Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Big Red Is Back!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Red Is Back!

The car will be at the Silver State Classic taking on all comers in mid May. (with their new 875hp 572) He challenged anyone & everyone to a 0 - 200 - 0 race. Fastest car takes the trophy. God I'd love to go see that!!! Anyone wanna go?
Old 04-17-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
The car will be at the Silver State Classic taking on all comers in mid May. (with their new 875hp 572) He challenged anyone & everyone to a 0 - 200 - 0 race. Fastest car takes the trophy. God I'd love to go see that!!! Anyone wanna go?
I'd absolutely love to blast down there in the T/A and check that action out That's the baddest **** ORR car there ever was. Nothing else quite like it. I wonder how they keep the tires on it ?
Old 04-17-2005, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, who would have thunk that the fastest EVER open road race car would be a 69 Camaro? Certainly not all of the Ferraris & such that he beat in 89 (& since)! 222 mph!!! THAT is fuggin FLYIN! And it has another 100hp now.

Nice article in Hot Rod magazine....thanks for the heads up Ellis.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had the old '89 or '90 Hot Rod mag that had a right up on it. It was the son driving it if I remember right and was basically a NASCAR vehicle in Camaro's clothes. What a car. So is everything the same except for the engine?
Old 04-17-2005, 11:36 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah I got that the day after Boyces little girl was born.

He says Big Red is and over rated pile of ****.

I think it would kick his damn *** any day of the week in any thing he will ever own

I am sure as soon as he see's this he will chime in with a Laundry list of Excuses on why it is a pile and everyone red neck and his brother is faster Blah Blah blah
Old 04-18-2005, 12:22 AM
TECH Addict

Let's see here ..... a perfect '69 Camaro Z28 body, no aero mods, painted to perfection. Mounted to a complete custom NASCAR style chassis with only the very best components that are available in suspension, brakes, fuel etc. It's heart is an aluminum Donovan block displacing 572 cubic inches that will turn 8000 rpm all day to the tune of 875 hp ...... Yep it's a POS alright lol !
Old 04-18-2005, 12:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Racehead
Yep it's a POS alright lol !
Sounds like it to me... Me and my hodgepodge of mismatched parts held together by hopes and dreams will whip him good.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:47 AM
10 Second Club

Let's see here ..... a perfect '69 Camaro Z28 body, no aero mods, painted to perfection. Mounted to a complete custom NASCAR style chassis with only the very best components that are available in suspension, brakes, fuel etc. It's heart is an aluminum Donovan block displacing 572 cubic inches that will turn 8000 rpm all day to the tune of 875 hp ...... Yep it's a POS alright lol !
Well, when you put it in that light, I agree Bill....it IS just a POS!!!

Reading that article, there isn't anything about the car that ISN'T impressive. The motor of course gets me wet. I love big block spinners. And in addition to being able to hit AND hold 8k, that is where the hp peaks. DAMN!

But then to tuck 335s on all 4 corners, make 1g turns, and stop fast from 200mph+, I mean what's NOT to love about that car? Well, OK, the interior looks like Boyces & Jasons, (hey, it's a race car) & maybe it's 60' times would be almost human.....
Old 04-18-2005, 08:32 AM
10 Second Club

well from what I am told it does not have near enough HP to contend with the "Big" boys

I would take that car any day of the week! That car and RJ are one of the BIGGEST reasons for the turn those races see today. You think this latest challenge is going to slow down competion and drive numbers down?

I think NOT!!!

I got a question. Who here has the ***** to stand on the brakes at 200 Mph NOT ME!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

I really like that article. The way the writer describes the sound of a high compression big block burbling over the italian v-12s gave me goose bumps.

There is one car that I would like to have that I would take on big red with. It's a kit car called the Ultima GTR. If I had $100k to play with, I'd be cruising in that.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:36 AM
10 Second Club

Yup those are nice. Boyce tried to get one a few years ago
Old 04-18-2005, 09:19 AM
10 Second Club

Well, when you put it in that light, I agree Bill....it IS just a POS!!!

Reading that article, there isn't anything about the car that ISN'T impressive. The motor of course gets me wet. I love big block spinners. And in addition to being able to hit AND hold 8k, that is where the hp peaks. DAMN!

But then to tuck 335s on all 4 corners, make 1g turns, and stop fast from 200mph+, I mean what's NOT to love about that car? Well, OK, the interior looks like Boyces & Jasons, (hey, it's a race car) & maybe it's 60' times would be almost human.....
I agree mark. nothing in the world is better than a high reving big block
Old 04-18-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
well from what I am told it does not have near enough HP to contend with the "Big" boys
875 hp and how much torque ? Who exactly is the big boy here again ?

I would take that car any day of the week! That car and RJ are one of the BIGGEST reasons for the turn those races see today. You think this latest challenge is going to slow down competion and drive numbers down?
15 yrs ago I was sitting at a buddys dads house and his dad plugged in the 1st, the original video of the SSCC into his surround sound enhanced system and we were transfixed on what they were showing. There were Ferrari's, Porsches, muscle cars and sports cars of all sorts wizzing past and I was amazed that such an event was legal ... and then they showed big red. Part of the video showed it blasting across the desert at 220+ mph @ 8000+ rpm. From hoizon to horizon just sitting there listening to the guttural scream of that BBC made the hair on the back of my neck stand up It is still the most awesome sound I've ever heard. It's the reason I do ORR today.

I got a question. Who here has the ***** to stand on the brakes at 200 Mph NOT ME!
Not me ! I think I'll just eease off very gently thank you very much
Old 04-18-2005, 10:14 AM
10 Second Club

Um, uh....count me out too! Letting off the gas all at once at that speed would result in big chunks missing out of my seat. I cannot imagine "standing on the brakes at 2 bills" as the article described it. WOWZERS!

But it would be fun to drive that car. I might be tempted to roll along leisurly at a buck 80 waiting for an exotic to roll up on my 6 & just goose it & walk away, let off to let him catch back up, then goose it & walk away again.....DAMN that would be some fun $hit.

PS My old 61 with the 402 would turn 7500rpm. A BBC at hi revs redefines the word roar!
Old 04-18-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

He says Big Red is and over rated pile of ****.
Nothing like being misquoted. I never once said it was a piece of ****. However I DID say that he would have his hands full if he came out to play with the big dogs now days.

I am sure as soon as he see's this he will chime in with a Laundry list of Excuses on why it is a pile and everyone red neck and his brother is faster Blah Blah blah
Yup, and here they come.

One thing alot of people dont realize (mainly because it was never publicisized) was the when R.J. made that run the length of the course was off by almost 6-7 miles. Once they did the math on this it dropped his average speed to the mid 18x range. Even the last few years, a 18x average wasnt anything to brag about in the UNL. class.

Considering the course record now stands at 207.89mph coming out and saying your going to smoke eveyone reminds me of a certain japanese team that said the same thing and met with not so great results. Trying to do that now days is going to be ALOT tougher. Biggest reason is the road surface down 318 is **** and getting rougher every year.

The car is an incredible piece of gear, I never said it wasnt. Its what got me into the sport. One thing that I find kind of funny is coming to an ORR event and challenging everyone to a 0-200-0 race, come on, ORR cars arent supposed to stop on a dime, they dont need to, so no one built a car to do that. If R.J. and his dad did, thats just super. But coming to and ORR event and throwing down like that would be like me or bill showing up to drag race and saying, "great 1/4 mile there buddy, but I bet I can get around the WHOLE track faster than you". Pretty lame in my opinion.

I know for a fact Doria has another monster almost ready to run. It might show in May or Sept. And it has the HP to shatter his own record that now stands. Both Mike Powers and Richard Hill both have cars that have pushed well over the 200 mark. Not to mention a couple of full blown NASCARS that I garauntee are much more aero dynamic tha the brick body styling of the 1st gen camaro. The Gotliebs will have thier hands full.

The Gotlieb car is the icon of the sport. Sad part about it is that it took a 15 year hiatus and became a "legend". things have changed, ALOT since they last ran. Running in the UNL. class at the speeds these guys are doing now days isnt something you just walk away from and jump right back into. Its not like riding a bike. You cant go to the salt flats and "practice" or out to the local road course and "practice". At best you can get a better feel for the car. And I am hoping that they have predriven the course prior to doing the day before the race. Maybe they will see what they are in for.
Old 04-18-2005, 12:17 PM
Loves to change spark plugs

Damn straight! POS! I wouldn't even park it in my driveway!
Shheesh. I'd be too busy driving it and trying to come up with gas $$!
Old 04-18-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
One thing alot of people dont realize (mainly because it was never publicisized) was the when R.J. made that run the length of the course was off by almost 6-7 miles.
Once they did the math on this it dropped his average speed to the mid 18x range. Even the last few years, a 18x average wasnt anything to brag about in the UNL. class.
Actually it was off by 2 miles making his actual speed average of 198 mph off by about 4%, or roughly 194 mph. This has still only been bettered about 3-4 times in the last 15 years by cars with unlimited aero work and by drivers who have run this course many, many times. R.J. ran it one time.

Considering the course record now stands at 207.89mph coming out and saying your going to smoke eveyone reminds me of a certain japanese team that said the same thing and met with not so great results. Trying to do that now days is going to be ALOT tougher. Biggest reason is the road surface down 318 is **** and getting rougher every year.
2 of the very best unlimited drivers today (Todd Carpenter and "Sasquatch" ) both say that this 207 average run was bogus. That puts the "real" top average speed right at 200 mph. This is with 15 years of practice and the very best aero work done on the cars. I'm not sure how you can compare an under achieving Japanese team with an idiot driver to R.J. showing up one day and averaging 194 mph in a stock bodied '69 Camaro ?

The car is an incredible piece of gear, I never said it wasnt. Its what got me into the sport. One thing that I find kind of funny is coming to an ORR event and challenging everyone to a 0-200-0 race, come on, ORR cars arent supposed to stop on a dime, they dont need to, so no one built a car to do that. If R.J. and his dad did, thats just super. But coming to and ORR event and throwing down like that would be like me or bill showing up to drag race and saying, "great 1/4 mile there buddy, but I bet I can get around the WHOLE track faster than you". Pretty lame in my opinion.
Big Red is NOT an ORR car, it's a Pro-Touring car that's good enough to challenge in the unlimited ORR arena, or an O/T arena for that matter. That's why it's relevant to issue a 0-200-0 mph challenge. It has to fill bigger shoes than just an ORR car does. I also disagree with ORR cars not being built to stop fast. "Some" of them aren't, but some of the very best are. Bud Ridnours unlimited 'Vette had 6 piston calipers and 15" rotors on it. I've seen more Baer and Brembo brakes at ORR events than at open track events. Pretty common stuff I'd say ? Your stated goal is to do 200 mph right ? You're not sticking with stock brakes are you ? I've got most of a Prospeed kit out in my garage waiting to go on your car, if you don't think great brakes are necessary, why don't you sell this kit and buy some other needed parts ?

I know for a fact Doria has another monster almost ready to run. It might show in May or Sept. And it has the HP to shatter his own record that now stands.
It's not Doria's record that now stands, it's Kelly Shafer's. Doria has a history of DNF by engine failure and by wrecking. granted he's had a few good runs too, but R.J.'s record of showing up once at 18 yrs old and mowing over the competition stands way above this. Even taking into account the "legend" factor

Both Mike Powers and Richard Hill both have cars that have pushed well over the 200 mark. Not to mention a couple of full blown NASCARS that I garauntee are much more aero dynamic tha the brick body styling of the 1st gen camaro. The Gotliebs will have thier hands full.
Yep there's some bad asses that are showing up no doubt about it. Any one of which could walk away with the record on the right day, but how fast have they ever gone in the past ? How many times have they ran ?

The Gotlieb car is the icon of the sport. Sad part about it is that it took a 15 year hiatus and became a "legend". things have changed, ALOT since they last ran. Running in the UNL. class at the speeds these guys are doing now days isnt something you just walk away from and jump right back into. Its not like riding a bike.
He just "jumped" into it the 1st time didn't he ? With 15 yrs less experience and 100 less hp last time. And what has changed so much besides safety gear standards ? Tires have improved dramatically, though they are still "thee" issue for any unlimited car.

And I am hoping that they have predriven the course prior to doing the day before the race. Maybe they will see what they are in for.
I'm sure they will, anybody would. I heard a rumor that they've pre-driven the course a long time ago ..... with a 194 mph average .............
Old 04-18-2005, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

All that aside, the fact that remains he holds the top speed of 222mph. No one else is even close. Who is in 2nd place @ 215? And you can't deny Big Red going WILL bring a LOT of interest back into the ORR scene. That is a good thing! (I'm sure we can all agree on this, yes?)

I am amazed that this kid RJ was able to just waltz in & run UL in an unknown car. I know his dad was racing ORR for a while in his Vette, but surely they wouldn't allow some 19yr old rookie to run UL first time out, would they? Did they? I'd like to see the kids bio before that race. Maybe they let him run cuz he had his ***** sitting in the back of a pick-up!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Actually Mark, Doria does still hold the fastest trap at 227mph. People have been faster (golder; 233mph) but havent done it through the certified area.
http://www.silverstateclassic.com/sp...icate-trap.htm
http://www.silverstateclassic.com/Re...-may-radar.htm
Old 04-18-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am amazed that this kid RJ was able to just waltz in & run UL in an unknown car. I know his dad was racing ORR for a while in his Vette, but surely they wouldn't allow some 19yr old rookie to run UL first time out, would they? Did they?
When he made that run it was back in the beginning of the ORR scene. There really werent a whole lot of rules. If you had a cage you could pretty much go as fast as you wanted. And there werent really any age requirements. Now I believe you have to be at least 21 to enter as a driver and at least 18 to navigate.

Quick Reply: Big Red Is Back!