Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Hello from Pune, India

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 02:43 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hello from Pune, India

Yes, I'm all settled into my temporary home for the next two weeks in the lovely Sun & Sand hotel in the sprawling metropolis of Pune, India. I'm almost as far away as you could possibly get from the Pacific Northwest without leaving the planet.

I'm going to have a lot of pictures to share here shortly... I think the first thing that really grabs you here is the overwelming poverty... it's really unbelievable how some of the people live here. There are shanties everywhere, and I've already seen people bathing in the streets, and the obligatory cows / goats / stray dogs in the middle of the road.

I wouldn't even want to attempt driving here, it's definitely a nightmare. I'm gonna see if I can capture some in-car video, because it really is insane. There really are no traffic laws, and things like stop lights are just a recommendation... LOL Some of the vehicles are pretty amusing, also.. there's these little powered rickshaws, and this car called an Ambassador all over the place... I missed my opportunity to capture a pic of one that had "SPEED" in huge letters on the side.. You all would have gotten a kick out of it.

I'll post up some pics and videos once I have a chance. Hope N F-body is still kicking *** in the CCC races... wish I could be there!

Last edited by DrEvyl; 06-04-2007 at 02:49 AM.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be safe Zeke. It sounds like you'll have lots to share.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hurry up and come back, we got waxed at Bremerton on Saturday, and there weren't many of us there to begin with!

Anyhow, hope you're having a good time out there... well, as much as you can while on a business trip. I'm looking forward to those pics!
Old 06-04-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tranzor
Hurry up and come back, we got waxed at Bremerton on Saturday, and there weren't many of us there to begin with!

Anyhow, hope you're having a good time out there... well, as much as you can while on a business trip. I'm looking forward to those pics!
Sounds like a good time Zeke.

Oh and BTW, make sure you try some of the local, I think they call it, "Tang". It's a breakfast delight. Like the saying goes, nothing like some Pune-Tang to get your day going.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:17 PM
10 Second Club

Have fun and be safe! I too will be visiting places similar to that soon.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrEvyl
I think the first thing that really grabs you here is the overwelming poverty... it's really unbelievable how some of the people live here. There are shanties everywhere, and I've already seen people bathing in the streets, and the obligatory cows / goats / stray dogs in the middle of the road.

I wouldn't even want to attempt driving here, it's definitely a nightmare. I'm gonna see if I can capture some in-car video, because it really is insane. There really are no traffic laws, and things like stop lights are just a recommendation... LOL Some of the vehicles are pretty amusing, also.. there's these little powered rickshaws, and this car called an Ambassador all over the place... I missed my opportunity to capture a pic of one that had "SPEED" in huge letters on the side.. You all would have gotten a kick out of it.
Youre not joking about the poverty level. I remember the first time I went to a 3rd world country (not sure if India is considered 3rd world though), it was absolutely shocking how people lived. Open sewers running down the street, the cows, dogs, sheep, elephants (I was in thailand) wandering around.

The cars though will make you laugh every time though! Some of those people do anything thing they can to "pimp thier ride". Some look like a JC Whiteny catalog blew up all over the car. And driving conditions make the morning 405 commute look like a sunday drive. I have never really been afraid for my life in a vehicle, that was until Thailand. Every time you stepped on to a "baht bus", you werent sure if you were going to make it to your destination.
Old 06-04-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Buy some Tang while you're there.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

sounds like where i am at, baghdad iraq real shithole... except you get blown up driving around
Old 06-04-2007, 01:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tylerb59
Buy some Tang while you're there.

groan.........................

Old 06-04-2007, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Just make sure you end up with a "cute goat"....and remember, the cows are protected over there.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Youre not joking about the poverty level. I remember the first time I went to a 3rd world country (not sure if India is considered 3rd world though), it was absolutely shocking how people lived. Open sewers running down the street, the cows, dogs, sheep, elephants (I was in thailand) wandering around.

The cars though will make you laugh every time though! Some of those people do anything thing they can to "pimp thier ride". Some look like a JC Whiteny catalog blew up all over the car. And driving conditions make the morning 405 commute look like a sunday drive. I have never really been afraid for my life in a vehicle, that was until Thailand. Every time you stepped on to a "baht bus", you werent sure if you were going to make it to your destination.
In what part of Thailand were you? I ask because I lived there for 7 years -by choice, I was not military.
Old 06-04-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I'm all settled into my temporary home for the next two weeks in the lovely Sun & Sand hotel in the sprawling metropolis of Pune, India. I'm almost as far away as you could possibly get from the Pacific Northwest without leaving the planet.

I'm going to have a lot of pictures to share here shortly... I think the first thing that really grabs you here is the overwelming poverty... it's really unbelievable how some of the people live here. There are shanties everywhere, and I've already seen people bathing in the streets, and the obligatory cows / goats / stray dogs in the middle of the road.

I'll post up some pics and videos once I have a chance. Hope N F-body is still kicking *** in the CCC races... wish I could be there!
Just try to stay well. It's really difficult to avoid getting sick. I assume you know about not drinking anything but bottled water -avoid drinks with ice, and hope for the best.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:23 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Well, here's a few of the pictures I've snapped so far just to give you an idea...

This is the Central Bank of India office near the Mumbai airport.. and those little black cars, those are the "Ambassador" car I was talking about. One of them had the word "SPEED" written on the kick panel of the doors on it in letters about 8" tall. Those things are EVERYWHERE, there's zillions of them and they all look alike.

Now tell me... would YOU trust your money to a bank that looked like that?

You can see that the economy is changing, though, because there's a lot of newer, nicer cars driving around also... Toyotas, Chevies, etc.. they are all really small. There's really no need for horsepower around here, as you'll never go more than about 30 mph... even on their "expressway" the speed limit is 80 kmh (about 50 mph). Cars around here need to be small and manueverable.

I will have to get some pics of the more rough sections that I've been through, because some of it is really bad.

This is the view from my hotel room.

That building with the red "C" on it is the Central Mall of Pune.... very Western... it's kinda like shopping at Target. The building that says KBC on it is the Pune radio station. There is a huge building owned by Bajaj, which is a company that makes motorcycles here in India, that is right down the street also. The area I am in right now caters very heavily to the Western visitors and upscale Indians.

Probably looks like not so bad of a place.. but it's also kinda odd to see people living in shanties underneath a billboard that advertises penthouse apartments. Most of the city makes Mexico look like a beacon of prosperity.

I'll get some pics and video of the poor areas once we do some traveling in daylight. I've been working on the US Day shift... so I go to work at 7:30 pm and get off at 5:00 am... it's been too dark to shoot any pictures.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:33 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Oh, and for the record... they pronounce it "POON-ay". But I have to say.. Man, there are some HHHHHHHHHOT (!!) Indian chicks here. Dayum!! I will have to try to get some pictures.. apparently, though, you don't just walk up and talk to them, it's considered very rude for a man to talk to a female without being formally introduced.

And yes, bottled water, Western-style hotel food, and the crapload of power bars and trail mix I packed in my suit case have been my staples here. Nothing in a glass, no ice. I even brush my teeth and wash my hands with bottled water, and I carry a little bottle of hand sanitizer around with me. I've managed to stay pretty healthy so far (knock on wood), and have even managed to eat here for 4 days without getting the screaming *****... so I think I'm ahead of the game there.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Crazy!

Stay safe.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

But I have to say.. Man, there are some HHHHHHHHHOT (!!) Indian chicks here. Dayum!! I will have to try to get some pictures.. apparently, though, you don't just walk up and talk to them, it's considered very rude for a man to talk to a female without being formally introduced.
Yeah, Indian women are just dead sexy! Do they have belly dancing clubs or has the media been lying to me all my life?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/581249...belly_dance_d/

^^^^ Must watch to the end!

Last edited by wws699; 06-05-2007 at 12:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

The women are more dangerous than the food. I am sure you'll have lots of chances... just don't.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

Actually there's a belly dancing Persian place down the street where I work in the Sodo district. Most people don't even know it's there.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:39 AM
TECH Addict

Kolbeh? haha Oh yea, a customer of mine...
Old 06-05-2007, 04:51 AM
teh PuRpL3z

Originally Posted by wws699
Yeah, Indian women are just dead sexy! Do they have belly dancing clubs or has the media been lying to me all my life?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/581249...belly_dance_d/

^^^^ Must watch to the end!
You're Satan, aren't you?