Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

The Lotus Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Lotus Experience

As some of you know, Proformance Racing School is now officially The Lotus Experience. Today was a perfect day for it!

Yekta and I were there, along with at least 3 each of Lotus, M3, STI, Cooper-S and 350Z. There were also a pair of new Z06s, one old 5.0 Mustang, an exotic(not one I recognized), an Audi S8, an S2000, a Supra, and a few other odds and ends.

For both Yekta and I it was our first time back since our original newbie course.

My day started out rough. It had been a while, and I really needed to refresh myself to both the course and to the limits of my car. Once I had a full session with my instructor I was off by myself. Traction control came off, and I really pushed myself and the car into new territory.

It's a great feeling when half way through the day you go from being one of the slow guys on the track, being passed regularly, to being one of the faster cars out there. My last session I was only passed once, by a Lotus being driven by someone who clearly knew the car well. On the other hand, I was passing many of the same people who were passing me earlier in the day.

I definitely still have lots of room to improve. I have a hard time consistently doing well. One lap I'll hit a particular turn perfectly, then the next I'll come in too hard, or maybe steer a bit too much, or any of the other things that you have to keep track of.

The final proof of how much further I had come is the tires. After my first time out they were a bit melted(to be expected), but no real tire damage. This time, my tires were fine until my last two sessions. In those last two sessions I did this:
Old 05-30-2006, 10:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool, glad you had fun. Any pics?
Robert
Old 05-30-2006, 10:45 PM
TECH Addict

"The lotus experience"? WTF? Does it come with a massage now? (Too bad its named after that ugly little car rather than some kama sutra stuff...)

Sounds and looks like you had a blast regardless of the name! Cool!
Old 05-30-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That certainly was a blast, but ended bad for me! Clutch was slipping during the track so I didn't push it, no full throttle actually no more than 50% throttle... But still after i got back home, clucth doesn't engage

ask if I knew the result was gonna be like this would I do it? HELL YEAH

i finalized the DVD before transferring them into my pc I totally forgot, so I can't post videos, sorry

Old 05-31-2006, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

Sounds like you had a great day.
Old 05-31-2006, 12:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by yekta
i finalized the DVD before transferring them into my pc I totally forgot, so I can't post videos, sorry
You just need the right software. If your computer will play the DVD, then it can be captured. Try Xilisoft DVD Ripper. That's what I use for my finalized DVD-RW handicam discs. It copies into .avi which can then be edited with Windows Movie Maker and saved in smaller .wmv format for e-mail or upload.

If you don't want to pay for the software(it's like $35 for the full license...the free version will only do clips up to 5 minutes), then maybe you can come over tomorrow(wed) and I can burn a copy of your disc. Or, if you have a DVD burner I can bring a blank disc to your place and we can copy it.

Let me know, I really do want a copy even if you just mail it to me.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Crisisman
You just need the right software. If your computer will play the DVD, then it can be captured. Try Xilisoft DVD Ripper. That's what I use for my finalized DVD-RW handicam discs. It copies into .avi which can then be edited with Windows Movie Maker and saved in smaller .wmv format for e-mail or upload.

If you don't want to pay for the software(it's like $35 for the full license...the free version will only do clips up to 5 minutes), then maybe you can come over tomorrow(wed) and I can burn a copy of your disc. Or, if you have a DVD burner I can bring a blank disc to your place and we can copy it.

Let me know, I really do want a copy even if you just mail it to me.
Hahah yes I want to come over but my clutch wouldn't let me I will find some freeware like that, just too busy try to get my car running now
Old 05-31-2006, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

are you sure that's "normal" track tire wear? what kind of tires are those? what kind of pressures did you run?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by longdaddy
are you sure that's "normal" track tire wear? what kind of tires are those? what kind of pressures did you run?
They always tell new drivers to go 5lb(stone cold) above street pressure to save your sidewall. So, I started at 40psi(cold), which was about 48psi by the end of the first session. It was too slick at that pressure, and my instructor had me take 5lb out, so I ran the rest of the day at around 42-43psi(hot)(35-36psi cold), which is what I run on the street. My sidewalls show no scuffing at all, so the pressure was enough to understeer rather than roll the sidewall, which is good.

The tires are Falken 451. They're mid grade street tires, but better than the stock KDWS. They've lasted about 10k street miles, plus two trips to the track. My instructor says I could get away with another session on these tires if I swap front-left with front-right. They're directional, but he said that only affects wet traction(water channelling). As long as I switched them back for street use it should be alright.

I have considered putting the stock wheels/tires back on for lapping, just to use them up. Traction won't be as good, but it's rubber I wasn't planning on using anyhow.

If you have anything to add, I'm all ears!
Old 05-31-2006, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like you guys had a great time! I can't wait to go out on the road coarse again. I went with my 99 C5 a couple yrs back and had a freakin blast!!
Old 05-31-2006, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Crisisman
My instructor says I could get away with another session on these tires if I swap front-left with front-right. They're directional, but he said that only affects wet traction(water channelling).
u can get them unmount, change front to left and left to front by reversing the tires
Old 06-07-2006, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...61464206146696

here is a video from the day, not so good tho
Old 06-07-2006, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

The guys that do go to the track lead the way for all the posers drag, road race what ever! it is simply the highest form of the art! great job and I guess you know losing the clutch while disapointing is still,..............LUCKY!!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good! I am going to go back here later this month and hopefully a couple times in July. Afternoon lapping sessions are good enough. Anyone game?
Old 06-08-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm aiming to return on Monday, August 21st. Between now and then I need to check my alignment and swap front tires.

I can't wait to see the BIG video, this just whet my appetite!

Who do we have to bug to get it approved faster??? Gearhead? Ryan?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Veteran

You mean play the whole vid? I need to double check what the max is right now the site will host, most of it is server space and keeping it from crashing. Seems like we need to find a dedicated site to host vids from folks here and Howard has the mad skilz to get them formatted and up.

Anyone have a spare website?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yekta already uploaded a 105mb mpeg and is awaiting approval on it. I plan on downloading it when it is available. My ISP won't take a 105mb e-mail attachment...
Old 06-08-2006, 02:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Go to Cnet and download winzip. You can get the vid from there and send it out again with the larger mb files.

The mods in the video forum are the only ones that can approve hosting it here - I still have a broom in my hand
Old 06-08-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Regular

well, I went there again this tuesday and had a blast... I had some trouble with pressures in my new tires, was drifting in every other turn for a few laps and one of the instructors walked me through getting the pressures right and figuring out when to pull off for cooldowns.

proformance guys really know their stuff! the events run very smoothly and they are very safety consious. we had an oil spill and they handled it very professionally, we were back on the track within 10 minutes. I am thinking about going with them to the thunderhill at the end of july.

met a guy "Frank" in a g35, he was taking pics and promised to send me some, I'll post.
Old 06-08-2006, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by longdaddy
well, I went there again this tuesday and had a blast... I had some trouble with pressures in my new tires, was drifting in every other turn for a few laps and one of the instructors walked me through getting the pressures right and figuring out when to pull off for cooldowns.

proformance guys really know their stuff! the events run very smoothly and they are very safety consious. we had an oil spill and they handled it very professionally, we were back on the track within 10 minutes. I am thinking about going with them to the thunderhill at the end of july.

met a guy "Frank" in a g35, he was taking pics and promised to send me some, I'll post.
sounds like another blast Keep us posted, wanna see the pictures...

What kinda tires were you running?

Quick Reply: The Lotus Experience