Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Ellis i know you don't agree

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ellis i know you don't agree

After much thought and debate with my wife.
We have decided to go with a roll cage after the durango is fixed..The reason being I need to find a constructive outlet for my need for speed,As you have conveyd two me several times your afraid I will kill myself in that car.Street racing is stupid and dangerous I need to be on a track and or road race,In a semi controlled enviroment.I hope you understand I take your advice with alot of respect,Your concerns are valid no roll cage with the kids.The kids will never see the inside of car after it is installed...I drive it daily and race it daily.This just feels like the right thing to do.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

That will be Ellis's reaction when he reads this..
Old 07-08-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked the cage in my camaro. Felt safe and it was as stiff as a y-body with it in place. Good call.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:06 PM
12 Second Club

Steph,

I just went to the Speed Secrets Web site, I like the intro and the musice choice is great. So is my car not fast enough to be listed as a customer car?
Old 07-08-2005, 07:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
Steph,

I just went to the Speed Secrets Web site, I like the intro and the musice choice is great. So is my car not fast enough to be listed as a customer car?
Howard did all that...I just I need to get the car pictures and stuff sent to Him I'll start working on that tonight...I really need to get the NW F-body site back up and going...
Old 07-08-2005, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

slowpokez28,
You know what ? With the little amount of actual street racing that a guy can manage to get himself into even if he's trying hard, he's not going to get much. what you really need is to go do a race school and then go open tracking. You will NEVER come anywhere close to the "fix" that actually racing on a track will give you while racing on the street. PERIOD. After a street race have you ever felt physically drained ? Mentally washed out ? Get on a track and get your fill and then be happy. Don't try to fulfill the need for speed on the street because you never will. Somebody once said to me "you can't go TRULY fast on the street" and they were right. You simply can't hang it all out on the street. You're getting a cage anyway, go to the track and find out what many others before you did.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Racehead
slowpokez28,
You know what ? With the little amount of actual street racing that a guy can manage to get himself into even if he's trying hard, he's not going to get much. what you really need is to go do a race school and then go open tracking. You will NEVER come anywhere close to the "fix" that actually racing on a track will give you while racing on the street. PERIOD. After a street race have you ever felt physically drained ? Mentally washed out ? Get on a track and get your fill and then be happy. Don't try to fulfill the need for speed on the street because you never will. Somebody once said to me "you can't go TRULY fast on the street" and they were right. You simply can't hang it all out on the street. You're getting a cage anyway, go to the track and find out what many others before you did.
uh oh... What he said.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racehead
slowpokez28,

Yup I agree
Old 07-08-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good Post Bill...I think that's why he wants a cage, so that he can go to the Track...his car is very powerful..one run down the track and I know they will kick him out..he want's to be able to go there and play and not get kicked out...
Old 07-08-2005, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

DOn't feel bad Steve, my car isn't on there either...

And I agree with Bill. If you're gonna race, take it to the track where you can do it safely. Most street races you just get going & have to shut it down. On the track you can actually find out who the faster car / better driver is. ANd walk away!!!
Old 07-08-2005, 09:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Most street races you just get going & have to shut it down. On the track you can actually find out who the faster car / better driver is. ANd walk away!!!
Exactly, all the street races I have been in, while fun, are kind of like going out on a hot date ... and then going home Racing on a track is more like having breakfast made for you in the morning
Old 07-08-2005, 10:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also agree about racing at the track...and know how often he goes(never).

My problem is the fact that his car is a convertable and he has baby's. so if he puts in a bar they can NEVER EVER get in the car at all. Not even for an emergency. The belt bars would kill them in an accedent and the air bag would crush them.

Other then that I have no problems putting a cage in...
Old 07-09-2005, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Ellis has a valid point and we are determining how to approach that. We DO have another vehicle that is the family car, and currently the only reason we ever put the children in the Camaro is #1 to go to Seattle for Dr's appts (only the youngest usually goes with, since it is his doctor) and #2 the Durango currently needs some boo boo's fixed Even so, we don't put the kids in it often, and simply would not do it at all with a cage. More often than not, I take the broken Durango to town. Yes, emergencies happen, but reality is, we are already unable to take the car if this is the case because you cannot put 3 kids under 8 in a Camaro safely, and you sure can't put 3 kids and 2 adults in one.

As for never going to the track, this is for the same reason Steph pointed out. Since the car is a convertible and has speed mods (no longer "OEM Stock") the rules dictate that if it runs faster than 13.99 it must have a roll bar and driveshaft loop. This rule has always been a problem for us as far as track racing goes, because it wasnt until recently that it was changed to exclude pure stock vehicles from this equipment unless they are faster than 11.50; otherwise we would have raced it at the local track last year.

Above and beyond all, Tom has some very serious envy of the good times you all are having racing, and it is killing him to not be able to come join in a few times.
Old 07-09-2005, 02:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Keep it at the track dude. I can tell you from experience that track fee's are a HELL of a lot cheaper than buying your way out of a wreckless driving ticket with a lawyer...
Old 07-09-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Racehead,gearhead I looked into road rally's and other forms of speed pleasures What has always stopped me is I made the mistake of getting a CONVERTIBLE. All regulated speed sports dictates a roll cage is required so i'm locked out of these sports.
Racehead said go to race school, again Roll bar required for a convertible
I'm stuck betweena rock and a hard place at this point.Keep street racing and Upset Ellis and family ,Put a roll bar in it and upset ellis.Remove mods and race or get another car.

now if i could find another camaro in good shape that is in our budget I would do that and everybody would be happy.Wife would have her car I would have a car to race and ellis would be happy for a few reasons safer all around and he would make a buck modifying it.

And my wife was correct i'm very envious of you guys.I cant race except 1 pass and i'm sent away. Hehe i have all winter to figure something out

I know i will be on the track next yr one way or another.

On a side note those little ricer bums know my route when i drive to work and they always happen bye as i'm waiting at a stoplight 9/10 they wanna play so i play. But now YPD and state are showing up along side of the road. Are they waiting for me/us to do something wrong ,or is it just a freak thing?