Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

A beautiful day lapping at Pacific

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A beautiful day lapping at Pacific

Today was another great day doing laps. "Seattle CTS-V"(Tom) was there from this forum. He mostly watches the CTS-V sub-forum. He's got one mean Magnacharged machine.

I had a blast, as usual, but with more excitement as I got really intimate with the driver's-left embankment of turn 3B. I was in 2nd gear, doing about 35mph and the 240sx in front of me signalled to allow me to pass. I'd been on her tail for a couple laps, so I was itching to pass. Needless to say I made a dangerous combination of moves...turning left to get clear while jabbing the accelerator to overtake her(never jab...always squeeze ) According to Tom, who was right behind me, it was a beautiful stunt man 180 followed by a graceful slide right into the loose dirt and gravel. The result was a stalled car, a mouthful/carful of dust/debris, and a trip to Les Schwab to clean all the debris out of lip of my right side wheels. Fortunately the bead didn't break, so I was ready to return to the track only about 90 minutes later.

The good news, no body damage. The bad...my wheels are a total mess, scratched like someone had shot them with a shotgun. They are still true, however, so I can have them refinished or powdercoated and they'll be good as new. I will, however, need my alignment adjusted.

I did not win the prize for biggest wipe-out of the day.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BTW, I'll post a link to some video as soon as I can get it edited and uploaded.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ouch! Glad its all okay in the end! It doesn't even make you think twice about going back does it? That's whats so great about lapping... but also heartbreaking sometimes. I miss it...
Old 08-22-2006, 02:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CHarris
It doesn't even make you think twice about going back does it?
I learned from it and am now a safer/better driver for it. What would scare me would be if something like that happened and I couldn't identify the reason and learn from it.
Old 08-22-2006, 03:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Link to 3 minute video.

Enjoy!
Old 08-22-2006, 08:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Crisisman
I learned from it and am now a safer/better driver for it. What would scare me would be if something like that happened and I couldn't identify the reason and learn from it.
That's it exactly! The drive to get out and do it right the next time! For a moment (okay... maybe the next lap) you're pissed that it happened... then once you get it right its all GOOD again!
Old 08-22-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Veteran

That ol' 'learning curve' is tough on wheels!
You know it could have been worse but no fun on the rims. I think its a blast you are hitting it with the GTO
Old 08-22-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Regular

yeah, following someone for a while is the worst. you start fixating on the car ahead and itching to pass it, instead of driving your own car, I have experienced that myself.

great to hear it turned out ok for you, there are a lot of trees in that area of the track
Old 08-26-2006, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a few pics courtesy of "Seattle CTS-V".

Quick Reply: A beautiful day lapping at Pacific