Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High Mileage N2O...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default High Mileage N2O...

YES, I read the stickies, however, it is very broad, as long as your rings and head gaskets are in good condition you'll be fine...

Well I bought the car with 75k miles on it and it now has 91k. Ever since I've had it I have taken VERY good care of it, but I definetely cannot speak for the previous owners.

So the appeal of cheap horsepower is finally getting the best of me and I'm wondering how risky it might be to look at maybe a 75-100 dry shot just to keep me comfortable. Keep in mind this car is my daily driver, but if I am going to do nitrous I will not just do it cheap and dirty I will be sure to do it right. I am just of course worried that maybe my engine is not in as good of condition as it could be.

Sorry I know this is probably a really newbie question but any input would be awesome.

BTW the car is an A4
Old 05-25-2006, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do a compression test first to make sure your motor is up to the extra horsepower but i'd say go for it.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

all i can say is what i've done in the past, many say it was dumb/stupid but it held together for me.

when it was replaced/upgraded it had around 141k miles, cam only, sprayed 200 d/p shot for around 6 months and sprayed 150-175 wet shot for 6-8 months prior & after. never had any broken parts/breakage. when i took the heads off the short block looked normal, cross-hatch was still in all of the cylinders, pistons looked fine, no blown gaskets.

some say i could kill a motor and it still be in perfect shape....transmissions are a different story
Old 05-25-2006, 10:58 PM
Restricted User

Luna, agree with recommending a Comp check and leakdown test. As well as making sure you can tune, I would service the trans before any juice. Examine the fluid and filter to see if there may be a potential problem. You can use a lot of sauce on these cars but any issue with trans will be exponentially increased once the juice flows. GL
Old 05-25-2006, 11:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CAT3
Luna, agree with recommending a Comp check and leakdown test. As well as making sure you can tune, I would service the trans before any juice. Examine the fluid and filter to see if there may be a potential problem. You can use a lot of sauce on these cars but any issue with trans will be exponentially increased once the juice flows. GL
I am going to do a compression test this week, and check out the trans too, The trans MAY end up being a problem here.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:00 AM
Restricted User

Oh no, not MAY, it WILL, just when is the real question. Before you go too far, there are very few big hitters suucessfully running a 4L60E. Are there some hitting 200+ on it, yep, and there are more that have and went to stronger trans. Built or not the trans is weak. I went through the stocker, and one very well built one..now Rossler Terminator II TH350. I dont see my having any issues with this.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:17 AM
On The Tree

High mileage = clearance... Spray the crap outta that thing!
Old 05-26-2006, 06:38 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

yes, your trans will take a huge **** in your car.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do a compression and leak down test to check out the condition of the engine internals. If that is all good then I would assume that the engine is in decent condition and can handle spray. Your A4 trans will be the weak point in handling the high torque that nitrous produces.

I have been spraying 150 on my stock block with 94k on it for a while now and its still ok.