Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

A question on headers for anyone who has the time/patience to try and answer me... LO

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question on headers for anyone who has the time/patience to try and answer me... LO

Okay, so I'm looking at getting a set of long-tubes here mid Summer and I don't want to spend a TON, but I also don't want to go el cheapo and have a shitty set of headers.

I really don't know the difference between the majority of the brands, and I also don't know what to do as far as installation. I don't have a lift or anything close to it, so I'm going to assume I should take these to a shop. Anyone have a good reccomendation. I got one quote of like $650 to just install the feckin' things! Ugh.

If it's really that expensive to install these headers, then I'll probably pass--20HP isn't worth a grand to me.
Old 04-29-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a quote from Ellis or another shop? If not Ellis... ask Ellis
Old 04-29-2006, 09:49 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CHarris
Is that a quote from Ellis or another shop? If not Ellis... ask Ellis
Call Ellis (Speed Secrets, TwoFast4Lv) he will install them AND tune your car. And I'd get PaceSetters if you want the best "cheap" header. They are around 1/2 the price of the "good" ones (Kooks, QTPs, PPCs) and fit & perform well.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I have Pacesetters and they haven't given me much of a problem. Drivers side floorboard clearance may need to be adjusted to prevent banging though. If you don't have much experience working on cars then I suggest you take the car to Ellis.
Old 04-29-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I'm going to get flamed here, but oh well. I think it REALLY depends on your goals for the car, and emissions. If you are building a race car or even a car that you plan on going to the track 10 times a summer then Pacesetter longtubes are probably the best bang for buck.

If you are building a street car with ocassional fun at the track and money was really tight, I'd look at the Camaroz28 board for a set of used Macs for like 250. I had Macs on the 93 fit was excellent and the coating lasted fine ( I think coating take a lot harder hit on the east coast). The car with a hot cam and home ported heads made 350rhwp and like 365rwtq. and ran mid 12's on street tires. It also passed the sniffer test with those headers and a mac cat.

As far as installation, if you plan on modding your car I suggest you install them yourself. The first installation is no big deal really if you pay for it, but as you get going down the line you save a ridiculous amount of money if you learn how to do it yourself. Headers is not rocket science and just requires patiences and a few pints of blood and skin graphs

If you don't plan on going all out or just do not know the first thing about working on cars and do not have tools Ellis is top notch and one of the VERY VERY VERY few that I would trust one of my cars with completely. His prices are very reasonable. If you are in Seattle area there is not a reason to go anywhere else.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will either get some pacesetters or a used set of coated MACs. I'll def. have Ellis install them if I get them. . .

I know a fair bit about working on cars, but after changing plugs/wires on the old LT1 I'm a bit hesitant to do some things (headers included). I can do the basics, change oil, etc, but I just don't know if I have the patience and/or equipment. I'll have to message Ellis and see how much he'd charge. DEF. someone I trust, and I owe him big for getting me that missing center cap
Old 04-29-2006, 11:55 PM
Banned

I'd suggest just trying to install them yourself. It may be some work but if you can turn a wrench to the left and get the nose up high enough it's pretty easy overall.

Nate
Old 04-30-2006, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

if you waited to do the plugs/wires.. it would've been soooo much easier with the manifolds out
Old 04-30-2006, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nathan
if you waited to do the plugs/wires.. it would've been soooo much easier with the manifolds out
Wish I could've! I bought the car from a friend and it had what looked to be the original plugs/wires in in @ 100k!!! The mechanic who 'tuned up' the car six months before told him he changed the plugs, but it looked like all he did was re-gap a few. . . UGH

The car started to misfire (gee, wonder why? ) and I had to do something...