Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Doug, sway bars......

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:20 PM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doug, sway bars......

here's who we were talking about on saturday at albertsons.

www.stranoparts.com

i think i am going to order the 35/22 hollow set eventually.

i like the 25" rear bar on the car when it's dry out, but going into a corner too hot when the roads are wet and slick the *** end comes out pretty fookin quick, you gotta be ready for it. i ended up 4 wheel drifting through a quick set of S turns at the county line exits last week. it was fun, but it caught me off guard.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO keep the factory rear sway bar.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Tech Addict

if a person did that and upgraded the front bar to a 35mm, would the *** end still be all rolley polley like mine was with stock bars?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

The 35mm front and the stock rear is an excelent combo. It is what I run on my car and it is rock solid. The stock rear bar gives it just enough flex to bite on the tires. To much more of a rear bar w/ street tires is just to stiff IMO. Just by putting the 35mm up front it will tighten the entire car up. If you can go the hollow 35mm up front it would be even better. Less unsprung weight.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

i think theres a 15-20lb difference in the hollow vs solid front bar.

so is the stock rear on a non ws6/ss 19mm or 17mm? I guess I could measure when I get home but thats not the point of wasting time at work.

what's the stock front size? I have marks front bar to install and it's ~one eighth inch thicker than the stock bar on my formy.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

A little more tech for you.

As you increase the size of the rear bar you are decresing the amount of lateral force you can put on the tires because the rear will not give it enough flex. This of course is a fine line. You dont want so much flex that the car feels sloppy in the rear.

The stock SS and WS6 rear bar is 19mm if I remember right. IMHO and a few others this is about the perfect size for body trasition while still giving the car some stiffness.

Generally speaking you want the largest front sway bar you can stuff under the nose of the car. You dont exactly want a piece of sewer pipe under it but you get my drift. The 35mm and the 19mm seems to be the best combo for the late model Fbodies. But once you start messing with aero and weight reduction alot of this can be changed around to suit your needs.

My car with the 19mm bar coupled with the LG spoiler give me incredible feel in the rear of the car. I also know where the "breaking" point is when its going to start coming around on me.

You cant look at sway bars as the "fix" for handling. It is a combonation of everything, springs, shocks, weight, aero etc. You will notice an increase immediately on how fast the car responds to steering inputs and how "tight" it feels with just the front sway bar. You can also "tune" your suspension by tightening the end links or loosening them. For best results just set them as the builder reccommends. W/ a 35mm front sway bar you want about an "1 - "1 1/2 of threads sticking out of the top of the end links.

To really help the rear of our fat bodied cars a good set of Bilstien HD's will take it leaps and bounds ahead of where is was.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:04 PM
10 Second Club

DISCLAIMER - Boyce of course is talking purely about road racing apllications. When it comes to drag racing, the bigger the better on the rear sway bar. Helps keep both ends of the rear axle level.

And some people have said, with lots of arguements from guys like Lou G & Sam Strano who know what they are talking about, that a big rear bar also works well with 315s in the corners. I like mine now with the 35 up front. It's better than it was with the 32 I gave you Rick. (which is better than the 29 you have)

But I will not get rid of my 25 on the rear, because I LOVE the way the car launches. And I have grown used to how it handles. Maybe I will change my mind after the PR Driving Class.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Just a little more tech Boyce? I want more!

I knew about the larger bar for draggin, im thinkin the 22 might be the best compromise for a double duty car. Meanwhile I'll be installing that 32mm and see how it handles.......

So my stockers were 29 up front and 17(?) in the rear. I measured my stock rear and it was ~11/16, I think that converts to 17mm. Were the 32/19 combo's only on the ws6/ss model lines. Is this the LE1(?) suspension line?

I've been looking into new shocks and springs. but for that cost i could get a 5177 kit and be on the nw top 10.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:29 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm a fan of the 25mm rear sway bar for drag racing as well... last year, I'm sure many of you saw how my car walked all over the track, sometimes even from the launch. This year, with the 25mm rear sway bar, the car stays pretty much even from launch, all the way down to the traps.

Now, I'll find out just how much of a detriment that is to handling when I go do the driving class in August... I'm going to get the hollow Strano 35mm bar before then, so I'll see how it all feels. I know when I hit corners now with the SLP 1LE bar up front, it feels more like the front end wants to dive to the outside of the curve, while the rear end wants to kick around. Hopefully the bigger front sway will fix some of that.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
Now, I'll find out just how much of a detriment that is to handling when I go do the driving class in August...
I'll spare you the suspense. I boiled my rear diff oil at spokane raceway with that rear 25mm bar and 35mm bar up front. You won't be able to put any power down out of turns 2, 3b, 5a, and through 5b. It might be ok in 6, but you'll have to watch it.

In short, your day's gonna suck with that rear bar on the roadcourse.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by narcszm
I'll spare you the suspense. I boiled my rear diff oil at spokane raceway with that rear 25mm bar and 35mm bar up front. You won't be able to put any power down out of turns 2, 3b, 5a, and through 5b. It might be ok in 6, but you'll have to watch it.

In short, your day's gonna suck with that rear bar on the roadcourse.
Heh... well that's good to know. At the very least, I'm gonna swap out my gear fluid for some Amsoil Severe Service racing fluid. And good info about the turns... especially with my drivetrain setup, the power goes RIGHT into the tires... my clutch hits hard (McLeod Twin Disk), and the suspension is set up to immediately push power to the ground, no slack, no hop, nothing.

Might decide to put my stock rear bar back on if I can find my endlinks and all that...
Old 07-11-2005, 06:59 PM
Tech Addict

you can use the endlinks that you are using now. that shouldn't be an issue as long as they are the stock length.

Has anybody heard about cutting the spacer bushing on the rear endlinks the same amount your car has been lowered?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
you can use the endlinks that you are using now. that shouldn't be an issue as long as they are the stock length.

Has anybody heard about cutting the spacer bushing on the rear endlinks the same amount your car has been lowered?
I actually have a rear sway bar relocation kit to fit the larger rear sway bar with my fat *** 12 bolt... it's basically just longer endlinks with bigger u-bolts.

Which brings up a good question though... since I have a heavier aftermarket rear end, the bigger rear sway bar seems to help control the lateral movement of that heavy assed rear. The stocker just seemed way too overmatched for it... I dunno, that's just the way it felt to me.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

You may have touched on a good point Jason. With a heavier rear end, and/or bigger back tires, do you "need" a bigger sway bar to match/compensate? That might be why my car feels so much better now. If you look at Bills or Boyces or any of Sams & Lous cars, they do not have all that beefy drag race **** hanging off their ***-ends.

But then part of my problem is I grew up driving drag race cars, so I am used to how that kind of suspension handles. A road race car probably feels sloppy to me. BUT, given a few hours of seat time in Boyce's or Bill's car would probably convince me to change things around....for road racing. Feel free to volunteer guys!

I dunno. I would REALLY like to make the Aug play date @ PR with y'all & see just how good my car holds up to Bills. (tho the driver mod will obviously be in favor to the blue car) I am just amazed how good it feels now after the 35mm front bar!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
A road race car probably feels sloppy to me. BUT, given a few hours of seat time in Boyce's or Bill's car would probably convince me to change things around....for road racing. Feel free to volunteer guys!
I dunno, I think you might find that our cars are pretty damn stiff. Especially mine. You feel EVERYTHING those tires go over. If it ever runs again I'll throw you the keys and show you what I mean.

EDIT: Might have to bring some crisco to grease up the ole hips to get in that thing, I crawled in it last night and forgot how much of a bitch it is to get in and out of!

Quick Reply: Doug, sway bars......