Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Fast Track Lunch

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fast Track Lunch

(Longish)

I just got back from Pacific, where Proformance Racing School has just introduced a new "event" called the Fast Track Lunch. It's basically 1 hour on the track(12-1) for up to 10 people for $100. (this is a new thing and the price may drop if they have trouble filling the spots at this price)

Yesterday was the first time they offered it, and they had 1 person show. He didn't get to drive, however, as just as he went out on the track a tree fell across the track between turns 4 and 5a!

Today I was the only customer and so became the first official Fast Track customer. I must say, it was really nice to have the whole track to myself!!! It allowed me to experiment with the line and my shift points without having to worry about scaring the guy behind me.

Don joined me on the track for a while in the new Cobalt SS they have for rent. He wanted to give it a good track shakedown before putting a customer in the driver's seat. He told me afterwards that he was trying to catch me, but couldn't. I will say, those Cobalt's do look pretty nice for a small car. The seat looked similar in design to the GTO's, but smaller. I'm curious to know if the interior is tight and quiet 6 months from now.

My primary goals for the day were to measure the impact of the Hotchkiss on my corner speeds and control and to get a good feel for the GMM ripshift under full track conditions.

The Hotchkiss work great. The reduction in body roll helped me to control my steering better. I have gone to a modified steering position for 3a/b. 9-3 plus shifting just wasn't working for me. I also found myself going a couple mph faster through 3a/b before it started to push.

The GMM made shifting generally much easier. I found myself going all the way down to 2nd for 3a/b and all the way into 5th for 1. Doing the double downshifts while braking into turns 2(5th->3rd) and 3a(4th->2nd) is something that I would never do with the stock shifter. It is also VERY apparent that the GTO needs a good heel-toe kit. I would constantly squeak the tires on downshifts. Also, the tight gates means you have to pay attention to your shifting so you don't end up in the wrong gear. I did that a couple of times.

I also talked to Don and a couple instructors about corner speeds. They're the first to say that many people brag about making turn-ins at unrealistic speeds. Turns 1 and 2 especially. Stock cars hit turn 1 around 160mph and turn 2 around 85mph.

In my GTO, I find that I can just barely hit 140 at turn 1 if I go all out from the exit of 8 all the way through 1. It's scary as heck braking into 2 from that speed though. One time in particular I had pushed it full throttle through 1 and went for the rapid double downshift. 4->3 didn't work on the first try, and at those speeds by the time I got it in gear I was overshooting the turn-in point. I ended up not being able to hold the proper arc for turn 2 and went drifting a bit. The cool thing was that with the sways it behaved 100% predictably even drifting in the dirt!!! When the speed bled off a bit it came nicely back onto the track without missing a beat. I personally find 130mph to be a much more comfortable turn1 speed. Short shifting to 5th before turning in to 1 allows you to keep on the gas without getting too fast and without fear of hitting the rev limiter during the turn and upsetting the chassis. You want to brake to no more than 70 for turn 2. Anything more and the GTO starts to push.

I hope some of you found this educational. I'm very much looking forward to getting my new tires/wheels and being ready for the full day event on April 10th.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

130 into T1 is snooze time brother.......

Sounds like you had a good time. I might have to head out there one day and take a look at this.
Old 03-13-2007, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

I can sure confirm that 140 at turn 1 makes it hard for an '04 to make turn 2!!

I am so jealous.

Old 03-13-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Can't wait for the tenth now. If they are using Cobalts as the track car then it might be interesting squeezing my large frame into that small one.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is no way in hell I would pay $100 for one hour. IF they dropped it to $50 then maybe. Besides, for $150 I can go from noon to five so I fail to see the economics of leaving work for this. Glad you had fun though but I tend to find that I learn more with cars around me. And by 4 most people have left for the day so your by yourself. I will be there on the 10th if I still have my car.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ram-it
There is no way in hell I would pay $100 for one hour. IF they dropped it to $50 then maybe. Besides, for $150 I can go from noon to five so I fail to see the economics of leaving work for this.
This is what I've been hearing from everyone I've talked to about it. The primary reason I did it was because the weather was holding, I had the itch, the day off, the spare cash, and the desire to know if I needed to adjust my sway settings before the "big" day on the 10th. I told Don before I left that they should reconsider the pricing, and explained the math. He said he'd talk with Donna about it.

BTW, the prices of all events went up a bit this year. Right now this is how it breaks down (coaching fees are extra):

All day advanced lapping ~ 3.5 hours of track time - $195 - $0.93 per minute.
Half-day advanced lapping ~ 3.0 hours of track time - $175 - $0.98 per minute.
Fast track power lunch ~ 1 hour track time - $100 - $1.67 per minute!!!

At $60, $1 per minute, I would probably do this on a regular basis.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you join a club you can get reduced rates. Most people live far enough away from the track that they have to make a half day event out of a 1 hour session. Ain't happening here.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Crisisman
(Longish)

I just got back from Pacific, where Proformance Racing School has just introduced a new "event" called the Fast Track Lunch. It's basically 1 hour on the track(12-1) for up to 10 people for $100. (this is a new thing and the price may drop if they have trouble filling the spots at this price)

Yesterday was the first time they offered it, and they had 1 person show. He didn't get to drive, however, as just as he went out on the track a tree fell across the track between turns 4 and 5a!

Today I was the only customer and so became the first official Fast Track customer. I must say, it was really nice to have the whole track to myself!!! It allowed me to experiment with the line and my shift points without having to worry about scaring the guy behind me.

Don joined me on the track for a while in the new Cobalt SS they have for rent. He wanted to give it a good track shakedown before putting a customer in the driver's seat. He told me afterwards that he was trying to catch me, but couldn't. I will say, those Cobalt's do look pretty nice for a small car. The seat looked similar in design to the GTO's, but smaller. I'm curious to know if the interior is tight and quiet 6 months from now.

My primary goals for the day were to measure the impact of the Hotchkiss on my corner speeds and control and to get a good feel for the GMM ripshift under full track conditions.

The Hotchkiss work great. The reduction in body roll helped me to control my steering better. I have gone to a modified steering position for 3a/b. 9-3 plus shifting just wasn't working for me. I also found myself going a couple mph faster through 3a/b before it started to push.

The GMM made shifting generally much easier. I found myself going all the way down to 2nd for 3a/b and all the way into 5th for 1. Doing the double downshifts while braking into turns 2(5th->3rd) and 3a(4th->2nd) is something that I would never do with the stock shifter. It is also VERY apparent that the GTO needs a good heel-toe kit. I would constantly squeak the tires on downshifts. Also, the tight gates means you have to pay attention to your shifting so you don't end up in the wrong gear. I did that a couple of times.

I also talked to Don and a couple instructors about corner speeds. They're the first to say that many people brag about making turn-ins at unrealistic speeds. Turns 1 and 2 especially. Stock cars hit turn 1 around 160mph and turn 2 around 85mph.

In my GTO, I find that I can just barely hit 140 at turn 1 if I go all out from the exit of 8 all the way through 1. It's scary as heck braking into 2 from that speed though. One time in particular I had pushed it full throttle through 1 and went for the rapid double downshift. 4->3 didn't work on the first try, and at those speeds by the time I got it in gear I was overshooting the turn-in point. I ended up not being able to hold the proper arc for turn 2 and went drifting a bit. The cool thing was that with the sways it behaved 100% predictably even drifting in the dirt!!! When the speed bled off a bit it came nicely back onto the track without missing a beat. I personally find 130mph to be a much more comfortable turn1 speed. Short shifting to 5th before turning in to 1 allows you to keep on the gas without getting too fast and without fear of hitting the rev limiter during the turn and upsetting the chassis. You want to brake to no more than 70 for turn 2. Anything more and the GTO starts to push.

I hope some of you found this educational. I'm very much looking forward to getting my new tires/wheels and being ready for the full day event on April 10th.
Sounds like fun!! Give me some notice next time you go out. I might be able to squeeze a few laps in between patients!
Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 PM

Just curious but was the Cobalt the SS supercharged or non Supercharged (SS/SC have the big FUGLY wing)? What classes do you have to take befor you can do the lunch runs? How did you even find out about it...there is no info on the site.

Last edited by aja342; 03-14-2007 at 05:47 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds cool.

I plan to get out there this year. Nice write up!
Old 03-14-2007, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to go through their school or prove your experience with back-up paperwork before they will let you on the track.
Old 03-15-2007, 01:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aja342
Just curious but was the Cobalt the SS supercharged or non Supercharged (SS/SC have the big FUGLY wing)? What classes do you have to take befor you can do the lunch runs? How did you even find out about it...there is no info on the site.
It was most definitely the SS. Big SS letters on the badging and big FUGLY wing as well. I'm not sure what all the options are for the SS, but it clearly had leather sports seats too. Similar design to the GTO seat, but smaller dimensions.

Yeah Tom, for a schedule like yours that would work well. Work 'till 11. Get up to the track for 11:30 sign in. Hit the track for an hour. Be back in time for a 1:30 patient. Just tell your assistants to take a long lunch that day.
Old 03-15-2007, 04:42 AM

There are 2 versoins of the SS cobalt. One with a supercharger and one without.

Quick Reply: Fast Track Lunch