Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Filling Nitrous bottles

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cold Filling Nitrous bottles

What is the best procedure for filling 10# bottles using the freeze method? What about if you have a partially full bottle and you want to top it off, say 3# still left in the bottle? I purchased standup G-size Ny-Trous+ bottles, 660 bottle nut and a fill kit. Does it help to turn the small bottle upside down before filling and bleed off some of the air until visible gas comes out when you have a partially full bottle? How about a completely empty bottle, would it be best to hook my vacuum pump to it and evacuate the bottle before freezing? I don't have a deep freeze so my bottles are being frozen in the garage "beer refrigerator".

Last edited by Red Heartbeat; 05-09-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

It doesn't have to be frozen, just chilled. there is a point where any colder doesn't make a difference. I put mine in a empty 5 gal paint bucket, water and ice for 30 minutes. That is all it needs.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

I played around with filling the bottle last night. I put it in the freezer for 30 minutes then filled it as much as it would take. I then put it back in the freezer again. I am only able to partially fill the tank each freeze. It took 6 times to finally get up to 24.5 lbs per the bottle label. I'm sure I have a full fill but is there a better method other than buying a pump? The last time I had mine filled they froze the bottle for 30 minutes plus used a pump to fill it.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:33 AM
On The Tree

If the fitting under the valve on the botle is stamped, DT (drop tube) then you should not turn it upside down. As far as freezing the bottle never worked that great. Wait till the mother bottle bets low You can pull a vacuum on the bottle with an ac machine, but if you are going to really spray. BUY A PUMP!!! YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BUY IT FROM NITROUS COMPANIES save you money
Old 05-09-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tell me more! A pump would be nice though I have more time than money. If the price is right it may just be worth my while.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Launching!

There is somthing wrong or your mother bottle is verry low?

What size is your mother bottle?

Does it have a working sifon tube in it?

I never let mine get to low I toss them in the freezer when I get home and fill it the next day if I can then as soon as the scale hits 26 I close it.

Worst case with 4lbs left in the bottle I pop it in the freezer for as long as I can at least 20-30 mins and always get 9-11lbs.

It takes me 2 fills to for an empty bottle I put as much as it will take warm first then pop it in the freezer and repeate.

My mother bottles are in the hot garage too and when they get low it may take an extra fill or longer in the freezer.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

New Ny-Trous+ 56lb mother bottles. I assume they're syphon type since I asked for stand up bottles with syphon tubes. The bottles are filling, just slowly. I chilled my partially filled bottle all night long and still only got 4 lbs in it this AM. I'll finish filling it tonight, its in the freezer now. These are my first two bottles to be filled off of the new mother bottles weighing about 196 lbs full.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Red Heartbeat
New Ny-Trous+ 56lb mother bottles. I assume they're syphon type since I asked for stand up bottles with syphon tubes. The bottles are filling, just slowly. I chilled my partially filled bottle all night long and still only got 4 lbs in it this AM. I'll finish filling it tonight, its in the freezer now. These are my first two bottles to be filled off of the new mother bottles weighing about 196 lbs full.
I get 4 lbs in a warm bottle no problem????

Can you call and confim if it has the syphon tube? when its empty take it apart and ck, it could have come loose.

How long is the line from your mother bottle to 10lber? I use a 12" 4an line.

Are you getting white ice when you crack the line right after filling?

If not try tuning the mother bottle upside down or at least on its side then prop the bottom up a bit and see if you get a better fill.

What the air temp where your mother bottle is?

It has never taken more the two hits to fill an empty 10# bottle one warm and one cold/frozen.

Sounds like they are not getting cold enough make room in your kit freezer and try that, the bottles should be too cold to hold.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

The mother bottle is a rental and full of 56lbs of nitrous, so no taking it apart.
I have a 4' filler hose going to a check valve and then 6" hose to the bottle. Gotta have some length to get from the almost 5' high mother bottle to the 10# bottle on the floor/scale. I know pump stations use 2 4' hoses so confused if this makes a difference.
Yeah, I get white ice on the valve when I crack the line.
When I purge the system on the truck I get liquid, so I believe its a drop tube mother bottle otherwise I would not be getting liquid weight in the 10# bottle.
MB is stored in my garage and temps in there are from 85+F.
Chilling of the 10# bottle has been in my freezer/refrigerator. It sat overnight in the freezer so ever the liquid was below 32 degrees.

Keep the ideas coming guys. Maybe post the techniques you're using.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:26 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Heating pad around the mother bottle...
Old 05-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Launching!

Ditch the long lines and use a short 10-20" line direct from bottle to bottle put a cooler or somthing next to the mother bottle so it can reach.

I had the same problem with two shops around here even with a cold bottle and their POS pumps they could not fill a bottle.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:36 PM
Launching!

I just filled a bottle it had 3.5lbs in it (18lbs) I put it in the freezer for 50 mins and it took and 30 seconds to hit 24.5lbs mother bottle is half full and garage is 80 degrees.

Old 05-11-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

how much did you pay for the mother bottle including the rental fee?
Old 05-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Launching!

I paid 300 for two full bottles I "own" the bottles and just swap them out when needed but it was a friend of a friend hookup.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

$5 a month rental fee and $65 for 56 lbs. Corporate price.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:00 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

So then there isn't anything wrong with putting a vac pump on the bottle then to make sure its empty of air? Sounds great for an HVAC tech like me!

Quick Reply: Cold Filling Nitrous bottles