Eric Medlen dies

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 12:54 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Eric Medlen dies

This is off NHRA.com

Eric Medlen succumbs to injuries suffered in recent testing accident

Eric Medlen, 33, who had emerged as one of the most popular young drivers in the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series, succumbed Friday afternoon to injuries suffered when his race car crashed into a guardwall during a Monday test session at Gainesville Raceway. The talented Funny Car driver never regained consciousness. After being treated at the track, he was transported by ShandsCair helicopter to Shands at the University of Florida medical center where medical staff treated him for four days for a severe closed head injury.

"Eric Medlen was the son I never had," said team owner John Force. "He was the leader of my next generation of drivers. Robert Hight, my daughter Ashley, and I were with the family throughout this very difficult time. This loss is a huge blow not only to the Medlen family, but to drag racing and to John Force Racing."
Old 03-24-2007, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

I read this on NHRA.com this morning and was shocked. I never even heard that he had crashed. It was during practice run earlier in the week at Gainsville.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had been following this story all week... So sad, he was a real up and coming racer, and was a very nice guy from what I could tell at the NHRA Nationals here the last couple of years... always was willing to talk to the fans, shake hands, take pictures, etc.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Been tracking this all week as well and sad for his family to go through such an ordeal.

It goes to show this isn't just all fun and show - there is a true element of danger to racing of all kinds.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting here. I have not posted here but have posted a few times in the drag section.

Very Sad indeed.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:32 AM
10 Second Club

SO sad! I wonder when tracks will start putting in concrete on the 2nd half of the track? That seems to be where most cars get into trouble. The bump + the change in traction at the transition point (to asphalt) even cause cars that run 10s problems.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

RIP Eric
Old 03-25-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
SO sad! I wonder when tracks will start putting in concrete on the 2nd half of the track? That seems to be where most cars get into trouble. The bump + the change in traction at the transition point (to asphalt) even cause cars that run 10s problems.
I've always wondered why they don't. Does anyone know if there is a reason they don't? Also, I'm not sure about this, but I wonder if the SAFER barriers like in NASCAR would help at all.

Quick Reply: Eric Medlen dies