Sponsored by:

Help me decide how to spray the gills off the new daily driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help me decide how to spray the gills off the new daily driver

Hey guys,

I know this is yet another "help me decide thread" but i just couldn't resist making one. I have been using nitrous and reading in this forum for several years now.

Recently i picked up another car. Its a 98 TA 6-speed. Its going to be my new daily driver. I want to spray it fairly large for a stock longblock (eventually 200 or so) and it will most likely just have simple bolt ons. It will eventualy get a cam (maybe heads too), intake etc.

Right now the car is bone stock pretty much. It has 3.73 gears and an LS7 clutch.

I have always used Wet kits, i had a TNT F2 kit on my Z28, and now have a HSW 90mm plate on it. Loved them, but this time around i think i want to try DRY.

Items i currently already have that could help out:
EFI Live with an extra license
LC1 Wideband (never even opened it actually)
FJO 2 stage progressive controller
Several nitrous bottles
A couple dry nozzles (straight)

Im wanting to start out by seeing how far i can take the stock fuel system (not really a goal, just wanting to get something on their fast for the NMRA race im going to next weekend )

Im looking at HSW basic one or two nozzle dry hits. Im also looking at the Halo kit from Nitro daves.

I really dont need a full kit, i have half a dozen bottles already, and i have all the wiring and switches and such i need (plus the FJO controller makes me not need a window switch, WOT switch, or any of that)

What would you go with? I dont want this to turn into another pissing contest between Nitrous Outlet and HSW, but i want opinions please.

Im thinkin i could get by spraying 100 or so on a stock everything car. I dont have hardly any experience with EFI Live, but i do own it, so with a little bit of a learning curve maybe i could take advantage of COS5?

I would like to be able to pick up all the stuff i need for 200-300. I see the single nozzle HWS kit is $299 (gona call to see what it would cost with no bottle) and the Halo Kit from NO is $449 (again... would call to see about getting it with no bottle)

Im open to all opinions. I really want to stick with dry on this, if nothing else, just to learn something new.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you already have most the items I dought you need alot of the stuff that even comes with the system minus bottle. Our base Halo systems come wityh alot of accessories such as gauge, nhra fitting, blow down tube and Fpss.

I can work you up something in individual parts to what you need.

Personally I think there is no better option than the Halo on a dry system. Most of the time the airfuel will be pretty close to being dead on. In the event you need to tune alittle on the airfuel it will be easy to do so with what you already have. I dont see any reason why you cant get what you need for around what you are looking to spend.

Since your car is a 98 it has 28lb injectors with it being stock you may be able to get a 100 shot out of it with out upgrading injectors or fuel pump.. Just watch the injector duty cycle and fuel pressure.

Dave
Old 09-24-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Resident

I just sent you a list of what i think i need

How well do your NO solenoids work with progressive controllers? I may use a progressive controller down the road once i ramp it up to ~200 or so.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Returned your PM. You have quite a few options on the dry. The biggest questions that we should try and address are, is it going to be pre or post maf? And do you plan on using the progressive controller? I think at least answering those will greatly help to steer you in the right direction.

Nick
Old 09-24-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

I would like it to be pre maf for simplicity, but im not opposed to doing it other ways if thats better. Im new to the whole dry thing.

Right now i dont have the solenoid driver to use the FJO progressive. For right now it will just be a single 100 hit non-pregressive. If 200 once i get pump and injectiors is too hard of a hit to keep traction, i will either make it progressive, or turn it into two stages of 100.
Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28mccrory
I would like it to be pre maf for simplicity, but im not opposed to doing it other ways if thats better.
Sometimes it can be tricky to get a nice a/f going pre-maf. Not saying its impossible, but sometimes you need to spend time dialing it in. The nozzle are nice if you need to position or aim them, but I think its a heck of a lot easier flipping a switch for the proper a/f.

Nick
Old 09-25-2008, 09:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nick@HSW
Sometimes it can be tricky to get a nice a/f going pre-maf. Not saying its impossible, but sometimes you need to spend time dialing it in. The nozzle are nice if you need to position or aim them, but I think its a heck of a lot easier flipping a switch for the proper a/f.

Nick
I sent you an email in responce to your quotes. Lemme know what you think

THanks

Zack
Old 09-25-2008, 10:43 AM
10 Second Club

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

do u still have the stock graphite head gaskets? u pushed mine out on my first n2o pass with 150 hit
Old 09-25-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Resident

Motor is untouched so far.