Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Need Help on getting my totaled SS back to life and on the road again

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 05:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help on getting my totaled SS back to life and on the road again

I totaled my camaro and bought it back from the insurance company and I have someone that can fix my frame and I can fix all of the cosmetics that are damaged but when I do I was needing to know how I would go about getting it legal to get insurance and a tag back on it to drive it again since the clean title was sent off to be replaced with a salvage title with the red flag on it that it cant be driven. I dont know if I can fix it and get it inspected or do I have to let someone with a rebuilders license help me with it but the one guy here in my town that has a license is skeptical to helping me get the title back to where I can drive it again because he wants to fix the whole thing instead of letting me fix it. Someone have any tips on this!

Old 12-16-2008, 05:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

be very careful, make sure you talk to the inspectors and ask them what the rules are.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure what state you're in but you should call the DMV and ask them what the process is for getting it back on the road.... In know in CA you'll need a brake and lamp certification but not sure about any other state. You won't be able to get rid of the salvage title though. That will stay on the car for life. As far as insurance it may be pretty hard to get full coverage on a salvage title if it's even possible, you may only be able to get liability on it.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

basically any body shop can take care of it. a lot of people that have their cars totaled and its its only totalled by 1000 or so a lot of people tend to pay out of pocket or something. basically the car has to be completely fixed and the frame and to be in almost perfect line. i would recommend having it pulled by someone with a genesis system or some kind of laser alignment frame rack so that you can have print outs of the frame readings to prove its been put back into line. basically the titles never going to be clean again. when its all fixed your going to want to trailer it and get it inspected and then if it passes inspection they will issue the title but it will be a rebuild title.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What's your location?
Old 12-17-2008, 06:42 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get the rule book, follow it a "T" and when you bring the car it needs to be FLAT bedded. No wheels can touch the ground.

Inspectors not only check the damage, the whole car gets reinspected, **a cigarrette lighter that doesnt work is grounds for a fail

Connecticut is very strict and often people go to Vermont to get a VT plate and cleans the title enough for the car to eb on the road and you do not need to be a resident. My bro has a 93 LX Notch and was totalled for stereo equipment and the owner who is a cop didnt get the title fixed, and it was a huge issue where money exhanged hands and he was going to have to take the car through.

He took it out of state. The car drives fine. Go fig.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:25 AM
11 Second Club

location?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Teching In

Alabama
Old 12-18-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow thats it? and its totald? wtf? my car has been through way worse! right at 8000 dollars worth worse!!! lol

gl with that rebuild
Old 12-18-2008, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Yea its sucks they blow the adjusters always blow the price out the roof on fixing these things and I also found out he would like to have the car himself which is why he may have totaled thinking I would let the insurance have it so he could get it or something. The engine is not hurt at all. All the fluids are still good and still runs and doesn't make any noises just needs to be straightened back out to be able to drive it on the road then I can do everything else. Oh and i got good news I talked to a re builder in a different town that will let me fix the car myself and pay him 300 dollars to have it inspected and get it legal to drive on the road again and thats well worth it. LET THE REBUILD BEGIN!! LOL
Old 12-18-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

just out of curiosity how much does it run to buy a car back from insurance?
Old 12-19-2008, 01:27 AM
Teching In

They are only charging me 2,000 but Ive heard each insurance company is different
Old 12-22-2008, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

when i got hit and my 93 z28(65k miles, great condition) was totaled i bought it back from insurance for like $200. yes, TWO HUNDRED.

the guy i sold it to fixed it for $3k