Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2006, 07:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing Tuner

What exactly is a timing tuner and what does it do?

I apologize for the lame question.......
Old 07-01-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

The timing tuner connects inline with the crank position sensor. When the nitrous is activated, the timing tuner can shift the signal to retard the timing. It also has a window switch and activation delay builtin. All of the setting are customizable.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:54 AM
10 Second Club

can all so add or retared timming for na
Old 07-02-2006, 02:15 AM
10 Second Club

So, if I went and added a 150hp nitrous system to my car and just went to have it dyno tuned............how would that be any better or worse than having a timing tuner?
Old 07-02-2006, 02:38 AM
TECH Addict

Its advantage I believe, is you can run a NA Tune and have the timing computer pull timing only when the Nitrous is activated.

From T Byrne

http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/c5catalog.html

The Timing Tuner is a device that is installed on LS1 and derivative engine equipped vehicles for adjusting the spark advance ‘timing’ to extract improved engine performance. The unit installs ‘in-line’ with the crankshaft sensor wiring and alters the signal that is received by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module, ‘engine computer’). By shifting the crankshaft signal ahead or behind in time the spark timing in the engine is changed.

The Timing Tuner is used to adjust the Spark Advance to improve engine response and power. Assuming sufficient octane fuel is used, most production engines will make more power with a few more degrees of spark advance. However when Nitrous Oxide or superchargers/turbochargers are used to raise horsepower the spark advance must be reduced (retarded) to prevent detonation. Detonation (pinging, spark knocking) is very destructive and is to be avoided. Always run high enough octane fuel for the power levels desired.

The Timing Tuner also has a Nitrous Oxide (N2O) control feature. The unit features activation delay, timing retard, and activation controls based on RPM. The setup can be optimized for non-N2O driving and when the trigger wire is energized the secondary settings are activated. This ensures the optimum setting is always available both with and without N2O.

My RWTD NA tune was 308 HP, when I changed my tune for Nitrous (pulled timing) I went to 299 HP NA.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:54 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beer99C5
Its advantage I believe, is you can run a NA Tune and have the timing computer pull timing only when the Nitrous is activated.

From T Byrne

The Timing Tuner is a device that is installed on LS1 and derivative engine equipped vehicles for adjusting the spark advance ‘timing’ to extract improved engine performance. The unit installs ‘in-line’ with the crankshaft sensor wiring and alters the signal that is received by the PCM (Powertrain Control Module, ‘engine computer’). By shifting the crankshaft signal ahead or behind in time the spark timing in the engine is changed.

The Timing Tuner is used to adjust the Spark Advance to improve engine response and power. Assuming sufficient octane fuel is used, most production engines will make more power with a few more degrees of spark advance. However when Nitrous Oxide or superchargers/turbochargers are used to raise horsepower the spark advance must be reduced (retarded) to prevent detonation. Detonation (pinging, spark knocking) is very destructive and is to be avoided. Always run high enough octane fuel for the power levels desired.

The Timing Tuner also has a Nitrous Oxide (N2O) control feature. The unit features activation delay, timing retard, and activation controls based on RPM. The setup can be optimized for non-N2O driving and when the trigger wire is energized the secondary settings are activated. This ensures the optimum setting is always available both with and without N2O.

My RWTD NA tune was 308 HP, when I changed my tune for Nitrous (pulled timing) I went to 299 HP NA.
do you use a timing tuner? I have about 400-425rwhp N/A and assume I'll have 550ish with daves wet LS1 corvette plate system. I was planning on useing the dual digital window switch, but I'm wondering what I should do now!!

I "PLAN" on only using the spray for track visits....
Old 07-02-2006, 03:09 AM
TECH Addict

No Timing computer here, I am just running a Nitrous tune (pulled timing) all the time now, I can see how the timing computer could be helpful though.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Second Club

No Timing computer here, I am just running a Nitrous tune (pulled timing) all the time now, I can see how the timing computer could be helpful though.

Do you think it would be that benificial though?

I mean when your talking about 5-10hp for a $300+ item.......that doesn't make much sense to me. If it is a big deal for you to win the race I would think you would use the bottle.

But if its going to take 30-35hp from my car N/A, well I might want to consider it. You know what I mean?
Old 07-02-2006, 04:04 AM
TECH Addict

Yep I agree, I am content running with the tune I got. I can swap between the NA tune and the Nitrous Tune with the Predator, but the 8 or 10 HP difference I cannot feel the difference (nor can the wife when she is driving it when I am gone). I don't race often anyway.
Old 07-02-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you have an aftermarket tune? no timing pull is needed on 150 and below. Just use the highest octane fuel. Also, to be ultra safe, should log for knock retard. Some just randomly pull timing based on the guesstimation rule of XX timing pulled for each XXhp added. I think this is a lame way to do it, but some have no other way, or don't desire to do it by checking if needed.
Robert
Old 07-03-2006, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Robert56
Unless you have an aftermarket tune? no timing pull is needed on 150 and below. Just use the highest octane fuel. Also, to be ultra safe, should log for knock retard. Some just randomly pull timing based on the guesstimation rule of XX timing pulled for each XXhp added. I think this is a lame way to do it, but some have no other way, or don't desire to do it by checking if needed.
Robert
Rmember I had Ellis tune my car?

And I should be making mid 500's to the wheels and around 600rwtq.... You don't think I need a tune for that?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one, the main reason I got it was B/C I couldnt get RWTD to modify my tune and so I have a lot more freedom to adjust my timing however I'd want. I also liked the fact that the timing only gets yanked when the WOT switch gets triped.
Old 07-04-2006, 01:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Rmember I had Ellis tune my car?

And I should be making mid 500's to the wheels and around 600rwtq.... You don't think I need a tune for that?
If added timing was done then some may be needed to be pulled. A real tune is the way to go, then you will have optimum timing, not some random amount pulled according to some general rule that may work or may not work for your ride. Yes, a tune and logging is a good idea.
Robert
Old 07-04-2006, 08:04 AM
Teching In

I was told it's good to pull 2 degrees per 50hp over 100hp.... Do I have to do this?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WS6ZILLA
I was told it's good to pull 2 degrees per 50hp over 100hp.... Do I have to do this?
That's what I am talking about, normally no. Unless you have had an after market tune where they have added timing you should be fine. I always suggest logging for kr if ya can. I think some of the n2o companys say this just to cover all applications, even the ones that don't need it. Now with that said, some prefer to use this rule for piece of mind when they can't log or dyno tune, it's your call. A couple hp will/maybe be lost, but...

Here's another myth. Many believe that you run as much timing as you can untill kr appears then back off a couple degrees for best power. This is not true. Max power does not always equal max timing. The best way to set timing for max power is on a dyno and go for max hp, not max timing.
Robert
Old 07-04-2006, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

The timing tuner also has a window switch , which comes in handy if you dont want to spray during shifts.

I think its a nice peice, I like it for safety, but I might be over cautious
Old 12-25-2006, 12:06 PM
Banned

so Is better to have it tune on spray, or N/A tune and Timing Tuner ??? $$$ vs HP ??
Old 12-25-2006, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by casado
so Is better to have it tune on spray, or N/A tune and Timing Tuner ??? $$$ vs HP ??
I have both a Timing Tuner and HP Tuners, for nitrous I like the TT and prefer having it over a dedicated nitrous tune all the time. Also the TT has a lot of versitility, you can advanve or retard your base and WOT timing for NA runs, there's a separate dial for nitrous retard (on the full throttle brand I have). What I'm saying is if you only have the money to do one get the TT, you can pull more timing later if you wanna spray even more nitrous, if you get a N2O tune you cant spray anymore safely unless you get another tune.
Old 12-25-2006, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

From T Byrne

....By shifting the crankshaft signal ahead or behind in time the spark timing in the engine is changed.
If T Byrne is suggesting that the Timing Tuner can advance timing, I think that is incorrect. My understanding on the Timing Tuner is that it can retard timing but it can't anticipate positive timing advance unless it is communicating with the ECU on the sensor input level. Simply put, the Timing Tuner delays a spark command but can't look into the future to signal a spark before it sees the command coming from the crank sensor.

What is actually happening is the crank signal is intercepted and the ECU is tricked into getting that signal measured milliseconds later than it would when the spark advance control is off. Of course this doesn't happen until the Timing Tuner gets a signal voltage to do it. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
Old 12-26-2006, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Another benefit of the TT other than its features of a window switch built in, delay activation of N2O for better hole shots and increased HP off the bottle but that it can help with fuel economy as well since the spark can be advanced and a more complet burn take place which in turn creates more power.