the car."

So why doesn't Cold Fusion, DynoTune, Nitrous Direct, Nitrous Outlet, NOS, NX, ZEX, etc. use straight nylon?

I'd like the answers to be as technical as possible. Thanks!
-somebody
In the past the nylon line we used was only good in an open air place like an M/C. The tubing specs showed great psi rating around 1500psi, but that was at 72'f. When you go up on temp that psi working and burst pressure falls greatly.. And in the engine compartment of todays street cars the temps are to hot, and we kept blowing the lines.. Even with a sheild on the line it still found the weak spot and would blow. I even tryied up to a 1/8 wall thickness same results in the end. .. Now across the pond they may have accesss to hose that can handle the psi and temp, or they just do not get as hot as we do...
Steel braided hose can handle the psi, and high temp, becuase of the steel braid around the hose...
Now a race car will never see the same temps as a street car in the engine compartment..
I will need to do a little research to see if someone has come up with a hose nylon or teflon that can handle temp and pressure...
Parker is one worlds largest suppliers for nylon hose..
Ricky
Old 12-18-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

You can use either. Many kits and companies use nylon for the nozzle plumbing when used in multi nozzle setups because it's easy to plumb and create custom lengths, and also may be less obvious then braided lines. Stainless braided lines of course can handle the extreme temps, are more durable and can flow more. It really depends on the install you're doing, and your requirements. I have personally have seen higher psi nylon lines than what was mentioned.
Old 12-19-2005, 08:24 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks for your input guys.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:51 AM

Here is the parker page on some Nylon hose, notice as temps goes up, burst psi start dropping.
So Nylon N Series seems the best.

Ricky
Old 12-21-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Resident

Hey Ricky are those tests done open ended tubing or plugged
Old 12-23-2005, 02:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The main reason not to use poly line on main supply is chafing. We don't want plastic tube rubbing back and forth on a body panel edge, won't last too long. But, SS braiding can take that punishment. don't believe everything you hear from the Wizards of NOS, as they plumb small British cars and have thinking that's a little diff from ours. Poly is fine for nozzle plumbing on an intake, but that's about as far as we want to take it (no main supply lines). We use poly line all over in the Maritime trade and works well in certain high pressure applications. Poly is also good for plumbing purges and remote n2o press gauges.
Robert
Old 12-23-2005, 08:59 AM
TECH Resident

I'd never run it as a main line either, it's not rugged enough to brave the elements, can easily get snagged on something, even kinked, and only supports up to roughly 100hp

Last edited by NitrousDirect; 12-23-2005 at 10:37 AM.
Old 12-23-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by NitrousDirect
Hey Ricky are those tests done open ended tubing or plugged
Testing was done psi in the line, so at pressure with or without open end it still burst at that pressure.. This is the main reason we stopped using poly line roughly 5 years ago.. Just not as reliable as the Steelbraided... And at that time the -2 line I have now we did not know about... Just as routable as the poly line, a smige larger, but has a burst pressure 27000+ . 630 Bar working pressure...
Ricky
Old 12-23-2005, 11:06 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet. Its nice to see companys that spend the money to come up with the latest and greatest stuff to make sure we always have the best thing available.
Dave

Quick Reply: braided vs nylon lines...