Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

I got myself in a mess while changing catbacks.

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I got myself in a mess while changing catbacks.

I read a whole bunch about swaping exhausts and all that, and they said to lift the car like 3 feet up, which i did, but it still didn't work as you can see. I couldn't get it out. I was really pissed. but anyways, i went to a place with a lift, and it was worth it. Now I got ZO6 TI on the car. Onto the next mod....headers or intake?
Attached Thumbnails I got myself in a mess while changing catbacks.-vette.jpg  
Old 04-09-2006, 01:47 PM
Tech Addict

I'd say you'd get more HP out of headers vs. an intake.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Yeah... Supercharger or zip tie mod, what to do..
Old 04-09-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
I'd say you'd get more HP out of headers vs. an intake.
And better sound, more fun, less headache on the install........etc etc.
Old 04-09-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rottluver
less headache on the install........etc etc.
Have a feeling that won't be an issue
Old 04-09-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Poik
Have a feeling that won't be an issue
Old 04-09-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themindfield
I read a whole bunch about swaping exhausts and all that, and they said to lift the car like 3 feet up, which i did, but it still didn't work as you can see. I couldn't get it out. I was really pissed. but anyways, i went to a place with a lift, and it was worth it. Now I got ZO6 TI on the car. Onto the next mod....headers or intake?
Of course it didn't work in the driveway Those baby jackstands don't get anywhere close to three feet. They don't even extend 2 feet up!

I'm glad you access to a lift and were able to finish, though!

I've got a set of "Truck/SUV" jackstands that let you get a decent height but it still falls short of the space you really need to work. Maybe 20 inchs before it gets scary!
Old 04-09-2006, 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CHarris
Of course it didn't work in the driveway Those baby jackstands don't get anywhere close to three feet. They don't even extend 2 feet up!

I'm glad you access to a lift and were able to finish, though!

I've got a set of "Truck/SUV" jackstands that let you get a decent height but it still falls short of the space you really need to work. Maybe 20 inchs before it gets scary!
I was wondering about that 3 feet thing but didn't wanna say anything.
I have some nice stands that lifted my TA up far enough to easily install LT headers but I try to avoid using them on an inclined/declined driveway.
Old 04-09-2006, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Yea, you're right, it wasn't three feet up, but I got scared to lift it up any higher. No ***** i guess. The lift made things really smooth. it took my wife and I 30 minutes to get the old one off and put the new ones on. I am trying to read as much as I can about putting headers on, so that I don't end up getting stuck again. specially with headers....could get ugly.
Old 04-09-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Yea, you're right, it wasn't three feet up, but I got scared to lift it up any higher. No ***** i guess. The lift made things really smooth. it took my wife and I 30 minutes to get the old one off and put the new ones on. I am trying to read as much as I can about putting headers on, so that I don't end up getting stuck again. specially with headers....could get ugly.
Never done em on a Vette, but the ones on my LS1 F-Body weren't that difficult....just takes 2 people and about 4-8 hours depending...........obviously I am no pro at it.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, headers on Vettes & GTOs LOOK easy, until you find out all the stuff that has to get dropped (like the rack & pinion). Ask Ellis, he's done a bunch of them. Better yet, have him do it for you.....I hear he likes bleeding.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

yea, it wasn't hard at all, once the car was on a lift. It literaly took 40 minutes or so. it just needed to be high up in the air, that's all. I am reading about the header install, and I am not liking it very much...lol. Lots of stuff to remove. Why can't **** be simple like unbolt this and bolt the new on? anyways, I will be sure to post pics when i am stuck with one exhaust manifold half way out.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:03 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought they(vette) were easier than an fbody
Old 04-10-2006, 08:29 AM
On The Tree

I think everything becomes hard when you're trying to do it in the driveway...lol
Old 04-10-2006, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think everything becomes hard when you're trying to do it in the driveway...lol
no doubt
Old 04-10-2006, 02:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Umm Vette headers are a Joke, at least the LG's that I installed and uninstalled. Removing the stock setup is harder than the header install. You don't need to jack up the car as high as if your are removing the cat back though. the passenger side comes in from the top.

Really you need some big **** jack stands and some ramps, and a really good jack I have it down to a science but then I can't leave cars alone.

But paying a regular shop for a header install would be alot of money. Ellis may hook you up, hell if you get LG's you could drive your vette down here I'd give you a hell of a deal

Cam install......thats a different story that is a lot more work than an F-body but again not hard..

If you ever have any questions I'd be happy to help.

Bobby
Old 04-10-2006, 07:44 PM
On The Tree

Yea I think I might do both the headers + off road X, and the intake at once. It would be nice to get someone to help me out, that's for sure...i was a mess trying to switch catbacks, I am sure with headers it's going to be really ugly....lol
Old 04-10-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL if you got into a mess doing cat backs then yes you probably want someone to help you with the Headers and even the intake depending on which one you run. Cat back on a vette is actually really easy once you get the hang of it but if your doing the stock stuff taking it to a shop with a lift is the way to go. After market have connections that don't make you have to lift the car up so high.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on the headers you buy some can be installed from the top. Regardless, Bobby is right about the headers on these cars being cake to change. The only time the rack and pinion needs to be dropped is if your doing a cam change. From what I have read that is not too difficult provide you have the right setup in which to do it. I will not try that one myself though.
Old 04-10-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by ram-it
Depending on the headers you buy some can be installed from the top. Regardless, Bobby is right about the headers on these cars being cake to change. The only time the rack and pinion needs to be dropped is if your doing a cam change. From what I have read that is not too difficult provide you have the right setup in which to do it. I will not try that one myself though.

Its not that bad Eric, the hard parts of the cam swap are the same on the F-body you just need to unhook the rack and move it to the side. Doesn't require any special tools, although the Z's have a steering cooler which make it a little more of a PITA.

Quick Reply: I got myself in a mess while changing catbacks.