Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 08:56 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Z28M6
If T Byrne is suggesting that the Timing Tuner can advance timing, I think that is incorrect. My understanding on the Timing Tuner is that it can retard timing but it can't anticipate positive timing advance unless it is communicating with the ECU on the sensor input level. Simply put, the Timing Tuner delays a spark command but can't look into the future to signal a spark before it sees the command coming from the crank sensor.

What is actually happening is the crank signal is intercepted and the ECU is tricked into getting that signal measured milliseconds later than it would when the spark advance control is off. Of course this doesn't happen until the Timing Tuner gets a signal voltage to do it. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this.
I own the Full Throttle TT and according' to all the research I've done I'm under the impression that it can advance timing also. Please correct me if I'm wrong but if what I've read is true your wrong or Full Throttle needs to make a correction to their user manual and tell us what those advance settings do. http://i73.imagethrust.com/images/1R...er-page-4.html
Old 12-26-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the correction! That is what I was looking for. I'm sure what you pointed to in the link is correct, I just don't understand how it is done.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the correction! That is what I was looking for. I'm sure what you pointed to in the link is correct, I just don't understand how it is done.
No problem
Old 12-27-2006, 08:43 AM
TECH Resident

Do you have your Timing Tuner mounted inside the car or is it in the engine compartment? What I'm really wanting to know is if the harness has enough length to go inside the car or would this be too difficult to do....

Also, is there any chance that you can post a picture of the box with the lid removed? I want to see the controls but all the stock picture shows is the box with the lid in place. Even if you can describe what's under the lid would be some help.

I have been ready to buy one but can't find enough information other than the manual and a generic picture of the box for sales purposes. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The harness that comes with the timming tuner is only long enough to reach to the passenger side fender.

Here is the factory instructions with a inside shot of the unit.
http://www.fullthrottletech.com/atta...ttachmentid=82

We stock these units and they are here on our web site.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...product_id=965

We have installed a few of these units with no problems. The perk of the timming tunner is that you can run optimum timming N/A for your best hp gains. Then on Nitrous you can pull the needed timming for Nitrous.

With the timming tuner you can make adjustments to timming with out having to alter your computer tune.

Like stated above on stock applications you should be able to spray up to a 150 shot with no timming pulled.

The average rule of thumb is 2 degrees per 50. This is only a starting point for tunning. You will need to fine tune your car by reading spark plugs or monitoring with tunning hardware. Every car is different. The rule we use when tunning is normally like this. 4-6 degrees for 150 shot / 6-8 degrees for 200/ 8-10 for 250 etc. We came up with this as a starting point for modded cars from past tuning. There tunes all vary depending on engine combination.

I agree with what Robert said above. The best way to tune for NA hp is to start adding HP. When it gets to the point you are adding timming and only gaining a couple hp you are pushing yourself to a unneeded raged edge. Back off to your last best setting and then start tunning the nitrous.

Dave
Old 12-27-2006, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Do you have your Timing Tuner mounted inside the car or is it in the engine compartment? What I'm really wanting to know is if the harness has enough length to go inside the car or would this be too difficult to do....

Also, is there any chance that you can post a picture of the box with the lid removed? I want to see the controls but all the stock picture shows is the box with the lid in place. Even if you can describe what's under the lid would be some help.

I have been ready to buy one but can't find enough information other than the manual and a generic picture of the box for sales purposes. Thanks.
Yes Mine's in the center console. I extended the wiring harness, I can get you some pics but it wont be until tomorrow. I keep the lid off mine @ all times so I can adjust it and see the status lights.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys! I think I understand how the advance works from the picture of the inside. It's a WOT advance curve and the only thing I can guess at is there might be an extra spark command impulse after shutdown until the tuner sees a spark reduction from the crank trigger. The reason I doubted this in the first place is that I have a Mallory Hyfire on my LT1 which pretty much does it all but it can't advance the spark for the reason I expressed earlier.

Very helpful to know the wiring can be extended. Thanks for that. This really helps, thanks!