Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Moving to Oregon

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving to Oregon

Im moving to Eugene, OR from Phoenix, AZ the F-body crowd here is pretty large. I am hoping the same out there but it is a smaller town. Is there any local people who know the area that could recomend a good part of town to purchase a house I am being relocated in 6 months. Any help appreciated.
Old 06-04-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Well....don't get your hopes up too much, it most certainly isn't like Phoenix anywhere up here. Its mostly due to the 10 days of summer we have - and you just missed that.

Keep checking in though, couple of the guys down there check in from time to time
Old 06-04-2007, 01:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome!

Mike
Old 06-04-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The ''o''

Welcome I am actually working on trying to start an f body club here in town portland that is sooooo ya and by the way the weather is changing here so we are gettin about five months of awsome racing weather!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by GEARHED
Well....don't get your hopes up too much, it most certainly isn't like Phoenix anywhere up here. Its mostly due to the 10 days of summer we have - and you just missed that.

Keep checking in though, couple of the guys down there check in from time to time
Have ya been to Eugene? The summer is a LOT like AZ....hot and shitty!!!! Crappy lil college town with the highest concentration of mohawks on people I have ever seen!!! And the community theatre blows.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:12 PM
TECH Regular

Welcome to Oregon (soon)!

I live in Corvallis and Salem, which is about 40 & 60 mins away from Eugene. Everything in Oregon is near the I-5 corridor, which you'll be living next to. Eugene is an alright town, but it's mainly a smaller, hardcore liberal college town. If you're into that kind of ****.. you might REALLY like it (not me ) If you aren't into that ****, I suggest Salem! Eugene is home to the University of Oregon.. and thats about it, other than lots of spacious and open land. I enjoy Oregon--the weather is a lot more mild than PHX, and we don't have any god damn tarantula's (unless you bring them). If you need any additional info about the area (specifics, etc) just let me know.

Edit: By the way, are you coming here with employment already taken care of? I assume so, but if not, I can also provide information about the business climate.

OSUBraden
Old 06-05-2007, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Who'd you run with with the Phoenix crowd? I was down there a few years back with my white SS, that now sits in storage in Corvallis.

Being used to I-10, you are going to HATE I-5. Not just the 65 limits, but the grooves in the road as well.

Tom
Old 06-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Im pretty open to wherever, my wife has friends and family in Eugene so that is the main reason to head to that town but were open to anywhere that is in the vicinity. Im in a local union here in Phoenix as a crane operator so hopefully there is some work up there. Also just curious Ive heard Oregon is real environmental concious. How strict is your emissions if you guys even have it (hopefully not). Im very anxious to get out of the heat. The temp on my back porch reads 109 degrees right now.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:16 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by xlr857
Im pretty open to wherever, my wife has friends and family in Eugene so that is the main reason to head to that town but were open to anywhere that is in the vicinity. Im in a local union here in Phoenix as a crane operator so hopefully there is some work up there. Also just curious Ive heard Oregon is real environmental concious. How strict is your emissions if you guys even have it (hopefully not). Im very anxious to get out of the heat. The temp on my back porch reads 109 degrees right now.
I have a couple customers that are crane operators for a couple of different crane operations. They are constantly working up here in the local Portland area. As far as emissions go, you got lucky. Oregon recently dumped the IM240 or Bar 30 testing method. Which means its a static sniffer test rather than one that they put you on a small dyno where you accelerate and decelerate and they measure your emissions in grams per mile. Now you sit there they sniff the car idling and then they have you raise the idle speed to 2500 and they sniff again. For OBD2 cars its basically a simple plug into your OBD2 port, if you have no active codes and if there are at least three ready flags up in the PCM for the IM240 readiness status, you pass. We do however have a noise test, so if you have a car that is loud you may not pass, depending on the testing station they may or may not test for noise. I will say that most will, and if you go in with a cocky attitude I can gurantee they will test for noise and if the car is obviously modded or riced out they WILL find a way to flunk you.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

That's exclusive to the Portland area. Living in Corvallis/Albany I've never had to do anything emissions related on any of my vehicles.

Tom
Old 06-07-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah, I think they do it by County? Portland seems to always **** with their emissions stuff constantly (thanks to the liberal environmentalists) in ways that are totally not needed. I'm just glad I live in Salem(&Corvallis), the city farthest away from the two most radical and restrictive cities in the state (eugene and portland).
Old 06-07-2007, 09:12 PM
Teching In

There is not a huge car scene in Eugene, unfortunately. There are a few F-bodies around, so keep your eyes peeled. Emerald Valley Sports Car Club has autocross events regularly, which are fun. As I recall, there were several Camaros competing in them a few years back.
To the extent that there is a car scene, it is either civic hatches or classic muscle cars. If you head to the "Function in Junction," which is an annual classic car cruise in Junction City, you will see what I mean. During the rainy months, you could swear that you are the only enthusiast in the city. Once the sun comes, there are periodic cruize-ins where tons of really nice classic muscle cars gather.
As for emissions, Eugene has none. It seems counterintuitive to me, but the most liberal, tree-hugging city in the state has no car inspection of any kind.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

thats kinda funny that im in salem and getting my new camaro shipped to me for phoneix the only place that i see any f-body's is PIR theres a pretty bad T/A around here in salem never talked to the guy tho and theres no DEQ here either and braden we should get together and hunt down some prius's f'in libbys
Old 06-15-2007, 04:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I live in Eugene...I am actually in the process of getting rid of my trans am since I got a terminator. Car wise here it is really a ricer town. I can help you out if you need any advice...give me an idea of what your price range (house) is and I'll try to get you pointed in the right direction. I just moved out into the country from living in the middle of a subdivision here so I did quite a bit of home shopping.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

I am also going to be moving to Eugene Maybe we can meet up and be the only two LS1s haha.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

I may be moving there as well doesnt sound like a huge f-body crowd ! Any GTO's up there ? How are the jobs like up there ?
Old 08-14-2007, 03:32 PM
Banned

I say live in southern oregon if you can. Better climate (less rain), smaller towns, every type of recreation within just a couple miles, we have the best 1/4 track in Oregon, and the famous Rogue River. If you're looking for a house, and consider Grants Pass, I can get you into a brand new house with granite and the works for around $250k.