Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Purge Line Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2006, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Purge Line Question

I just got an NX Iceman purge kit and it came with a 4" tube to attach for purging. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with that since it isn't going to get me very far. I'm not sure if they want me to extend off that with some hose and a clamp or toss it out and get a bigger piece of tubing.

I'd like to setup the purge to run up at the windsheild from up under the cowl.

I don't really understand how the fittings work that came with the kit and am unsure if I should use the 3/16 brake line or the poly line. Can you get all of the fittings and such at local car part stores? Anyone have a list of items needed?

Because I don't know how the fittings work I don't know if it is more trouble to run poly to a "T" fitting and then bend tubing to have a dual setup or just run one tube out through the cowl.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

my kit came with like 3ft of black plastic tubing. you screw the poly line adapter into the bottom of the solenoid and route your black tubing however you like. you just slide the poly tubing into the little adapter and its self locking. its also a quick disconect if you ever need to remove the tube or install new tube.
Old 05-06-2006, 03:45 AM
TECH Addict

what i did was i got some braided line and mounted the noid to the cowl and used the little 4in line bent it and cut it. I zip tied the noid too. worked great. hope you kinda understand what I'm saying.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

i had all my nitrous stuff in the back of the motor. So I drilled a hole into where the little plastic grill is where the winshield whiperblades come down. I dont know if the 4th gen has it. But it looks cool going up and over the winshield
Old 05-06-2006, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vanzrider
i had all my nitrous stuff in the back of the motor. So I drilled a hole into where the little plastic grill is where the winshield whiperblades come down. I dont know if the 4th gen has it. But it looks cool going up and over the winshield
i drilled mine in the same spot. its dead center and angled to the windshield. i dont like when it shoots straight up kinda makes your car look like a steam train
Old 05-07-2006, 01:42 AM
Launching!

I bought brass plumbing and a t-fitting. Let me see if I can find some pictures from when I did my nitrous install.
Old 05-07-2006, 01:47 AM
Launching!

Here are the pictures. For the record, that is my old motor, my engine bay is not that dirty anymore, and my car is not purple.

Also, when I was done getting the lines in place I straightened them up so they were nice and straight. I then used some black wire loom to cover them up so they actually look very factory.

Old 05-07-2006, 02:36 AM
11 Second Club

That is what I was looking for What size fittings and types? I went to Home Depot today and looked but didn't end up getting anything becuase I thought I needed 1/8 compression fittings(??) Is that just 3/16 copper tubing?

I don't get the whole compression fitting vs. flared vs. double-flared.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

The purge line is 3/16". It comes with a compression fitting. Compression fittings use a brass ring that looks like a wedding ring. You put the nut on the ling than put the ring on the line. Then push the line all the way into the fitting and hold it there while you screw the nut on. The nut will compress the ring onto the tube and you are done. Do not over tighten. Good and snug is all you need.

Flare fittings require you to flare the end of the line with a flaring tool. You can't do this with nylon or polly line. When the line is flared if you look at it from the side it looks like you are looking at a Y. Double flare looks similar except the tubing has a double flare. It takes a special tool for this. The next time you are in the auto store ask to see a piece of large brake or fuel line 3/8" or 5/16". Look closely and you will see the double flare.

Each type uses it's own special nuts & fittings. Do not try to mix them. You need to know which type you have so you can ask for the right fittings.